Just back from 3500mile trip -problems - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 22Likes

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black99S View Post
I too am on the fence as well between the 1200GS and AT. Time to change up from my 1200RT and DR650.
The RT has been to Baja and Chicken Alaska but is not happy on gravel. I love the heated grips, factory waterproof luggage and long range comfort.
The DR is a blast on gravel and forest service roads but a pig on single track and not something I'd ride to Alaska. Wolfman luggage is OK but fiddley.
I intend to explore more of the gravel roads / FSR's here in BC. I've ridden the 1200GS but I'm leery of the spoked rims guys have bent on stuff my DR bashed over. They sit on the Cylinder head when down so are pretty easy to pick up.
There is no AT to test ride and dealers keep saying most of their 2017's are pre-sold. Hard to commit to something I can't test ride. And I can't lay one down on the Dealer's floor to try and pick it up.

Can one really travel long distance comfort on the AT and next weekend head to Squamish and keep up with guys riding KTM 990's on rough gravel through river beds?
I will tell you when I get my red 2017 DCT at the end of January.
Sold my '06 VFR800 and will be selling my '06 DRZ400s.
I think the AT will have no problem keeping up to my riding buddies where we ride in the Squamish & Whistler/Pemberton off-road areas.
And then ride up to Alaska with my road riding buddies.

I looked at the BMW's and the Triumph 800, and have decided on the AT.
Now I have to figure out what tires I'm going to put on it.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
I too am on the fence as well between the 1200GS and AT. Time to change up from my 1200RT and DR650.
The RT has been to Baja and Chicken Alaska but is not happy on gravel. I love the heated grips, factory waterproof luggage and long range comfort.
The DR is a blast on gravel and forest service roads but a pig on single track and not something I'd ride to Alaska. Wolfman luggage is OK but fiddley.
I intend to explore more of the gravel roads / FSR's here in BC. I've ridden the 1200GS but I'm leery of the spoked rims guys have bent on stuff my DR bashed over. They sit on the Cylinder head when down so are pretty easy to pick up.
There is no AT to test ride and dealers keep saying most of their 2017's are pre-sold. Hard to commit to something I can't test ride. And I can't lay one down on the Dealer's floor to try and pick it up.

Can one really travel long distance comfort on the AT and next weekend head to Squamish and keep up with guys riding KTM 990's on rough gravel through river beds?

I previously owned a KTM 950 Adventure. One thing is sure. It was a far better bike than a GS offroad, and on a good day I could ride over and through stuff that my mates on GS's struggled with.

The AT is a better bike than the KTM 990, not by a huge amount, but still better. It has a more refined and more user friendly motor. It carries its weight a little better and requires less rider input to go quick.

A midrange single is easier to ride offroad however and that will always be the case vis a vis large offroaders.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Somewhere, in a previous post I listed all my reasons for changing from BM Adventures to the AT. I can find it right now!

Now, after a few thousand kilometers, I am sure I made the right choice. The AT is a proper 'Dual Purpose' bike that does both sides on the spectrum very well. It is comfortable on long sections of tarmac, great on dirt roads, if set up properly, and a LOT easier on more technical sections. This is primarily due to the 21" front and 18" rear.

I ride solo and I think the only time I would miss my adventure is if I was on a long trip with a passenger. I have no experience on riding the AT with a passenger.

Don't be put off by the fact that it is down on HP when compared to the new big 'adventure' bikes, just choose your battleground carefully!

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:12 AM
rbw

"14. the bike is very hot to ride - we were at mainly 36degrees and my knees / thighs were toast after ten mins every day, no matter the speed or on road/off road"

I currently own a Triumph Tiger 800 and am on the verge of ordering a '17 AT because it has quite a bit more torque. When I bought the Tiger, I also considered a KTM 1190 Adv, but went for the Tiger because the KTMs are known to cook the rider. After reading item 14 on this ride report, I'm now wondering if the AT suffers the same problem with excessive heat transferring to the rider. Is this a significant problem with these bikes?
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw View Post
I'm now wondering if the AT suffers the same problem with excessive heat transferring to the rider. Is this a significant problem with these bikes?
No worse than any other IMO, and better than many I've had. My Street Triple, for example, runs way hotter. I'd guess that the heat issue might be a problem for the taller rider due to the fact that their legs would be closer to the fan exit, but you can buy Honda "Exit Duct Deflectors" for that. I ride in the Australian bush btw where summer temperatures are regularly above 35 deg C, and often reach the 40s.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:59 PM

Mr Muscles window cleaner best bike cleaning agent I have found in 50 years of getting dirty.
Try it and see. Its also very inexpensive and easy to get.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:32 AM

Thank God for good reports, I just paid for a 2017 model, can't f^#$@Ken wait, love the feed back thanks.

Snowy River Rider, Victoria, Australia.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 AM

Hi Cappy,

Where did you purchase the Batzen screen adjuster ? I've been trawling online and cannot seem to find a link to buy one. Could be the answer to my screen issues ?

Many thanks
Smartr
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:43 PM

Here are the details from another post. Just email Batzen and he will promptly arrange the order. I can't rave enough about his efficient service and his product is top quality and "really" works!! No more vibrating peak on my Arai XD4 helmet. Use the blue link to email.

Price calculated now:
standard version 79 Euro inkl. VAT and all mounting parts,
with included GPS bracket 129 Euro inkl. VAT.

insured shipping with DHL:

5 Euro inside Germany
11 Euro inside EU
19 Euro to the rest of the world,

For payment IŽll offer PayPal or bank transfer.

As the part is not available yet, for non-binding pre-orders send a mail to " gsadventure@gmx.net " and I keep everybody informed as soon as parts are available. Please let me know which version youŽd like to order.
As the parts go to powder coater next Tuesday, it will take about 2-3 weeks to receive them back for sale, out of my influence.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:31 PM

yep. agree with all of that
in fact I get a big knot in my shoulders so I might try higher bar posn. and taller screen
good post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page