Starting problems - Page 7 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 12Likes

post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:15 AM

Update to my starting problem issue......I put a new battery in it months ago, leave it on a charger when its home otherwise its had ZERO issues while away two weeks at a time or longer. I don't understand all this battery drama and diagnosis......put a new battery in it and go ride!

Don't threaten me with a good time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy Boy View Post
My Afi seems to have lost the cold start set up ?

it wont start without opening the throttle and some times wont start for ages from cold

my dealer has scanned the sensors and cant find anything wrong but acknowledges there is a problem with my bike as he has had issues starting the bike and has asked me to book it in for a through check and he will try to find the problem. it pops and hisses when it does start but runs okay when warm

has anyone else had a problem and what was the cure

I know how to start a modern bike up so it is not me

ECU has been re set and a sweep of all sensors has been done with no issues
Same issue during past 2 weeks. Getting worst with days.
When I pickup the motorcycle new at the dealer, the salesman who is also very experienced rider, told me that sometimes if don't want to start, just move from side stand to ride position and back. He has been riding for months his own AT, he said that for experience with his own. That sounds weird to me at that time, but somebody else here talked about tilt sensor, then could be related.
Last Friday was very bad, it's doesn't want to start at all, but I hear the battery almost dead, I had an injury in my arm, I couldn't ride for this 2 weeks, just starting to get it warm the engine.
When I get it to start (after many tries), I decide to take a little ride nearby, just to warn up not only the oil, also brakes and shake the motorcycle as well.
After driving for half an hour or so, I decide to stop it and try to start again, it works like a charm! I start suspecting from battery and tilt sensor little bit more.
Now it's OK after start riding everyday since there. Looks like charging battery and shake the motorcycle, maybe could "fix" the issue in my case. 3 days and no issues at all.
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by African Twin Mofo View Post
Anyone have any leak issues? Someone on ADrider in the owners section just posted pics of a leak he has on a standard bike where coolant looks to be seeping out of a press fitting on the right side of the engine.
Doesn't sound like a starting problem which this topic is about.

regards
James Mc

Almost: 2017 CRF1000L DCT at the dealer with my name on it!
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 07:19 PM

I really believe one of the core problems is the poor idle mixture when the bike is cold. I am at sea level so I am extra lean. Like others, when its warm or slightly warm I have 0 problems. I will be installing a Rapid Bike Easy on my bike within the next week in order to richen the idle. I will reports back to see if it has made a difference.

I have also changed the battery and cleaned the switch mechanism extensively.
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 01:55 AM

That's why BMW is short for Bring More Wallet.
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 11:42 AM

I've noticed that my AT has been getting harder to start lately. It's not that it doesn't start, for instance, this very day it took until the 6th attempt for it to catch properly and fire up. That's been the worst so far with other times taking 3 or 4 goes. Then on a few odd occasions, it'd start and the revs would race up the tacho to about 4K before settling down to idle.

So, I popped into my dealer to book it in for its 8k mile service and mentioned the problem. Turns out I'm now getting a new right switch cluster as it's a known fault with the starter button.
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 03:25 PM

Garage
The four bikes I've owned ,(2 Honda, 2 Suzuki), for a combined total of thirty six years never had one single repair issue, only routine maintenance.

Hope I can continue the streak with my AT.

Live to ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page