CRF1000L Suspension Too Soft? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 14Likes

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 07:36 PM

Should be a non-issue. The suspension is fully adjustable, front and rear.

I know a lot of newer riders have some road bike experience, but when they first get on an ADV or dirt bike they think the suspension is too soft. As a rule, any decent off-road suspension will be softer, at least at the beginning of compression, and it's set up that way for a reason. It handles the rough stuff much better than a stiffer set-up. No, it's not like a road package, because it does very different duty. Learn how to adjust your adjustable suspension for your weight and riding style, and you'll come to love your bike (even more, hopefully!)
Eurico likes this.

Things will always turn out good in the end. If things are not good, then it is not yet the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

2Sun, my experience comes from owning a 2007 Aprilia Caponord. I love the bike, but the front suspension is prone to dive when I grab a handful of brake. It's really annoying for street riding.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 11:54 AM

I do not think the front suspension is too soft, It is perfect for all types of terrain.

Dive a little, but normal for a long-travel suspension, and fully adjustable, only has to be

adjusted for weight and type of terrein, soft/hard/road.....

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
2Sun, my experience comes from owning a 2007 Aprilia Caponord. I love the bike, but the front suspension is prone to dive when I grab a handful of brake. It's really annoying for street riding.
Understandable... I don't know that model all that well; does it have adjustable compression dampening and/or adjustable spring pre-load on the front? Those are usually pretty straight forward items to adjust (assuming they are adjustable on your bike). If not, and assuming you like the bike otherwise and don't mind spending a little time & money on the suspension set-up, you could always step up in spring weight and change to a slightly heavier fork oil.

With regards to this thread, however, the AT suspension is definitely adjustable in all respects (compression, rebound and pre-load), so firming it up would take only a few minutes to do. Just remember to always record what adjustments you make, or you'll get in a snarl quickly, and have to go back to "zero" with all your settings and start over again.

Things will always turn out good in the end. If things are not good, then it is not yet the end.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sun View Post
Just remember to always record what adjustments you make, or you'll get in a snarl quickly, and have to go back to "zero" with all your settings and start over again.
2Sun, good advice on recording the adjustments. It's very easy to lose track of where you started!
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 06:09 AM

Garage
Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Having read everything I could about the new AT, I did come across an amateur review by a guy who said that he didn't like the new AT because he thought the suspension was too soft both for offroad and onroad riding. Can anyone who has ridden the CRF1000L chime in about whether they thought the front and/or rear suspension was too soft? Did you encounter the shocks bottoming out over rough terrain? Did you notice any excessive front end dive? Were the shocks too soft to be sporty in the twisties? I see that Touratech is offering a new rear shock for the AT. Is that because the rear shock is not adequate under heavy loads or hard off-roading? I'm trying to figure out which adventure bike to get and the cost of having to upgrade the suspension on a new bike figures heavily into my decision.Thanks so much!
Even off road different people have quite different ideas on how the bike should feel. For me I like a really plush ride in the dirt and the stock bike is way harsher than I would run in the dirt. You have paid for all that suspension travel you may as well use all of it. When you consider a typical desert express will have 300-340mm of travel (even a DRZ is about 300 the AT is quite constrained at 240mm. It takes 10 seconds to harden it up when you get back on the black-top and the same when you hit the dirt, you will have much more fun if you let the bike do the workout and not you. They have little punch marks on the settings so you know where it is before you start. Just go for a run on the bike and write down how much you wind the settings in different directions and take it a step at a time. You cant break it and you will find the different settings that you like in different conditions. Its a lot more enjoyable as you find out what the bike does as you adjust the suspension to the roads you are riding on. If you are just out for a cruise dont worry about it but if you are out for a bit of fun stopping for two minutes for a bit of a stretch and changing tire pressures and suspension settings for a bit of rough road I find to be a good idea. Generally the bike responds so much better and you have a much better day out for it.
2Sun and abj like this.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:23 PM

Everything Skip D said it great advice, and well worthy of note.

I have just one thing to add: Don't EVER ride it with the adjustments bottomed out all the way. Leave the oil no place to go, you'll trash that nice new suspension in a heartbeat.

Otherwise, play with it. Make those adjustments. Make note of what you've done, and you'll like it more than your first girlfriend once you get it dialed in properly for your ride.

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 03:46 PM

I'm quite a newbie to this off roading....... I just can't get my head around all this suspension talk, why can't I understand the termanology !!!!!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:47 AM

After a long wait I finally got to test ride the Africa twin , I was suitably impressed to put a deposit down . I did find the front forks too soft for road use , at first I thought the brakes were not capable of slowing the bike down but it is the amount of front end dive that gives this impression . Touratech do a progressive fork springs which I might invest in . I found the rest of the bike fantastic and a lot more commutative to the rider then the BMW GS .
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondgeezer View Post
I'm quite a newbie to this off roading....... I just can't get my head around all this suspension talk, why can't I understand the termanology !!!!!
Totally understandable. Start with these fundamentals, and you're on your way to getting it all down:

Preload
(Spring tension, based on your weight)

Damping
(speed the spring squashes and returns to normal )

Compression
(advanced damping control, speed the spring squashes)

Rebound
(advanced damping control, speed the spring returns to normal after been squashed)

Check out this website for more details on each...

http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/mo...ion_set-up.htm

Take a few minutes to read it, and maybe bookmark it for later reference. I found this to be one of the more concise web pages to describe the whole set-up and adjustment process for moto suspensions. There are plenty of sites to choose from, I just like the way this one is laid out, and it gets to the main points quickly without having to sift through pages of theory.

Key take-aways: Only change ONE thing at a time. That's really important. Record your changes. Test each time you make each a change. It may take a little time, but the rewards are fantastic. And if you can, work with someone who has done it before. They can help you get it generally dialed in as you like, and then fine-tuning it yourself later is a snap, once you understand what the cause & effect is of each adjustment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page