Africa Twin vs Super Tenere - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 12:45 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
In terms of fuel economy it depends on what you're actually getting done. But for the most part performance costs something and it's usually gasoline.
I think if I could get 5-10hp more out of it without ruining reliability or fuel economy I'd be a happy boy. But then, I haven't ridden the bike yet so maybe when I do I won't feel like I need it.

I'll wait to see what people start doing for performance mods once there are more owners out there.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherbiker View Post
I've never added an aftermarket exhaust and done a remap on a bike before, but I'm considering it with the AT as I can't help but feel there's more potential to be had out of a 1000cc engine. But I'm a bit nervous about it. For those who have done this sort of thing before, does it affect reliability or longevity of the engine? Does it tend to significantly reduce fuel economy?
As someone who has added an aftermarket exhaust to many of my previously owned motorcycles I can say the following:

Generally, I try to avoid a full system replacement because the cost outweighs the performance gains unless you are going racing. As soon as you change the headers on an exhaust system then you should(have to sometimes) look at changing the air/fuel ratio which means additional equipment and tuning. That is why I only mentioned weight and throttle response as the gains in my previous comment. To me they are significant enough and cost effective if you simply change the silencer and remove the catalytic converter. The engine will still run smoothly after this and you don't have to change the fuelling. I've always noticed better throttle response after this small change because the emissions standards tend to suck the life out of the engine and restrict the airflow. The added bonus is the sound

You don't get more HP unless you go the whole route and do the fine tuning to match a new full system exhaust. Sometimes manufacturers like Ducati and KTM will offer a factory exhaust option that comes with a new fuel map but I don't see Honda going this route with the AT. It is still hellishly expensive though.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 AM

Garage
To get to 75lbs of torque on my C14 it takes an additional 1,000+ RPM. Torque tops out at just under 90lbs. Those two 500cc jugs are doing well for the AT!

Marc

AMA & IBA member
2017 690 Enduro R | 2012 Concours 14
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 10:55 AM

I put 17k on a 2012 S10.

I now have 485 on a DCT.

Wind protection. AT, less buffeting.
General road handling. AT, I have had some sort of pivot just behind the headstock on the 10. Even with 21/18 that AT likes the twisties.
Power. S10, no comparison. The AT might be fooling you with the perfect linear torque curve tho.
Seat. AT. I got used the stock 10 seat and came to not mind it at all. The AT is a smidge softer and feels better with the AK sheepskin.
Ergos. AT fits me nice.
Brakes. S10 has a slight edge here. Possible because it has less travel so a lot less dive etc but also I liked the linked brakes. The AT is getting better as they bed in tho.
Susp. AT easily. The 10 felt sporty stiff and at time bumps upset the line. Maybe apples to oranges?
2-up. My wife said the seat on the AT might be a bit bigger and nicer shaped. Tie as of now.
Fit/Finish/overall design. S10 has a slight edge so far in my limited time working and riding on it.
Fuel consumption. AT, I'm already getting 47-48 on 2-lane. I expect that to be around 50 after a few thousand miles. Moving faster on the superslab it dropped to 45-ish.

edit: Engine heat. S10. I have yet to ride a bike with better engine heat control.
Ease of coming to a stop. AT, steering nice a light to easly drop one foot as you com to a stop. The S10 just felt reluctant.

The two areas the S10 wins in ease of maintenance with shaft drive and power. The rest is pretty much AT.

I reserve the right to change my mind as the miles rack up.

after 2k miles edit II: two-up my wife like the AT much better. I'm thinking the general size and shape help.

Brakes on the AT are pretty friken good. Tie as of now.

After 7+ hours planted in the saddle yesterday my ass started to complain about 5.5 to 6 hours in. I was using an Alaskan sheepskin as a buffer.

DCT is just so nice and easy. You don't realize how easy it makes riding the bike until you don't have to clutch and shift 500 times in one day.
rider_marc likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page