Africa Twin Transmission Options: DCT or Manual? - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: Africa Twin Transmission Options: DCT or Manual?
6-speed DCT 76 64.96%
6-speed manual 41 35.04%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

11Likes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:44 AM

I had no choice to go with a manual due to short supply issues, I would have to ride both back to back to make a fair choice. DCT does have some appeal for my commute to work, however hooning around the lanes I want total control of how my engine/gears are behaving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 11:44 AM

DCT for me. Test rode the mt around town and motorway and was very nice but i wanted to try the dct so ordered that.
Commuting 100 miles each was is a pleasure especially with heavy traffic.
However its off road (muddy lanes and byways in wiltshire) the dct is the biz. Never have to worry about gears or stalling up hills. You can just get in with the job. Slow speed turning off road requires relearning to use the back brake technique but gives good confidence. And this on trail max tyres .... cant wait to get the tkc80s early next week.
Cleaning the thing is a ******* though :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_163048_1463326995552.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	4946   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_163028_1463327016933.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	4954  
james.mc likes this.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 03:33 PM

Well let's see.....First of all you shouldn't be out in the middle of nowhere with a manual or a DCT without a buddy. Forget breaking the transmission, what if you break your leg....hmmm. Total control....hmmm....The DCT gives you a manual mode so you can choose whatever gear you want, whenever you want. The benefits of the DCT far out weight
any possible negatives. Much easier to ride off road, todays DCT are faster than manual
transmission bike, you just can't shift as quickly and the DCT won't miss a shift. Off road it's always in gear and it won't stall on a hill. It gives you more the ability to concentrate more on steering and navigating the course off road. On the road put it in sport mode and have some fun pretending you're in Moto GP. I read something once that if you were racing Valentino Rossi and he was riding a manual and you had a quick shifter, you would gain 10 feet on him with every shift. Imagine how much easier it is to shift the DCT when you're standing on the pegs.....I also have a CBR1000RR and I wish it had a DCT like the
Moto GP bikes have. Mainly because the acceleration is scary and I'd much rather be able
to concentrate on riding the rocket without using that brain power to clutchless shift.
Food for thought......my AT's on order and it's definitely a DCT

EZ

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZStreet View Post
Well let's see.....First of all you shouldn't be out in the middle of nowhere with a manual or a DCT without a buddy.

EZ
Try telling Nick Sanders or Ted Simon!!

I just like having the option to push start the thing, though I'm going to try and get one of those Li-Po tiny jumper battery things for my TAT. I have major 'will it start' anxiety; probably from growing up in Africa with shitty vehicles. My default parking preference has always been on a hill!

I am doing the harder part of the TAT with a friend on his DRZ though!

JasonWD.com Complete Trans America Trail '16. Check the blog.
Please add your rough location to your stats! We are an international forum.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 06:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWD View Post
Try telling Nick Sanders or Ted Simon!!

I just like having the option to push start the thing, though I'm going to try and get one of those Li-Po tiny jumper battery things for my TAT. I have major 'will it start' anxiety; probably from growing up in Africa with shitty vehicles. My default parking preference has always been on a hill!

I am doing the harder part of the TAT with a friend on his DRZ though!
I've been told it may not be possible to push start the AT, anyone tried?
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

You can push the manual but the DCT is impossible because the computer puts the transmission in Neutral when you turn the bike on. Anyway, even if there was power to do that there is no way to bump the clutch that I can think of

JasonWD.com Complete Trans America Trail '16. Check the blog.
Please add your rough location to your stats! We are an international forum.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
You can push the manual but the DCT is impossible because the computer puts the transmission in Neutral when you turn the bike on. Anyway, even if there was power to do that there is no way to bump the clutch that I can think of
I was more wondering if anyone has tried on the manual or if the slipper clutch would prevent it?

Live to ride
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
I agree. With the DCT I'm reasonably sure the DCT clutches need pressure to engage, possible spring disengage although I don't know enough about the box to validate that. Impossible to get pressure without spinning the engine, but you can't spin the engine with no clutch engaged. Catch 22 situation it seems. I'm going to look into this further to see if there is a possible work around, although I do like the option of a 'get out of jail' second battery as first port of call.

regards
James Mc

Almost: 2017 CRF1000L DCT at the dealer with my name on it!
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:00 PM

Hmmm, it seems like those who have the Manual love it, and those that have the DCT also love theirs. Anyone get the DCT and NOT like it?
I'm thinking about moving from a Vstrom 1k to the AT, but can't decide which version. Like most, I've ridden bikes with a clutch all my life and wonder if i'd regret the auto.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrag View Post
Hmmm, it seems like those who have the Manual love it, and those that have the DCT also love theirs. Anyone get the DCT and NOT like it?
I'm thinking about moving from a Vstrom 1k to the AT, but can't decide which version. Like most, I've ridden bikes with a clutch all my life and wonder if i'd regret the auto.
I had to consider a similar scenario. Honda Varadero XL1000V for years followed by a Triumph Tiger 1050.
In the end I decided whats to regret? I'm aware that on the DCT, when letting the DCT brain do all the thinking and gear changing, there are various drive modes to select, ranging from it languishing in D (should have called it P for passive mode) up to the most aggressive S (Fun) mode.
Or, if you wish, select manual mode and use your own brain to choose whatever gear you want via the gear selector switches on the left side of the handle bars. The only traditional things missing, with the latter option, is no clutch lever and no gear change lever to operate with your foot. Honda even thought of that to a degree by offering an optional(=more $cash$ to fork out) foot operated gear selector (it's electronically wired though and not mechanically connected to the gear box). That just leaves the clutch lever missing.

So the most you, or I, might regret is not having a clutch lever to play with. I'm sure that I'll forget all about it after a few months of fun with the DCT

Oh yeah, and to state the obvious! If you own a DCT and fancy manual mode, where you select the gear of choice, its just a switch away.
If you are on a Manual AT and fancy DCT mode you need to sell your bike and buy a DCT! There is a slight difference in options there

So, I ordered the DCT a couple of weeks back.
JasonWD likes this.

regards
James Mc

Almost: 2017 CRF1000L DCT at the dealer with my name on it!
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page