2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin Competition - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:11 AM

Garage
I met a guy from Queensland, Australia last year who was riding a Tiger 800. I asked him about the bike, he said that he has had no issues with the bike. He had crossed Europe many times, showed me his map.

CRF1000L, wow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessuno View Post
doesn't the tiger have a mechanical vulnerability? Or is that just more posturing from ADVrider?
I know the power comes on much higher up in the RPM range, which makes it more suited for the street than the dirt. You end up having to ride it more like a two stroke to get to the power. Awesome looking bike though, and probably number two on my 'next bike' list.

I'd rather be riding.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurer View Post
models competing with the all-new crf1000l:
  • bmw r1200gs,
  • ducati multistrada 1200,
  • ktm 1290 super adventure r
bmw f800gs
Sloth likes this.

Hamburger fattened and in the wind
33K miles on my '12 DR650

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I'm sorry I wasn't aware BMW and Ducati were small brands... Ducati is backed by Audi now...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
He wasn't implying that BMW and Ducati were "small" brands. His point was that a company with the name recognition Honda has shouldn't have a problem breaking into the market segment and having good sales, despite being a relative newcomer

Bernie Sanders. 2016.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:58 AM

After 3 years of Ducati 1200 Multistrada I moved to Honda as the Multi is NOT the slightest bit off road orientated and also has massive reliability issues. I wanted something more rugged and defiantly more reliable.
The Ducati scores in it's handling and power but that's it.
I was expecting to be quite disappointed getting on the Africa Twin after the performance of the Multi but I wasn't. The performance is excellent and on rough roads its just spectacular.
The difference in HP is basically irrelevant as you hardly ever get to use the extra 50HP the Ducati allegedly has (I have my doubts) over the Honda.
Overall I wish I'd had the Honda before.
The comfort on the Africa Twin is superior too, much to my surprise. Wind protection is about the same and fuel consumption works out at 56MPG also about the same.
Maintenance and servicing looks to be much much less expensive.
Denburger and dancerdave like this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:50 PM

The bmw 800 would be the direct competition for the at.
The older ktm950/990 are close but the newer Ktms power and price put them in a slightly different class, and in my mind they aren't as nimble off road in the hands of average riders.
I sold my 800gs to get my AT. The 800 was good, but the at is better.
More power, nicer motor, Great ergos, and it's a Honda.
I like big power, having come from the sport bike segment.
But being a sport bike guy you quickly learn that talent is more important than massive power.
95 hp is perfect for this bike.
So, competition? What compition?
IMHO
Drum Dog and Denburger like this.

More Hondas than others
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 AM

I've ridden quite a few different models before buying the AT and the only one that I really liked (besides the AT) was the Multistrada Enduro.
It has a very charismatic engine and the steering is really nimble
Than again it's bloody expensive and I didn't really feel connected to the bike.
I've had the same feeling with some other bikes like the tiger 1200 and 1200 GSA where the different riding modes, complicated traction control, wheelie control... make it feel to digital, where bikes like the AT and 800 GS feel more analog.
It feels more like 'what you see is what you get' and I personally like that.
You know the way the throttle will react and where the strong points in the rev range are. Just like you know the way the suspension reacts in every condition.
That way you can always react accordingly, without being unpleasantly surprised by the way your bike behaves, because it's in the wrong setting.

To me the engine and ergonomics of the tiger 800 made it feel like a naked bike rather than an off-road or touring bike. The engine has a a great sound to it, but when you're accelerating, just at the point where you think "wow, this is great", the rev limiter kicks in and you're left a bit disappointed.

The tiger 1200 felt heavy and slow when maneuvering and trough slow corners, but it has a fantastic engine!

Overall I haven't had the slightest doubt that the Africa Twin was the right bike for me.
The engine has a ton of character, the steering is light and nimble, the ergonomics are perfect for touring and commuting and you can have so much fun trowing it around and wheelieing without having the feeling that it's to much to handle (most of the time).

In the end I guess it's completely subjective, which is why I'm really happy with my AT and the other guy may be trilled with his GS.
Perhaps if my last bike wasn't a varadero but a speed triple, I would have ended up with a tiger 800?! Who knows...
Jimrides likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page