AT Dislikes? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 21Likes

post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 05:10 PM

Two problems I noted quickly. First, the CR1000L does not come with the centerstand as a standard option. The centerstand comes in handy making repairs and parking in tight spots where you can't use the side stand. It's hard for me to imagine why a company would release the all new adventure touring bike without a centerstand?? Also, there is no cruise control. I understand that the new AT is more offroad oriented but you have to get there first and that means you might have to cover thousands of miles of super slab. Honda, please fix these!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 08:34 PM

Garage
I two am disappointed that Honda did not equip the AT with a center stand, but I,m more upset with the delivery dates. They should be 2017 models.
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 08:46 PM

Re: the long first gear... that's one of the many reasons I'm going DCT. I do ride off-road, sometimes technical slow stuff. When I saw the video of a test ride (somewhere in England, on a test track) with them basically idling along at about 2 to 3 mph between cones without any issue, I fell in love. An "automatic" that actually worked like an automatic. Self feathering, if you will. They said you can't stall it if even if you tried. That's all I need.

Things will always turn out good in the end. If things are not good, then it is not yet the end.

post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 09:03 PM

Cruise control won't be added any time soon. The AT isn't ride-by-wire so it'd be very expensive and complicated for Honda to add cruise control.

I'm going to get an MCCruise system fitted after market.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 04:31 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and comfort personal.
I swapped from BMW 1200 GS with all the electronics because I don't want to worry about , or pay for repairs of said electronics.
A simple, modern, quality bike that does what it says on the 'tin'.
When a BMW switch, made in China, costs 220 to replace I decided to swap.
I never liked the cruise control much, adjusting suspension is simple once you work out the settings and there will never be expensive motors to repair, ride modes I only ever used road and dynamic and didn't notice that much difference.
I loved the GS but am not prepared to own one out of warranty.
I have 600 miles on AT, first service this afternoon, and I'm more than happy.
I hope to have this in my garage forever and don't expect to be disappointed, I might add a BMW R80 GS (1984) to keep it company if I can find a nice one at the right price.
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:05 AM

I've been trialling the BMW GS/GSA as well as the AT. I thought I wanted cruise and electronic suspension etc. But once I rode the two close together I realised that, whilst shorter on power, the Honda is smoother (engine-wise and ride-wise), less turbulent and just as much fun. My only drift to the dark side of electronics is the DCT gearbox as I think it is really nice and adds an element of fun - and I imagine it will be fantastic at the end of a long day when trying to find the camp-site or hotel and/or being stuck in traffic. And as it's a Honda you'd hope it won't give up 10 minutes after the warranty expires.

So, essentially, my only dislike is the tubes and as that has been done to death and I've chosen to ignore it I guess it doesn't matter.

(My dealer is also refitting their showroom and will have a coffee machine - so there is even less reason to visit a BMW dealer).
post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fster View Post
I two am disappointed that Honda did not equip the AT with a center stand, but I,m more upset with the delivery dates. They should be 2017 models.
I guess the bikes and included accessories vary from country to country. We have 3 models in Australia. Base model (CRF1000) with no ABS/Traction control, bulb indicators and no bash plate (so I'm told). Second model (CRF1000A) has ABS, Torque control, LED indicators, bash plate and centre stand. Third model (CRF1000D) has the same accessories as the ABS with the DCT transmission.
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:42 AM

Garage
We have the same spec options here , and silver and black seem to be the only colour options for the "base model "
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 AM

Things that I dislike are:
I wish the inlet valves were rocker adjusted( like the exhaust), to make home servicing easier and cheaper.
I wish the silencer can wasn't so big and high (but most bikes in this class are nowadays) -panniers just don't look good or fit well with these high silencer.
I would have preferred a 19" spoked front wheel to lessen the overall height of the bike (I only ride on road).
I would have like it to be about 215kg wet.
I still think up side down forks are a fashion - thing and think traditional forks are more reliable, easier to work on and more compliant.
However, I still think it is the best looking bike on the market!
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:26 PM

Not having cruise control will hopefully be addressed in the aftermarket as I'm sure it's not rocket science to develop, and there'l be plenty of demand
Is it a cable or wired throttle ?

Heated grips not warm enough for really cold days

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page