Just back from 3500mile trip -problems - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 20Likes

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisto View Post
Great write up Hub, Thanks
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I clean mine with S Doc 100, comes up like new, what do you use ?

Daffy, I'm having the same tyres fitted tomorrow, what tyre pressures are you using please, thanks, Graham
I am using the std pressures as per the sticker on the chain guard 29 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear if I recall.

We travelled down loaded with panniers, top box and camping gear and then removed it all for a couple of days in the mountains, I am super impressed with the tyres
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 05:39 PM

Pleased to hear it, thanks Daffy

Adventure before Dementia,
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
I swapped 2014 GS 1200LC for AT and after 3000 miles I'm very happy.
Hello,
I'm confused between this two beauties... Impossible to decide for months. I have a 800GS for 5 years, using it in Paris every week and mainly traveling with my wife around Europe and further a LOT.
I'm just scared of the big 1200GS and of "no so confortable" AT, yes I tried both, but I'm still stuck in this choice.

What do you think of your AT compared to 1200GS ?

Help :P

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 04:08 AM

For long distance touring with pillion and luggage I would choose the 1200GS, for everything else I prefer the Africa Twin. For the difference in price you could make the AT perfect for whatever your main use is.

CZ 360, DT175, xt600, fzr600, r1100gs, r1150r, drz400, f800gs, r1200gs, r1200gsLC, CRF1000L
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 11:04 AM

I have had my AT/DCT since May and have logged several thousand miles both on and offroad. I agree with many of the observations previously posted however I feel several aspects of the bike need refinement:
1. the stock suspension is good but soft for anyone over 90kg/#200...Hyperpro suspension kit is a highly recommended improvement especially for offroad application.
2. Stock pegs are garbage, I switched to the Pivotpegz and highly recommend larger pegs with more control/grip surface.
3. Batzen screen adjuster is a 10 especially for getting the GPS up to eye-level and tailoring the highway ride experience.
4. Eastern Beaver PAC-8 is perfect and super easy for all the desired applications requiring power.
5. Love the Mitas Dakar E-9 front but the Mitas Dakar E-10 did not last more than 2500 miles (back to K60 Scout rear). E-10 is good traction offroad and predictable on road while they lasted
6. Finally, for anyone sitting on the fence or whether to go manual or DCT, I can tell you the DCT is a 10! I have no complaints either on or offroad and find using the S3/TC1/G setting always has the bike in the right gear offroad and the S3/TC3 setting is perfect on the tarmac.
Hope these observations help answer some of the concerns other AT riders may have or question.
PS...Holan crash, engine guards and pannier racks were perfect once they arrived and were fitted...but that's another story!
NBV and DreamRider like this.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 03:46 PM

That's some really good changes for the AT ! Thank you so much.

Do you have some preference about the seat for 2, mainly on tarmac ? Offroad on 2, no way...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 11:57 AM

My experience almost entirely echoes the original post including my SET SWITCH being replaced under warranty. I also love the Karoo 3s, they're better than expected off-road and encourage you to ride smoothly on road.
Mike
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
The Conti trail attacks suit this bike perfectly (the OE Dunlops were awful)
How where these tires in the wet? A test mentioned they're not the best in wet conditions ?
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrophoto View Post
Hello,
I'm confused between this two beauties... [1200GS vs AT] Impossible to decide for months. I have a 800GS for 5 years, using it in Paris every week and mainly traveling with my wife around Europe and further a LOT. I'm just scared of the big 1200GS and of "no so confortable" AT, yes I tried both, but I'm still stuck in this choice.
What do you think of your AT compared to 1200GS ?
Help :P
I too am on the fence as well between the 1200GS and AT. Time to change up from my 1200RT and DR650.
The RT has been to Baja and Chicken Alaska but is not happy on gravel. I love the heated grips, factory waterproof luggage and long range comfort.
The DR is a blast on gravel and forest service roads but a pig on single track and not something I'd ride to Alaska. Wolfman luggage is OK but fiddley.
I intend to explore more of the gravel roads / FSR's here in BC. I've ridden the 1200GS but I'm leery of the spoked rims guys have bent on stuff my DR bashed over. They sit on the Cylinder head when down so are pretty easy to pick up.
There is no AT to test ride and dealers keep saying most of their 2017's are pre-sold. Hard to commit to something I can't test ride. And I can't lay one down on the Dealer's floor to try and pick it up.

Can one really travel long distance comfort on the AT and next weekend head to Squamish and keep up with guys riding KTM 990's on rough gravel through river beds?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:24 PM
NBV

Great write up! Thanks!

::.:.::
::.:.::

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page