Bike Magazine's Bike of The Year 2016 - Honda Africa Twin - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By S4MST3R

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Bike Magazine's Bike of The Year 2016 - Honda Africa Twin

Was it ever in doubt? Can't post in Africa Twin News so chucking this here

2nd place was Triumph's Thruxton R (really?), 3rd place their Street Twin, 4th was Yam's Tracer 700 and 5th was Ducati's Multistrada Enduro

Here's the Africa's write up (DCT model). I disagree that you can't wheelie the model. Of course you can't clutch up the front wheel, but with HSTC off, manual mode engaged, roll along in 1st - close throttle - crack it in 1st and it comes up a treat, trigger 2nd and she stays up beautifully. These testers don't know what they're doing :-)

eltel62 and Peter Kiwi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:21 AM

Good article and I am off to the very same place on my AT in October with Austin. The point about wheelie's is a valid one, the bike has enough power to loft the front at the right revs, you need a clutch when you need to pop the front at low speed over obstacles.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Yes - point taken, you can't just induce a pop of the front at will with the clutch

Enjoy your trip!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadoganpier View Post
Good article and I am off to the very same place on my AT in October with Austin. The point about wheelie's is a valid one, the bike has enough power to loft the front at the right revs, you need a clutch when you need to pop the front at low speed over obstacles.
Err.. you can actually wheelie it!

TC off.. manual mode... rear brake on.. throttle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Silver DCT No.000011 -Complete Trans America Trail '16. Check the blog.
Please add your location to your stats!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 02:08 PM

Nice story, thanks for sharing it! I got my AT 3 weeks ago and absolutely love it so far! Had it on fine Florida sugar sand with stock tires and it still handles great, incredible for 500 pounds worth!

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page