Great bike but 2 observations - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By JbGio
  • 5 Post By old punt
  • 1 Post By Aus AT

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Great bike but 2 observations

I have been riding my AT about 600 miles in Costa Rica, mostly long rides on road. The AT (manual) is so far everything the reviews tell aboit it. There are couple issues I would like to address. First, the seat, is hard for long rides (+100miles). Second, the handlebar. For a 6" tall guy like myself the handle bar need to be lifted.
Said that, the AT is feels fantastic for the meantime. And the 2 issues I mentioned above easy to solve.
Sloth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 10:58 AM

Garage
Hi JbGio, thanks for the info, still waiting for my AT. I am concerned when you say the seat is hard for long rides I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions but don't feel obliged to answer. Are you used to long distance riding and how much do you weigh and did you set the suspension for your riding needs before setting out? Also if suspension is setup okay is the seat hard as in unforgiving or does it deform as the journey progresses getting more uncomfortable?

I'm 6ft also and found sitting on the bike at the dealers the handlebars were very comfortable with no problem sitting upright but when standing on the pegs another 20mm would have been nice.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:51 PM
abj

You are right about the seat. It is to hard for long distance riding. There's a raison to buy a nice rally seat in the future.

I'm 1.75m and the handlebars could even for me be a bit higher! But like you said this all can be easily fixed with aftermarket options!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 05:36 PM

I have done two 1000kl days on my AT and found the seat to be very good,it has plenty of room to move around on and dos'nt lock you into one nut crushing position like most stepped seats do, the front section is narrow easy to slide from side to side on and the back section is wide and flat for good support on long boring sections.I find soft seats are hot and restrict movement,I would say that after 1000k on the AT i have felt fresher and less fateaged than any bike i have done big days on.
abj, williegunn, Camel ADV and 2 others like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old punt View Post
I have done two 1000kl days on my AT and found the seat to be very good,it has plenty of room to move around on and dos'nt lock you into one nut crushing position like most stepped seats do, the front section is narrow easy to slide from side to side on and the back section is wide and flat for good support on long boring sections.I find soft seats are hot and restrict movement,I would say that after 1000k on the AT i have felt fresher and less fateaged than any bike i have done big days on.
......I'm with you....did a 600k day and found the seat fantastic. Mind you my previous touring bike was a MV Agusta F4 sports bike!!! so any thing is pretty much more comfortable.......
abj likes this.

The older I get the faster I was......
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:11 AM

I too have found the seat uncomfortable on long rides.... especially in high heat and high humidity. Makes my butt sweaty and chaffed and sore.... cool days not an issue.

Also the heat from the radiators is impressive on the legs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
I too have found the seat uncomfortable on long rides.... especially in high heat and high humidity. Makes my butt sweaty and chaffed and sore.... cool days not an issue.
no betty swollocks using one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT lambswool.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	13465  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:24 AM

How does that go in the rain?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 03:50 PM

Seat in low position and an air hawk seat pad solves all those issues for me,
Z

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page