Transmission binding up - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By james.mc

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Transmission binding up

Firstly transmission binding or locking up can happen to any bike fitted with DCT or Manual transmissions, so this isn't a DCT only issue. I thought I'd get that in before people start spouting off about DCT problems.

On FB, in the CRF1000 Africa Twin Group, a guy called Manuel Costa Duarte was riding in sand and somehow dropped his bike/bogged it in, whilst negotiating a sand dune. When he got himself sorted he found that the AT DCT would not start. When he went to start it, the DCT box made some sort of clicking /clacking sound, the dash indicated that the bike was stuck in 2nd gear, but that was it, no go! He used the kill switch and then went to restart again with the same result. Click Click Click a few times out of the DCT box, 2nd still indicated on the dash and then nada! He phoned a mate of his at a Honda shop and he had the solution.

His mate advised it was likely the the transmission was wound up and the torque needed freeing off first. He suggested Manuel find a way to rotate the back wheel a bit and try again. As soon as the back wheel had been rotated the gearbox could do its thing and the bike started normally.

A similar thing can happen to manual gearboxes also, so like I said, it isn't a DCT fault as such, its just part and parcel of riding off road is soft terrain.
TMac99 and pvanryn like this.

regards
James Mc

Almost: 2017 CRF1000L DCT at the dealer with my name on it!
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Last edited by james.mc; 06-12-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Another person in the group offered the following advice:

Quote:
Remove the traction control when on sand or dirt

regards
James Mc

Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:17 PM

Garage
How would this happen with a manual if one always starts the engine in N?
Takeaway, if engine quits while hard riding, allow wheel to rotate freely to get neutral?

Live to ride

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niterunnr View Post
How would this happen with a manual if one always starts the engine in N?
Takeaway, if engine quits while hard riding, allow wheel to rotate freely to get neutral?
If you are already in Neutral then there would be no problem. The issue comes about when you have been riding in soft terrain and the rear wheel become bogged in and the engine stalls before you can clutch in. The transmission might retain torque within it, pretty much locking up the gearbox, preventing you from selecting any gear or Neutral, until the rear wheel is rotated. So yes, you are correct, in that situation dig out and rotate the rear wheel a bit either way whilst in gear, a bit like rocking the bike on level ground in gear, to put some free-play back in the transmission train. You should then be able to select Neutral on a manual or allow the DCT to do its thing prior to starting.

Both the Manual and DCT would could encounter the same problem and the solution is the same on both counts. Dig out, or tip bike on its side, rotate rear wheel a bit.

regards
James Mc

Last edited by james.mc; 06-16-2017 at 03:58 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb

I've been reading up on 'DCT transmissions locking up in gear and preventing the bike from starting'.

Just read a post over on the NC700 forum where they are discussing a DCT stuck in 2nd gear with the engine switched off.
After turning the ignition on to start.... click, click, click, click, click. Gear indicator showing 2nd.

Short version. The NC700 (DCT) rider parked his bike with his rear tyre against a kerb and hit the kill switch. Then turned the ignition off. Got some cash from the ATM, went to start the bike and .... click, click, click, click, click. Gear indicator showing 2nd. Wouldn't start
This was the first time he'd experienced anything like this. He tried to start the bike a couple of times with the same result. .... click, click, click, click, click. Gear indicator showing 2nd.
Eventually he rolled the bike forward. Tried again and it started instantly.

The general opinion in that thread was; using the kill switch is not a wise option when normally turning the engine off, as it seems to leave the DCT in whatever gear was last selected. Normally, on flat level ground that probably would be not issue as, when you turn the ignition on, the DCT will select Neutral and the engine will start as expected.
It was suggested that always using the ignition switch to turn off the DCT will select neutral before the engine stops, using the kill switch will not.

However, it seems, in line with the 'bogged in back wheel' engine won't start posts above, if the transmission has any torque remaining in it, eg. rear wheel pressed up against a kerb, and the engine simply died or kill switch was used, it will be 'locked' in the last selected gear until the bike is wheeled a little relieving the torque.

To me not of these are DCT faults. Just things I need to now about DCT and hows to avoid thinking there is a fault when at the end of the day there is a logical explanation and simple solution.

So I am now aware of.......
  • Normal engine stop - DON'T use the kill switch, use the ignition switch instead. I never use the kill switch to turn off the engine in normal use, so I'll have no issue with that.
  • If the bike was parked with the rear wheel against something plus you used the kill switch but the engine won't start because it's stuck in gear, roll the bike and try again as that will free up the transmission and allow DCT to select Neutral.
  • If the rear wheel is bogged in and the engine died (for some reason) or you used the kill switch and the bike won't start because it is stuck in gear - dig the wheel out and rotate it. That will free up the transmission and allow DCT to select Neutral.

regards
James Mc

Last edited by james.mc; 06-17-2017 at 02:52 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page