Manual gearbox problems - Page 9 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 14Likes

post #81 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 12:00 AM

Since I last posted my gear box seams to have sorted itself out after 6000km, 5- 6th now feels more solid. I think the gear box just needs time to wear itself in and don't treat it with kitten gloves, what I have been doing is on the open road is to change from 5-6 up and down and really toque the gears eg loading the gear box at full throttle then backing off then reload at full throttle. Now if you pulse jerk the engine at full throttle the gears feel solidly locked in and no longer get a false neutral, I use to see -- between 5-6th and now it is gone. Getting to the point work it and load it.
stormy1954 likes this.

Last edited by Crank; 10-15-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnShroe View Post
I'm getting the same thing, probably at least 10 false neutrals between 5-6 in the first 200 miles...enough of them that I can actually anticipate it happening and lean into it so as not to get dooped by the lack of acceleration. I've owned 12 bikes in the last 2 years and haven't had anything like this before...
I'm at 1000 km and had more than 10 false neutrals between 5th and 6th. It also jumped out of 6th gear 3 times while accelerating. Grrrr. Otherwise, the transmission is silky smooth, cold or warm and no false neutrals between other gears.

I contacted the dealer today. He will contact Honda to find out if this is known issue. I will post updates here.

JohnShroe: That's alot of false neutrals! Any update? Is the problem fixed? (how so please).
post #83 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 03:15 AM

I have a problem. When I downshift from 2nd to 1st gear at around 50km/h, the gears sort of grind and would go to neutral instead. Then, when kicking down from Neutral to 1st, again, the grinding occurs. Does anyone experience the same thing? It's getting very annoying and I'm pretty sure I would wear out the parts faster if this happens more often.

Yes, clutch lever is fully squeezed.

post #84 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:59 PM

Garage
Just to give my $.02 - I currently have a DCT bike, but previously I had a 2008 Kawasaki Concours and with it I would experience inconsistent oil related clutch issues.

All oil seemed to work fine when it was fresh, but by the time I hit as a little as 1000 miles the bike would clunk very hard into 1st and would be hard to find neutral. Sometimes I was changing the oil by 2000miles.

The only consistent solution I found was running Shell Rotella 6T 10w-40. It's a diesel oil that's ok for wet clutches, but was the only oil I used over 30,000 miles that would consistently make it to 3500 miles with no problems.

I'm not trying to start a oil thread, just saying it's something to consider.

Downfall is that Honda wants a 30wt oil
post #85 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walabam View Post
I have a problem. When I downshift from 2nd to 1st gear at around 50km/h, the gears sort of grind and would go to neutral instead.

Not sure that would ever be the right thing to do, in all my biking years I don't think I ever had to do that and I think the gearbox is just protecting itself and slipping into a real neutral

My 2c
African Twin Mofo likes this.

Have fun, or don't, your choice
post #86 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:01 AM

Mine was clunky and difficult for the first 1000 but now it's pretty good.
Keep on riding and give it a couple of thousand to settle in I'm sure it'll be fine.
post #87 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:53 AM

This may sound a bit strange but is true a mate of mine foolishly decided to get a BMW 650 SERATO whom had a similar problem so he took it to his local dealer and was told that he was to use BMW chain lube and don't ride with soft boots ! I just was lost for words when he told me that but I could be wrong or does BMW offer a more in-depth advice to there customers ?

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!
post #88 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 AM

AT manual tranny problems

Really interested in this thread as I'm a potential AT buyer. Any news from Honda or anyone on it? It does appear to be an issue since so many have reported shifting problems.
post #89 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulluvatime View Post
Really interested in this thread as I'm a potential AT buyer. Any news from Honda or anyone on it? It does appear to be an issue since so many have reported shifting problems.
Honda is shaking its heads most likely.......as they suspect like a few others have posted and I believe, it's an issue with the rider. How one shifts, how soft a pressure is applied, how many miles the bike has (most of these issues here the bikes are less then 1000 miles if not less then 2000 miles), and most have Pivot Pegz (which in themselves causes people to think they're shifting when in fact they haven't applied enough pressure).

I'm sure to get hate mail......but I too had maybe 3-4 false shifts, the popping out of gear or into another gear (as some might call it), all while the bike had less then 2000 miles. I realized after about the 3-4 false shift that I was the issue, not the bike! I didn't apply enough step (force) in the shifting or the correct coordination with the clutch. I have over 9000 miles and have had ZERO issues since. I've posted it before and I'll post it again. Try taking your pivot Pegz off, use some force, coordinate your shifts better and more importantly, go ride the **** thing! An oil change might help a little but for me, I got rid of the Pivot Pegz and started to pay attention how I shifted and now I don't even think about any of these "problems", I couldn't be happier with the bike.

I'd almost put a wager Honda comes back in almost every one of these cases doing little to nothing saying it's an owner issue, no discrepancies found. I write this without spite, and I don't mean to start a flame throwing thread but go ride, stop typing. Cheers.

Don't threaten me with a good time!
post #90 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrimurf View Post
Mine was clunky and difficult for the first 1000 but now it's pretty good.
Keep on riding and give it a couple of thousand to settle in I'm sure it'll be fine.
Same here. It got better and better after about 1000 miles. The question is if I just learned how to shift the gearbox better on this bike or if there was just something not working super smooth on the brand new gearbox.

However, I am getting more and more happy every day I ride this amazing motorcycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page