CRF1000L Suspension Too Soft? - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 16Likes

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 06:48 AM

its nice for indonesian road....this bike. but for indonesian people seat high to high......usually only 165 cm hehehhehehehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:54 AM

Garage
Had to chime in here regarding the suspension... I, for one, found it to be far too soft, too deep into the stroke, and the high speed damping is extremely harsh. The problems with the suspension have become even more pronounced as I've added accessories or if I'm carrying luggage or a passenger. I have spoken with three different pro suspension tuners and even take my bike into one. The results were unanimous. The bike needs springs, at least, and re-valving wouldn't hurt either. I just picked up the Hyperpro kit for mine and will be taking it to Super Plush to get it installed and tuned.
6986 and eltel62 like this.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPerryPhoto View Post
Had to chime in here regarding the suspension... I, for one, found it to be far too soft, too deep into the stroke, and the high speed damping is extremely harsh. The problems with the suspension have become even more pronounced as I've added accessories or if I'm carrying luggage or a passenger. I have spoken with three different pro suspension tuners and even take my bike into one. The results were unanimous. The bike needs springs, at least, and re-valving wouldn't hurt either. I just picked up the Hyperpro kit for mine and will be taking it to Super Plush to get it installed and tuned.
What do you do with your bike? Highway or dirt roads?

Before changing anything, you know the suspension can be adjusted in many, many ways, right?

PS - of course if you go to a suspension shop, they will tell you the stock suspension is sh.t and will sell you stuff. ;-) So far, and for the past 10 months this bike has been offered, most people only have great things to say about the suspension.

1988 RD03 Africa twin
1996 RD07a Africa Twin

https://www.facebook.com/Massive-Ride-1153740581384956/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1153795721379442

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 03:16 AM

I find the suspension works great for both rough dirt roads and aggressive road riding. Given its long stroke, there will be fork dive under hard braking but it can be mitigated through adequate use of the rear brake and also by using the strong engine braking. Put that slipper clutch to work!

2016 Tricolor DCT
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 05:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Lee View Post
What do you do with your bike? Highway or dirt roads?

Before changing anything, you know the suspension can be adjusted in many, many ways, right?

PS - of course if you go to a suspension shop, they will tell you the stock suspension is sh.t and will sell you stuff. ;-) So far, and for the past 10 months this bike has been offered, most people only have great things to say about the suspension.

I take varying routes to destinations that often include some relatively easy going off road riding.

I have only been riding for 31 years now and racing for over half of that... Think I got that one figured out. The suspension guys I've talked to have all been people I know from the industry and have tried to sell me exactly nothing. They're just good people.

It's worth noting that you can change the suspension via the adjusters, but not drastically... The springs and valves are what determine the baseline for how the bike will ride, all the little knobs and screws are simply for fine tuning that ride.
johnnysneds likes this.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 06:11 AM

Garage
"I just picked up the Hyperpro kit for mine and will be taking it to Super Plush to get it installed and tuned"

Jason, let us know how the Hyperpro worked out for you if you wouldn't mind. I think the rear is far too soft too (when heavy loaded), front I find OK.

250X7 (first bike 17 years old, T-Boned it in 3 weeks), CB250K4 (needed wheels), CB350K4 (last wheels needed replacing, ran engine without oil after rebuild, DOH!), T500 (didnt handle, didn't care, 2-stroke smoke - EPIC!), 883 Sportster (oh dear, mistake), 1340 Lowrider Covertible (stolen before a year old), Daytona 1200 (heavy, 147BHP mad lump), DR350 (reliable small thumper), CRF1000 (love it)
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 08:53 AM

Hi Maverick,

I agree with Jason and find the AT too softly sprung for both on and off road riding.

My understanding from the Honda people is that the AT is set up for a person weighing 80kg plus an additional 15kg for luggage. For people like me at 110kg plus 50 kg luggage, add-ons and accessories, the suspension is way too soft, even at maximum compression settings.

I have had the front and rear suspension re-valved and re-sprung for my weight and luggage by http://www.krooztune.com/ in Melbourne and it has made a huge difference to the safety and handling of the bike.

Krooztune also have a wealth of information on their website that riders can apply to their own circumstances. I found the setup tips particularly helpful, even after a lifetime on the bikes.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 05:21 AM

Garage
For now mine is ok as I only ride solo on the AT. I will eventually go for a stronger spring but I will also have the shock revalved or have a heavier suspension fluid installed, as the current damping is already compromised and a stronger spring will exacerbate that aspect.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 07:35 AM

I had a look at my stock AT sag today. I have Ractech's suspension bible and tend to follow there expert advise. They state that generally rider sag should be anywhere between 33-35% into the stroke. The Africa Twin's shock has 221mm of travel so that equates into an ideal sag of between 72-77mm. I am 95Kg's and when sat on the bike the race/rider sag reads 105mm that's 47.5% into the stroke. Now taking the rider out of the equation for a minute. With only the stock bike weight on the suspension the "free" sag is 67mm that's 30.3% of the total suspension travel gone before anything- rider, luggage etc, now not much left there to make the 33% target sag is there! All these sag measurements were with the suspension at default pre-load i.e. 7 clicks in from zero clockwise.

I'm waiting on the Hyperpro fork/shock springs to be delivered. Ive also had some feedback from someone else who has just installed the shock spring (+20mm). I think he was around 75KG's. Sitting on the bike with only 3 clicks of pee-load husband sag is 70mm around the 30% mark. Don his riding gear and he should be right in the 33-35% sag range and loads of pre-load to play with (31 clicks)
eltel62 likes this.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:27 PM

Garage
I hope everyone understands that there are a couple of variables to consider when setting Sag - first is to remember that it will take 2000 miles on a bike to have a fairly consistent Sag setting. It's important to set it just after a couple of hundred miles, but you will need to check it a lot as the bushings, shocks & forks break it. When everything is tight, it will take more preload to get down to that 30% area than it will when its broken in.

Second is that personal preference takes precedence in the end. When its all said and done the suspension needs to be setup to what works for you.

Thus far with my ride I am at 25% sag in the front, 30% in the rear. For my 230lbs I am about 3 turns from full stiff on the front adjusters and I am about 5 clicks from full stiff on the rear preload. Now in order to have the 25% sag in the front I have lowered the clamps on the fork by 10mm, which offsets the weight bias of the 5% difference. Bike rides fantastic on the street, even with the Dunlops on it still.

I anticipate if I am doing any trail riding to just soften the dampening

Team Dorkmissle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page