Manual gearbox problems - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 14Likes

post #21 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Bean View Post
I could be dangerous in traffic if it jumps out of gear and mine jumped out a long way after I engaged it.
Definitely not fun when it pops out of gear while overtaking

County Durham cowboy .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:46 AM

Garage
Im at like 350 and mine is shifting fine. I hope I don't start having problems with it like that. That is not good.

Thank you and have a blessed week
Dale
post #23 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Frosty View Post
That is strange , mine have jumped out of gear 3 times in 2500 miles , i initially thought that it was me not pushing the gear in fully but then it did it again , after roughly 1000 miles the problem dissapeared so i was thinking the gearbox is fully broken in , but then last saturday it did it again in 4 gear , it was pulling then it jumped out of gear so the revs vent right up and then it poped back in the gear on its own , never seen this on any of my previous bikes . Dealer does not believe me of course .
I also have had the exact same problem during the first 1000km I probably got a false neutral about 3 times in 4-5 gear, Mention it to the dealer and just got a blank look, Its had it first service fresh oil and see how it goes from now on shrug could just be tight gears not locating during break in.

post #24 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 12:40 AM

I had a few false neutrals too in the top couple of gears, mostly on the upshift. (only every now and again) Found I just had to be a little more positive with the left boot. Not a lot but I had to be sure of the click and not feather the lever as I had been doing on the previous V Strom. Not a problem IMO but I had to adjust my positivity. 2 1/2 K Km on her now.
post #25 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 09:54 AM

Just got a AT last week......and yes. It's very clunky between 5th and 6th! Calling the dealer today!
post #26 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 03:03 PM

The downshift its the best of any bike that i have ever ridden , the upshift can be tricky especially if you have big feet like I do , it has got much better after the break in period and also I have got used to the bike more , I have adjusted the height of the lever because it was way too low for me , no bad shifts since , so I think it must be the operators ( my ) fault , also I have my friend testride my bike and he thinks that there is nothing wrong with the gearbox , also he knows that I am paranoid when it comes to my toys

County Durham cowboy .
post #27 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:02 PM

I have 400 plus on mine and I'm used to the clunky 2008 1200GS gear boxes.......this Honda transmission is silky smooth in comparison. I don't know what you guys are used to but I don't have any issues.

Don't threaten me with a good time!
post #28 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 06:18 PM

G'day All from Sunny Australia
I have been complaining to my dealer about the the gearshift on my new 2016 Africa Twin ever since i got it new, it changes gear like a Harley!! especially between 1st and 2nd, plus it jumps out of 5th and 6th gear under hard acceleration. I was talking to another Honda mechanic and he said that the Gold Wing has similar issues and he advised that when changing gear don't tap off ALL the throttle, I gave this a try and yes, if coordinated properly results in a nice smooth gear change, however, this machine is supposed to be an Adventure Bike in the Spirit of the original Dakar Africa Twin, when you're getting down and dirty you don't have time for coordinated gearchanges!! The dealer has now had it for 3 weeks and has had authority from Honda to pull it to bits, when I called to find out what they found I got a bit of a vague answer along the lines of "On one of the selector forks, the machining is not what it should be"??? They tell me that they've ordered the spares from Honda but they're not due to ARRIVE in Australia until end of July! by the time they've put it back together it'll be August so nearly 2 months with no motorcycle. I have now lost complete confidence in the Machine, which is a shame as I have been waiting (patiently) for the release of the NEW Africa Twin. As soon as I get it back its going on the market, although I'm sure these issues will affect the selling price! and I'm currently investigating my KTM options. 1050/1190. (of course the Dealer didn't believe me
post #29 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 02:04 AM

Don't give up on it SG. It's a fairly long throw - the lever moves further than some other bikes, and if you only move it partway it seems to find false neutrals. I had a few in the first few hundred km, but once I changed my shifting haven't had any since. The gearbox is a large part of how civilised the bike is, once you change gear the way it needs.

Tricolour ABS
post #30 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:06 AM

Garage
Interesting that there is a poorly machined selector fork involved. Triumph's Explorer had a similar problem on first generation models in the bottom three gears, and again there was a selector fork involved. In that instance it was poor hardening but the same affect was experienced. The Triumph has a cassette gearbox and accordingly the fix was put in place in most instances while the owner waited for an hour or so. It took Triumph a while to get the fix going but once up and running it was freely available.

I think the issue might be avoided by not being too aggressive with the gearbox during break in. I have felt a notchiness in my AT occasionally in the top three gears. It is very random but does not occur most of the time. When I sense it I just don't lash on the power regardless, but pull the clutch and give it a second chance. So far so good.

One of my previous KTM's had a similar notchiness to the gearbox, much worse than my AT, but it never slipped out of gear. On some days it could be a proper pain. The proper function of a gearbox long term can depend somewhat imho, on how well it is treated in early mileage. I have seen some heavy booted individuals among my friends dishing out some cringe worthy treatment to gearboxes. For that reason they have never had a test ride on mine.

Last edited by 6986; 07-04-2016 at 04:08 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page