Starting problems - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

I'm having the same issue. It happened after I came back from a 2 week trip and started up. If I ride it every day it doesn't have as hard of a start...but it's not like it was when I first got it. The start sound sequence is different. Before it was starter noise, bike kicks-over, exhaust noise. Now the starter noise and kick-over noise sometimes seem to stumble before a start, or I need to have 2 attempts.

I've only got about 2 months left of riding in WI so I'm debating just waiting until late OCT to visit the dealer.

When I'm in a car I can't wait to get there. When I'm on a bike I can't wait to not get there. -RR

My DCT AT blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 08:38 PM

Hi there.
I am having the very same issues.
Bike from cold won't idle.
Starts and dies out bout 20 times then will finally idle.
Only does it from cold.

Any help be appreciated ???
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 05:09 PM

cod start failures and engine coughing / loosing strokes when cloying throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy Boy View Post
IVE Put in here and the general discussion bit as well

they have replaced the Air temp sensor and the tilt angle sensor

the first sign of things happening now I think about it was increased fuel consumption and the odd cut out on closing the throttle then cutting out on cold start up

finished on this subject I hope after tue/wed
Hallo Folk,
I experienced both of these nuisances. The dealer said the fault was in the start switch, which has been changed. I will collect the bike tomorrow and see wether these troubles appear again...

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 06:00 AM

Mine didn't want to start again today, been 6 months since i had an issue with it after resetting the ecu.
Cleaned the switch assy out, re-lubed and no problem.

Will update this thread if it comes back.
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:05 PM

Both left and right switches are new parts with different part numbers that supersede the originals.

The left to correct the 'SET' button problem and the right to correct the starting issue mentioned here.

CZ 360, DT175, xt600, fzr600, r1100gs, r1150r, drz400, f800gs, r1200gs, r1200gsLC, CRF1000L
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:32 PM

I've had the cold starting issue every time for the last few months. Today I disconnected the battery, left for an hour or so, reconnected then started no problem!
Hopefully it will be ok. On the downside my 'set' button is not working!......Call my dealer tomorrow.
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:39 PM

starting problems-newbie

Hi All, complete newbie here, I took delivery of my brand new 2017 AT day before yesterday, just three miles on the clock,- that`s right three miles.

Hard to start? I`ll say.

I have not rode the bike yet, it was delivered to my house by the dealer.The delivery guy rolled it out of the van and started it up-it stopped immediately as it fired up, he started it again and it stopped immediately as it fired up.He tried again, started, and stopped immediately, on about fifth time or so (getting embarrassing) it fired and ran......Thank God. He drove it onto my drive and parked it up. I thought about the film posted on You Tube where a guy is having the EXACT same problem, but thought,"Nah, can`t be,-problem must have been sorted for 2017....surely?"

Well, it would seem not,every attempt to start the bike so far has been the same,repeated starts followed by immediate engine stop,usually 5-7 attempts, then it will run.Trying today, i noticed that the engine stops simultaneously with the starter button being released ,and if you delay letting go of the start button, the engine continues to run (i know-not good) until you release the button and immediately the engine cuts as you do so.Thus, I suspect that the starter button may be the issue? It seems as if releasing it somehow operates the engine kill side of the switch...... Puzzling thing is that after 5-7 attempts, it starts....HMMM
I have informed the dealer, lets see how it goes, but no rides for now(too icy anyway Brrrrrr!)
Bob. C.
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:37 PM

Garage
Hi 1660bob!

Have had exactly the same problem when getting mine some 4 weeks ago.

The battery was broken down (empty).

If you could handle it load the battery (disconnected from the AT) and try again!

Cheers, gerhard
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Both left and right switches are new parts with different part numbers that supersede the originals.

The left to correct the 'SET' button problem and the right to correct the starting issue mentioned here.

Hi doug, I'm taking the bike in on Wednesday to get the RH switch block removed, pulled apart and photos taken off the internals. Honda Australia don't currently recognise the problem to be a warranty item..
I have told them there are superseded P/N's for both RH and LH switchblocks, they say that's not right.
Would you know what both the new and old P/N's are for the switchblocks?
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Had New start stop switch gear new plugs and plug caps and leads , so far starts and runs better than it ever has

had grip control box fitted , grips are warmer but absolutely rubbish for the price paid come on Honda sort it

set button has jammed in now so will have to get that replaced

great bike to ride but all these issues are starting to try my patience

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page