Just back from 3500mile trip -problems - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 22Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Just back from 3500mile trip -problems

Just been to Romania from the Uk over two weeks, putting in big days fully loaded and unloaded trail riding over a few days and the following things have broken or been noticed...

1. The SET button on the computer got stuck and wouldn't come back out -warranty
2. Rear spokes are screwed with corrosion
3. The GIVI panniers are shite ( I use TT Vega on the GS for everything they are 9 years old and have only been scratched despite heavy duty off roading for years). I rolled the bike over in a petrol station in Hungary and the offside pannier is Buggered, the corner has totally collapsed and the riveted leading edge has folded in on itself and the pannier wouldn't go back on. ****.
4. Puncture to rear tyre (just an ally rivet) tube out and fixed in 30 mins, nice rear wheel removal without any need to loosen the adjusters (sweet)
5. 52 mpg over 2 weeks and 3500 miles
6. Bike hates headwinds at 80 mph plus - the fuel consumption drops to 40mpg.
7. Bike stable up to 100mph (not gone over)
8. Front suspension **** - cant stiffen it up enough (oil change and air increase ahoy)
9. love the DCT box on the motorway and even more off road (and I race enduro!)
10. the bars are 15mm too low for me.
11. the crash guards on the bars are ok, they work
12. Not enough tie down flexibility on the back
13. the standard screen is bloody good
14. the bike is very hot to ride - we were at mainly 36degrees and my knees / thighs were toast after ten mins avery day, no matter the speed or on road/off road
15. it back fired once (loud)
16. **** display brightness in bright light conditions
17. **** indicator controls
18. brilliant seat as standard
19. Karoo 3 tyres let me touch my feet down on tarmac bends on the transfagarasan highway.
20. KAroo 3 tyres have **** side traction to the rear off road
21. The Traction control is brutal and forces too much weight movement when it comes in - subtle it is not
22. the bike is a bitch to clean properly
23. brake power is perfect
24. Its 3rd acc connection point is very handy ( the one beside the fog plug)

Lovely bike, pleased I got one - it eats up off road and is easy to get the pegs down on tarmac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:41 AM

Jeez you're going to be busy answering questions soon, hopefully without people trying to be awkward this time.

Last edited by doug; 07-26-2016 at 11:44 AM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

yeah expect I will be Doug
good to get info out there - see what people say eh?

I'll try to get a vid out of that bloody plug location now I'm back.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:09 PM

I shall watch with interest.

I swapped 2014 GS 1200LC for AT and after 3000 miles I'm very happy.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 02:20 AM

Garage
@Hub Architecture

Great trip report in the bike. Cheers for taking the time for adding your experiences!

regards
James Mc

Next: Honda Africa Twin (ASAP!)
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 (Bought 2014 - Stop gap set of wheels)
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 07:38 PM

Awesome, sounds like a really good time. I'm doing a SS 1000 tomorrow just cuz.
Playhard714 likes this.

'00 KLR, '08 GSF 1250FA, '16 CRF1000L
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 08:41 PM

Great real world assessment Hub Architecture, much better than a moto journalist spitting back five pages of Honda talking points after a 50 mile ride.

I'm assuming **** is a representation for a crude or banned word (or words) on the forum, but mostly I can't tell if it's a positive or negative word. Could you give us a clue... say first letter/last letter (eg P**S, F**K) so your intention is clear? Or pick a boring but not banned word.

Second, for readers not using Imperial gallons: 52 mpg Imperial equals 43 mpg with US gallons and 5.4 liters/100 km. D**m good fuel economy over that distance and riding environments.
Steve and DreamRider like this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 06:06 PM

I have just done an 1,800 mile trip on my DCT around France from Calais to Colmar and back via Vurdun.

We did everything from motorway and blasting around some great mountain roads, the DCT is awesome especially in the mountains where it just works.

I was with 2 friends on a R1200GS and a ZX12R and whilst they are both faster accelerating and have a faster top speed, neither could keep up with the AT in the mountains.

I agree with most of the comments from the OP,
the screen & seat are great,
the bike is stable to 120mph but scary over this with luggage
My spokes & set button are ok.
Fuel consumption was better than both when comparing fill volumes.
I couldn't get it to break traction on the rear when cornering hard - no matter how hard I tried
The Conti trail attacks suit this bike perfectly (the OE Dunlops were awful)
I didn't get my pegs down but I did get to the edges of the tyres (yes the front also)
My heated grips didn't work (flashing E2 as an error))

I wasn't sure if this bike would work on this type of trip but it does, could it be better, yes I think it could - although not much.

What about 17'' rims with sticky rubber, an arrow titanium exhaust and a remap at Hilltop would turn this into the perfect bike for the mountains. Maybe next year?
DreamRider likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 03:53 AM

Great write up Hub, Thanks

I clean mine with S Doc 100, comes up like new, what do you use ?

Daffy, I'm having the same tyres fitted tomorrow, what tyre pressures are you using please, thanks, Graham

Adventure before Dementia,
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainBill0 View Post
Great real world assessment Hub Architecture, much better than a moto journalist spitting back five pages of Honda talking points after a 50 mile ride.

I'm assuming **** is a representation for a crude or banned word (or words) on the forum, but mostly I can't tell if it's a positive or negative word. Could you give us a clue... say first letter/last letter (eg P**S, F**K) so your intention is clear? Or pick a boring but not banned word.

Second, for readers not using Imperial gallons: 52 mpg Imperial equals 43 mpg with US gallons and 5.4 liters/100 km. D**m good fuel economy over that distance and riding environments.
The stars are blocked out for being a baad word yes. Lets just use the words excrement and terrible

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page