AT Suspension upgrading options ? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:33 AM
Junior Member
 
black99S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Why 25%/35% I've not spotted that recommended on any suspension tuning sites (I'm trying to get aftermarket suspension on an NC750X right)
Mike
Google 33% rider sag
Site won't let me post links - not enough posts to qualify?
Look at racetech.com/page/id/30 -- the table is a good summary.

Setting sag correctly allows you to use full suspension travel without bottoming out.
Good luck
black99S is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 05:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Durham England
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by black99S View Post
Google 33% rider sag
Site won't let me post links - not enough posts to qualify?
Look at racetech.com/page/id/30 -- the table is a good summary.

Setting sag correctly allows you to use full suspension travel without bottoming out.
Good luck
Ah yes - I can see that you AT guys would be looking at the dirt bike table entries, but for the NC I'm really following the street bike recommendations which are more or less the same for front and back in percentage terms.
As an aside - supposed adventure bikes are the biggest sellers (at least in the UK), but no specialist supsension tuners or websites seem to cater for this type of bike (ie big traillie lookalikes that are really road bikes). The suspension firm who fitted my Wilbers and Ractetech emulators is a very experienced racebike and tyre devlopment specialist but I'm sure he doesn't believe me when I say I don't want 'handling' I want a soft ride.
Mike
mike5100 is online now  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Co Wicklow Ireland
Posts: 208
Garage
There is a suspension specialist in Northern Ireland in Greyabbey. He is Clarence Bell at PLR Suspension. Telephone 028 4278 8854


He is a true expert and on occasions when I have visited him there have been motocross bikes on benches having their suspensions fettled. He accordingly knows "soft" suspensions very well. I am sorry I didn't go to him when I was messing around with my NC but the agency for Wilbers was with another individual who does not have the same expertise. We learn. Clarence is one of those who will find a fix for a problem and if he has to manufacture a special part to make something work, he will do so. There is nothing to lose by giving him a buzz. His specialty suspension is Ohlins but he will work with all makes.
6986 is offline  
 
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Durham England
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
There is a suspension specialist in Northern Ireland in Greyabbey. He is Clarence Bell at PLR Suspension. Telephone 028 4278 8854


He is a true expert and on occasions when I have visited him there have been motocross bikes on benches having their suspensions fettled. He accordingly knows "soft" suspensions very well. I am sorry I didn't go to him when I was messing around with my NC but the agency for Wilbers was with another individual who does not have the same expertise. We learn. Clarence is one of those who will find a fix for a problem and if he has to manufacture a special part to make something work, he will do so. There is nothing to lose by giving him a buzz. His specialty suspension is Ohlins but he will work with all makes.
I've appreciated your advice on this and the NC forum Griff - particularly your pioneering work in replacing the stock suspension. But Northern Ireland is a helluva trek for me
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and probably even further for most people on this AT forum.
The guy I am using near York, sounds like yer man in that he has had to make special bits up to make the Racetech emulators work with this new Showa DBV fork, but when I look at the springs he has used and the weight of oil I think he's leant more towards sportsbike performance handling than off-road softness - which is where I wanted to be. He's going to have a go at shifting it more that way on Wednesday so fingers crossed.
Mike
mike5100 is online now  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Member
 
doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NW England, UK
Posts: 74

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CZ 360, DT175, xt600, fzr600, r1100gs, r1150r, drz400, f800gs, r1200gs, r1200gsLC, CRF1000L
doug is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Co Wicklow Ireland
Posts: 208
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
I've appreciated your advice on this and the NC forum Griff - particularly your pioneering work in replacing the stock suspension. But Northern Ireland is a helluva trek for me
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and probably even further for most people on this AT forum.
The guy I am using near York, sounds like yer man in that he has had to make special bits up to make the Racetech emulators work with this new Showa DBV fork, but when I look at the springs he has used and the weight of oil I think he's leant more towards sportsbike performance handling than off-road softness - which is where I wanted to be. He's going to have a go at shifting it more that way on Wednesday so fingers crossed.
Mike

Best of luck. Unfortunately Andreani were thinking the same way as your specialist where I was concerned. I don't think it occurred to them that plushness was a requirement for the NC. However plushness is also going to be limited somewhat by the length of suspension travel . Emulators and spring rate changes are fiddly, but when they are eventually set up to ones liking they are reputed to be excellent.
6986 is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mudgee NSW. Aus
Posts: 18
Just fitted the Hyperpro rear spring on mine and am finding it much less vague on the bumps. I added 3 extra clicks of rebound from what I had been using stock. The bike sags a lot less and only need a click of preload whilst highway riding when I had the stock shock wound up to about 3 clicks off maximum. At 105Kg out of the shower I am not a lightweight. really happy with this change, apart from the swearing until I managed to get the unit out of the bike. I took a lot less time to get it back in. Cheers all.
eltel62 likes this.
Dirt Donkey is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 03:36 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
I think the stock suspension is OK for mild off pavement use as long as the bike is not loaded down, and you don't ride too fast. However, I may be doing both from time to time, so things are changing. It may not be a lot of help to those not in the US, but Konflict Motorsports in Washington state will be reworking my front suspension internals and spring rates, and the rear shock will be changed for a TT Extreme mainly because it has both low and high speed adjustments. The stock forks are surprisingly good on washboard and I didn't want to loose that completely. My hope is that the low speed adjustment will do the trick. Konflict's owner has an Africa Twin which has been fully modified for adventure riding and that's a plus in my mind. He asks lots of questions about riding experience, how fast you do the whoops, how high a ledge you would ride off of without hesitation, etc., to get a good handle on how to set the spring rates. On my last long ride (4 weeks) I weighed everything I was wearing and hauling just as soon as I got home. My co-riders did the same and we were all right at 65 pounds. Consider 20 pounds of helmet, boots, Klim gear, and the rest is camping and traveling stuff including the panniers. It's an interesting exercise.
kbwebb is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hand guard options whats out there? motomarc55 Parts and Accessories 37 09-25-2016 11:31 AM
Rear Spring Options-Help! cflittle Wheels, Tires, and Suspension 2 08-17-2016 11:17 PM
Top box options Ulster AT Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin General Discussion Forum 14 07-17-2016 01:05 PM
Sat nav options tjjj2006 Parts and Accessories 39 04-14-2016 05:37 AM
CRF1000L Africa Twin Transmission Options [w/Poll] Adventurer Engine and Technical Discussion 15 10-17-2015 03:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome