HSTC and ABS (on/off) - 6 speed (standard) model - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
HSTC and ABS (on/off) - 6 speed (standard) model

I am seeing different opinions about wether ABS (on/off) and HSTC will be part of the standard (6 speed) model. The wording on the Honda web site is a bit vague. Anyone know for sure?

Also, does anyone know how HSTC works? My understanding is that it somehow regulates torque going to the rear wheel - thus controlling wheel spin. Does it work through a slipper clutch or/ fuel injector mapping or/ variable valve timing?

Just killing time watching the parade and waiting for Thanksgiving dinner - Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 11:53 AM

it is my understanding that ABS is standard everywhere.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 01:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessuno View Post
it is my understanding that ABS is standard everywhere.
Not exactly, some places will get an option to choose non-abs version.
Adventurer likes this.

CRF1000L, wow

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSlanderYT View Post
Not exactly, some places will get an option to choose non-abs version.
Which markets do you think will get it as an option and which as standard?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 04:01 AM

Garage
I'm not sure if it was in this forum or another but NZ and ZA were in the list. Also Portugal, even though Portugal is EU and ABS is mandatory
Adventurer likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 AM

For the pre-orders Honda Portugal is accepting pre-ordering of the non ABS model, and I think the same happen in Spain too.

BTW, half an hour ago ordered mine, Tri-color w/ABS (non DCT) - I'm happy :-)
iSlanderYT likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 11:28 AM

Garage
ABS will be mandatory in 2016, so its possible that Spain and Portugal get to choose non-ABS before that. Also this means that bikes will be delivered before 2016

Edit: and congrats! I ordered mine in August

CRF1000L, wow
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSlanderYT View Post
I'm not sure if it was in this forum or another but NZ and ZA were in the list. Also Portugal, even though Portugal is EU and ABS is mandatory
That's just about in line with what I was thinking.

North America seems to fall last when it comes to ABS from the trend I have seen.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 01:56 PM

I have been unsuccessful in finding the details of the HSTC as it applies to the AT. I think it will be a full function traction control that is rider programmable. In the Dec/Jan issue of Motorcyclist magazine they rode the new Honda 213xxx super bike that has HSTC. The article went into some detail explaining that it was the Bosch IMU- inertial measurement unit that measures acceleration in all axis's. It feeds this data to the ECU which is also sampling wheel speeds and engine parameters to only allow enough torque to the rear wheel so that rear wheel spin up/drift will be limited or controlled to some defined limit. I am waiting and searching for confirmation or better info.

Build it if you can.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc198 View Post
I am seeing different opinions about wether ABS (on/off) and HSTC will be part of the standard (6 speed) model. The wording on the Honda web site is a bit vague. Anyone know for sure?

Also, does anyone know how HSTC works? My understanding is that it somehow regulates torque going to the rear wheel - thus controlling wheel spin. Does it work through a slipper clutch or/ fuel injector mapping or/ variable valve timing?
Thanks for the reply.

It's pretty clear on Honda Powersports (USA) https://powersports.honda.com/africatwin.aspx that the AT will be: "Offered with either a six-speed manual gearbox or a new DCT transmission with selectable on- and off-road modes, both versions have ABS standard with rear ABS on/off and Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC). "

"Torque control" is a curious choice of names since TC systems modulate power to the rear wheel to control slippage, or traction. Anyway, traction control on motorcycles uses the ECU (through ignition timing, fuel delivery or throttle position) to adjust the engine speed so the rear wheel is turning at the same or pre-set (per rider choice of level) amount faster, than the front wheel. The AT will probably get a three level TC (as the Crosstourer) plus OFF.

For an excellent discussion of motorcycle TC: https://rideapart.com/articles/motor...n-control-work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page