Africa Twin Transmission Options: DCT or Manual? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: Africa Twin Transmission Options: DCT or Manual?
6-speed DCT 76 64.96%
6-speed manual 41 35.04%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

11Likes

post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Africa Twin Transmission Options: DCT or Manual?

On the leaked spec sheet, transmission options for the africa twin were confirmed, being a 6-speed manual or 6-speed DCT with driving modes for on-road and off-road.

Which transmission are you planning to get? (vote on the above poll)

If you haven't already, take a moment to hear what the development team had to say about the optional 6-speed DCT:

Last edited by Adventurer; 07-23-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:27 PM

Garage
I voted manual, but I'd like to test ride both and then decide....I just can't imagine not feeling in control of shifting, and maybe that's the magic? Maybe the DCT still makes you feel in control when necessary?

Bones Heal, Chicks Dig Scars, Pain is Temporary, Glory is Forever - Evel Knievel
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:03 PM

I voted for DCT. Manual would grant me more control but manual gear shifting while standing on the pegs is not my strong point. Manual would be good for on road riding but when you'r standing most of the time off road with bumps it's not as efficient.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 07:05 PM

Because my left wrist suffers less in traffic jams and mountain roads!
Adventurer likes this.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Zecca View Post
Because my left wrist suffers less in traffic jams and mountain roads!
x2, as mentioned before in another thread i want something a bit more easy going for when I need it to be and the DCT helps to contribute to that, although manual is tempting!
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 07:57 PM

I have a busted up left leg and it is very difficult for me to shift so it is DCT for me. I bought a CTX700 with it last year and was very happy with the transmission, just not the bike (not a cruiser guy). One cool feature is a parking brake. When you are stopped on a hill with both feet on the ground you can engage it and it frees up your hands.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 10:41 PM

My story is a unique one. I originally ordered the DCT as I read heaps on the forums and reviews and thought this would be the way to go. As soon as I left the shop I regretted the decision and thankfully the dealer was happy to change my order back to a manual the next day. Why the sudden change?

1. Reliability - in the middle of nowhere I didn't like the thought of a computer operating the clutches so my bike can change gears. If this failed, could you imagine someone being able to help you.
Buttons to engage the DCT? Buttons on my remote and other technology fail all the time. Does this mean a simple thing as a bad connection from dust moisture etc is going to bring me to a halt? I intend to ride this bike through deserts in Australia, and it is a little unnerving to take this technology into such a remote area where mechanical assistance is nonexistent. At least if you snap a clutch cable or lever the bike can still operate. The additional buttons and triggers on the handle bars to operate this system was becoming unnerving.

2. There is almost something hypnotic that occurs between a rider and a machine as you blip the throttle and use the clutch and gears to negotiate the tight and twisty trails. DCT loyalist will argue that you can use the paddles, however it just isn't quite the same and I base this on owning a VW with a DSG box. Yes they operate well, but it isn't a stick shift and some of the joy of driving is lost.

I appreciate there is a market for this style of transmission, and many AT owners are opting for this. For me however, I still enjoy the raw connection between rider and machine which I believe is lost once all the computer gadgets take over.

Keep the shiny side up!

Wadeo
marsbeetle, erey and cehanska like this.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:06 PM

Ha... that's funny Wadeo, because I have the exact same concerns about the DCT, but I went the other way and ordered one anyway! I suppose the reason is that I'm giving Honda the benefit of the doubt on both those issues for now, and just keeping my fingers crossed that I made the right decision.

On the whole being stuck in the middle of nowhere thing, first quick thing to say is that there are advantages to the DCT too. No clutch lever and gear shift to brake in a drop. Yes, I know you can carry spares, but it's still nice to not have to. As for the rest, I guess time will tell whether a) Honda DCTs are reliable enough for this sort of thing, and b) if they do fail how catastrophically they tend to fail. Do they just stay stuck in gear for example? That might still let you get to the next town depending on which gear it sticks in.

On the magic of changing gears manually thing - yep. I've posted about this myself. Time will tell on this one whether I miss it or not. I'm hoping that the aggregate of benefits will outweigh some of the intangible pleasure of changing gears manually and I'll be happy with my choice.

If not, hey, I might be willing to exchange my DCT for someone's manual version a little while down the road!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:18 PM

Smile

Manual and EFM Auto Clutch.

Last edited by paul13131313; 01-30-2016 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Add text.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:35 PM

I hope at the end of the day we're both happy with the the choice we've made!

Keep the shiny side up!

Wadeo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page