CRF1000 vs Triumph Tiger Explorer - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 10:09 PM

I find the throttle very twitchy starting off also. I put on a "cramp buster" to help with highway riding and had to take it off. More than once I bumped it while going for the front brake and the bike would jump forward. Scary to say the least. I have ordered a Kaoke throttle lock which I hope will help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:30 PM

I find the AT very responsive at low throttle, but it was miles easier to control after I adjusted the humongous amount of slack out of the cable.

I like all my bikes to have virtually no play in the throttle cable, that way as soon as I touch the throttle the engine is responding, it makes it much easier to balance going slowly or maneuver the bike.

Just check by turning the handlebars from lock to lock with the bike ticking over that it is not so tight that it affects the normal idling.

When I put it in for the first service they unfortunately adjusted it back as it says in the manual, next time it goes in I will specifically request they don't alter my personal settings.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 04:10 AM

I don't find my DCT's throttle response to be abrupt at all. Far tamer than my flashed Super Tenere.

2016 Tricolor DCT

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:56 AM
rbw

I own a Triumph Tiger 800 XRx, which is the roadie version, so this comparison will be a bit apples to oranges, but since I've been seriously considering the switch to the AT, I'll toss in my comparison notes. I've test ridden the DCT AT, so have a small amount of direct comparison, but most of it will be based on features and the things I learned while riding the Triumph.

The Tiger weighs about 40 lbs less, it has cruise control, 17/19 inch cast wheels with tubeless tires, it has a power outlet that will run higher draw items, such as a heated jacket liner or an air pump, it has self-canceling turn signals, the windshield is adjustable and it came with a center stand. The power is a kick in the pants on the street, as is the handling.

The AT has almost 20 ft/lbs more torque and you can really feel the difference when riding. The Tiger's power delivery is almost road racer like, in that some clutch slipping is required to get going, then it pulls through moderate mid-range power. When you get things spinning in that little motor, it pulls quite strongly in upper mid-range through top end. This is fun on the pavement, but is definitely not the hot set up in the dirt. With significantly more low end grunt, the AT has the motor advantage off-road, hands down. The AT also has about an inch more suspension travel, much simpler TC/ABS controls, and the TC can be changed while riding. Both bikes have the typical (suckful) default reset upon turning the bike off. Like I said, my Tiger is the roadie, but the XC (17/21 wire spoke wheels & WP suspension) has the same motor and power characteristics, so I'd have to give a large advantage to the Honda when the pavement ends. As far as street riding and open road touring go, I'd give the nod to the Triumph.

I have years of dirt riding experience and if there were more places to ride off-road around here these days, I'd give up the street advantages of the Tiger and switch to the AT as soon as I could find one to buy.

Last edited by rbw; 12-11-2016 at 02:19 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:42 PM

Garage
I would attribute the throttle response mostly to the ultra-lean mapping on the bike. Honda just trying to get the thing to meet emissions.

Team Dorkmissle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page