Manual gearbox problems - Page 7 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 14Likes

post #61 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:00 AM

Yup also had my first few false shifts all of a sudden at about 2000km on bike around 4th and 5th??! Watching it closely........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 02:18 AM

This clunky sound/feel are all common on new Honda bikes.

I don't know about you guys but all the Hondas I've owned they've always had this clunky sound/feel when new but disappears after break-in.

What I've found to help eliminate this from the start is switch to synthetic oil from the moment I bring the bike home. And what also helps is don't baby shift...make an effort to shift it into gear. It's all part of the break-in procedure. Over time it will be silky smooth.

Although, my last Honda (2009 CBR600RR) that thing was was silky smooth from the start. Partly because I switched to synthetic but man I would redline that baby just before going into a corner, dump two gears down and pop the clutch and boom...just pure smooth downshift. So silky smooth. I swear I thought it had a slipper clutch.
Wadeo likes this.

Last edited by Nemesis; 09-08-2016 at 02:50 AM.
post #63 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
This clunky sound/feel are all common on new Honda bikes.

I don't know about you guys but all the Hondas I've owned they've always had this clunky sound/feel when new but disappears after break-in.

What I've found to help eliminate this from the start is switch to synthetic oil from the moment I bring the bike home. And what also helps is don't baby shift...make an effort to shift it into gear. It's all part of the break-in procedure. Over time it will be silky smooth.

Although, my last Honda (2009 CBR600RR) that thing was was silky smooth from the start. Partly because I switched to synthetic but man I would redline just before going into a corner, dump two gears down and pop the clutch and boom...just pure smooth downshift. So silky smooth. I swear I thought it had a slipper clutch.
Hi Nemesis,

Have you changed your Africa over to synthetic oil yet? If so, what breed did you go with and viscosity? Any changes noticed?

Cheers

Wadeo

post #64 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:56 PM

Mofo I'm not sure if all the bikes have this issue. Its also mainly 4-5-6 changes under hard acceleration, is there a lot of that on the TAT? All 1600 miles I put on mine in the first week were canyon riding on our twisty canyon roads here in SoCal, lots of up and down all the way through the gear box at or near full acceleration (after "break in").

I actually hit my first false neutral the very first time i went up through the gears leaving the dealership, caused me to stop and make sure they actually filled the thing up with oil etc. I ride around 1000 miles a week spread across 6 different bikes in the disciplines of trials, enduro, supermoto, and super sport. I also coach enduro riding. When you jump across so many styles and so many bikes and immediately find fault with ONE bike...something is up. Being firm and precise with a gear shift is one thing, having to "muscle" it in is another, and thats where the problem is.
post #65 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 04:13 PM

It is interesting that all the problems raised by North American owners haven't been mentioned by Europeans. Could the US bikes have been built to a different standard?

False neutral? Clunky gearbox? Really? Imet with several dozen of CRF owners while I was in Europe back in the Spring / early summer. None mentioned any problem with their gearbox.

1988 RD03 Africa twin
1996 RD07a Africa Twin

https://www.facebook.com/Massive-Ride-1153740581384956/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1153795721379442
post #66 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 05:14 PM

I doubt you're having to "muscle" it into gear because if that was the case you'd have contacted Honda and sought buy back as this is a safety issue.

It's probably an exaggeration but I totally understand what you're trying to point out.

If I recall Kawasaki had a similar issue with one of their models but I can't remember what the fix was. I'll have to sign in on one of their forums.
post #67 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 05:31 PM

Haha Nemisis you THINK I'm over exaggerating, but for the first time ever I'm actually wearing out the top of my left boot!

And Massive Lee there are european's with the same issue on the AT Facebook page...one guy has had four other african twins and has been having the same issue...maybe he just needs to learn how to shift too? haha
post #68 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 05:53 PM

I am having the shift problems going up the box from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th, ever since the first service and the change of oil.

It was silky smooth until then, I need to put some more miles on the bike and see if it settles down.

It had a gentle running in period and a gentle 800 miles after that riding round Ireland with my Mrs on her 125, it was one of the only times I have ridden her since (the AT ) and I was wearing exactly the same boots, riding in a similar way, not in a rush, but I missed several changes and not just jumped out, but missed and false neutral, wouldn't change up or down until road-speed was reduced?

I need to ride it some more but the recent nochyness makes my last Harley feel like a Suzuki of Kawasaki with race shift!!
post #69 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnShroe View Post
Haha Nemisis you THINK I'm over exaggerating, but for the first time ever I'm actually wearing out the top of my left boot!

And Massive Lee there are european's with the same issue on the AT Facebook page...one guy has had four other african twins and has been having the same issue...maybe he just needs to learn how to shift too? haha
LOL

Okay, okay. I'll bow out and give you the benefit of the doubt.
post #70 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff097 View Post
I am having the shift problems going up the box from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th, ever since the first service and the change of oil.

It was silky smooth until then, I need to put some more miles on the bike and see if it settles down.

Interesting that it has only happened since the first oil change. That would immediately have me looking at what make or viscosity of oil that is used. Is there too much oil in the crankcase ?

Also were there any adjustments made when the service was done such as to the clutch lever or the chain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page