AT Dislikes? - Page 8 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 28Likes

post #71 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 05:39 PM

You should've taken it on a (longer) test ride.
My advice..............sell it get another used bike.

M
Mudslinger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 06:41 PM

First gear is way too high. Feels more like a second gear. Impossible to ride slowly without riding the clutch. Poorly thought out by Honda.

Jerky throttle at low RPM. It is impossible to ride along at 15-20 MPH without having the engine jerk back and forth (slapping the chain) because the throttle is goofy.

I'm American, 6'2, 235 lbs with a size 14 (48) boot. the foot pegs, shifter and rear peddles were made for little people; most likely designed by a 4 ft, 85 lb. Japanese engineer. Why would Honda build a big bike like this and make the peddles for midgets?
eltel62 and King of Beers like this.
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 10:17 AM

Garage
Agree!

First, this is a cherry-poppin' post.

2nd, I couldn't agree more with this post. Great bike! I've had a major construction accident and two major back surgeries. This bike is easy on the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by African Twin Mofo View Post
Haters.......gonna hate!

Not a rub or flame but it is funny to read some of the dislikes and the over analyzing. The tubed tire comments are the funniest for some reason......don't get me wrong, I understand the reasoning and I get it but geeez.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me but com'on......do more riding and less analyzing. It's a $13,000 adventure bike. Before this you were stuck with BMW and KTM on the upper end and everything cost too much $$$$, or you had the hammers and chisels KLR, DRZ, WR250R at the other end. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Okay.......I'll play along....... Dislikes, my butt hurts from the seat after putting 8hrs of riding in a day and not wanting to stop.......because this bikes way tooooo much fun! ;-)

..rb

post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 08:18 PM

I found the stock screen to be terrible and I'm 6' 1". Even at lower speeds I'd get an unacceptable level of noise. I fixed this with a MRA vario screen and now all is good.

Foot pegs too small. Bought a pair of Honda XR600 pegs for $20 from ebay and they are great.

Seat.. actually I find the seat really comfortable.

Tubed tyres.. not a problem. All dirt bikes have them, as did the big KTMs. My old BMW 650 Dakar had them too and I just don't understand all the drama about them. People have been crossing the globe on tubed motorcycles for decades.

Plastics look pretty exposed and there is a distinct lack of mounting points for engine guards which is weird considering what the bike was designed for. They do offer good wind protection for the legs though.
eltel62 likes this.
post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:15 AM

bought mine in the start of last year and thinking of changing to something else. don't know what yet prob a kato
done 9000k and don't like all the things mentioned above either plus small tank, 30 yr old technology in the suspension, tyres too dear, center stand and chain make too much noise offroad
post #76 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 06:35 PM

R version will be the bike most of us were wanting them to deliver
heres hoping! ill trade tomorrow
post #77 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:47 PM

I have the corrosion issue and not just spokes but spoke nipples also on the rear wheel. The front is only mildly impacted.
post #78 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Yak

Garage
I can't stand this digital tach craze that has hit the market recently. Dial and Needle is still the best. Didn't the Chevy Beretta have this "hockey stick" design in 1988? AT Tach is almost useless at a quick glance.

Rides:
2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC (sold)
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Yamaha YZ250F
2016 Honda Africa Twin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Yak624
post #79 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
I can't stand this digital tach craze that has hit the market recently. Dial and Needle is still the best. Didn't the Chevy Beretta have this "hockey stick" design in 1988? AT Tach is almost useless at a quick glance.
this......i don't get why Honda released the bike with a dash that's "dimly" lit.......what did they see that other folks can't? either that or allow for contrast/brightness adjustability. bothersome.

2016 Ducati MTS Pikes Peak #307 | 2012 Vespa 300 Super

past: Ducatis, BMWs, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and a Thruxton Rl
post #80 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Joe

Hi had my manual LA for a few days and as mentioned by others on this thread.
Tall first gear
Footpegs goes without saying.
Very jerky/ aggressive throttle response from no throttle to first little bit of throttle. Will get used to it but it is annoying when in first gear at slow speeds is the most annoying.
Other wise not to bad and the niggles will go away when I get used to them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page