Motor Hiccup - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 08:47 AM

Garage
Mine too was doing the same thing. I disconnected my battery to wire up my GPS, I've ridden about 300 miles since then and no more backfires. As a matter a fact, the bike has been running perfect. I'm running Kwik Fill 91 octane ethanol free gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 02:01 PM

I have had this also. 3 times in 800km (once this AM), usually at low speed, navigating in traffic, little throttle blip and a loud POP unlike the normal burbling I love so much. It has caused the bike to shut off once. There also seems to be some "ticking" valve train noise at idle. Performance when I'm on the throttle seems unaffected. I have my 1000km service coming up and will be asking about it then. I'll post up anything they tell me.
Cheers,
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 05:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAT View Post
I have had this also. 3 times in 800km (once this AM), usually at low speed, navigating in traffic, little throttle blip and a loud POP unlike the normal burbling I love so much. It has caused the bike to shut off once. There also seems to be some "ticking" valve train noise at idle. Performance when I'm on the throttle seems unaffected. I have my 1000km service coming up and will be asking about it then. I'll post up anything they tell me.
Cheers,

I still get the inlet backfire occasionally at random and am now at 9000kms. I will probably disconnect the battery, but I will be interested to hear what your dealer has to say on the matter.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAT View Post
Cheers,
I'm in the same page as you. Did not disconnected (yet) the battery, but I'll soon.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:19 AM

Mine has started doing it also. Bike now has 4000 miles on it, manual trans.. However mine only started doing it after I disconnected the battery for the first time when I was preparing to do a GPS install. Mine has only done it in the 1st-2nd gear change. Both time were after extended rides of 30+ miles, then shutting the bike off for 10-15 minutes. Then when taking off again it did it during the gear change.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:49 PM

Update post 1000km service:

I spoke to the tech about the problem and we agreed it sounded like a fuelling/ ECU issue. The bike showed no codes and they could not reproduce the issue during test ride or on the bench. They unhooked the battery and then re-initialized the bike- the thinking here was that it may allow the sensors to re-calibrate.

On the noisy valve train- again, they couldn't reproduce the issue though they did report hearing a "grinding" noise that was attributed to perhaps the starter not fully disengaging.

Honda Canada has not posted any bulletins about either issue and my dealer hadn't heard about them from other customers.

Both issues are being reported to Honda so hopefully if there are any future problems they can be traced back.

I am satisfied with this. I haven't had the cut off or the intake backfire since I got the bike back but its only been a couple days.

Cheers,
VicAT
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 06:49 PM

I have been riding daily since the re-initializing and haven't experienced the intake backfire or the sudden cut off since. I think it is sorted! Yay!
Now I can get back to looking at wider pegs and crash bars...😊
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:48 PM

Mine was definitely burbling today on deceleration. I hear no valve train noise at all from this bike compared to my R1200GSW. I may try alcohol free gas in it to see if it cleans up a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page