Alternative tyres to OEM Dunlops - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Co Wicklow Ireland
Posts: 208
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denburger View Post
Those PIRELLI Rally STR won't be available for some time Down-under (Australia)
But they do have a Pirelli Scorpion MT90/AT,
http://www.linkint.com.au/motorcycle...ange_item.html
Look alright to me I might try them,
Anybody have any experience or comment on them ???


I have them on my AT currently and they are excellent tyres imho. They were original equipment on my former 950 Adventure and I liked them on that bike also. They are primarily road tyres but with the pressures dropped a little they perform reasonably well offroad on all but the muckiest conditions. They have a slight tendency to twitch when crossing linear white lines on the road but their performance overall is much to my liking.
Photo of the rear attached. Sorry about the sideways aspect but it was upright when I uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050359.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	9818  
superfunkomatic likes this.
6986 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Junior Member
 
Fast Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
Although not cheap I have used pirelli tyres for years mt21 rally cross for road and trail
And scorpion or diablo for super motard wheels.
As the at is my first adv bike I will def use the scorpion rally when the stock dunlops wear out .
Fast Eddie is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 46
Another vote here for Karoo 3's. They are great on the road - smooth and quiet, and much better on dirt/gravel than the OEM tires. I did a 400 mile ride this weekend with a group of mostly dual sport riders. It was a mixture of asphalt, dirt, gravel, and loose/wet rocks. They handled all of the conditions very well, especially the loose/wet rocks. The combination of traction control (on lowest setting) and the DCT really made me a much better rider than I really am when going up the rock strewn wet hill - the bike made it look easy when a lot of dual sport guys were struggling. The AT got plenty of compliments at the top of that hill
I did not get to try the Karoo 3's in mud, so I can't comment on their performance in mud. They are still new, so I also can't comment on their longevity.
TMac99 is online now  
 
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Member
 
Swen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 31
Shinko 804/805

I installed the Shinko tires on my bike and like them better than the OEM tires. It takes a while to get used to knobby tires on the road but the grip is much better than you would think. The handling of the bike was very different compared to the OEM tire. But I have to say I installed also 4mm Michelin Ultra Heavy Duty tubes with the new tires, so I could feel the weight of the tubes in the corners. After the first 200 miles you will get used to this. However I got 3 flat tires in 1500 miles with the OEM tire/tubes.... guess this will be much better now.
In the dirt the traction of the Shinko tires is good. Only the grip of the rear tire when when accelerating out of the corners is not on a top level, but I must admit this can also be a lot of fun :-) In the rain they are as good as the OEM tire or even a bit better. This was the proof how bad the OEM tires really are. If a knobby tire is as good or better in the rain as a street tire, you know that Dunlop made a bad job here.
They last very long, are not too loud and are cheap to buy. A very good tire for 50/50 use. I would recomend this to riders who what to do longer tours on and offroad. If you ride mainly on streets I am sure there are better options available, but for the mix of on and offroad tours, the Shinko 804/805 is an amazing tire !!!
Swen is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:44 AM
Member
 
Kiwimat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 37
This bike is awesome to ride, I have to say the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 90/10 tubeless tyres on this bike really make it shine, they tip in nicely, grip very well, DO NOT follow or track in grooves in the road, and when your halfway in a corner and want to tighten you line, no problems at all.
I haven’t ridden this bike with the original tyres and rims so I cannot do a comparison, but the way this bike is set up, it is a serious corner carver.


Not a bad effort scrubbing in the Pirelli Scorpion Trails




Wouter V. and Martin_D like this.

Cheers
Kiwimat

---------------------------

Honda Africa Twin 2016 (Martins bike)
BMW K1300R 2013
Kiwimat is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 06:34 AM
Member
 
Swen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
I installed the Shinko tires on my bike and like them better than the OEM tires. It takes a while to get used to knobby tires on the road but the grip is much better than you would think. The handling of the bike was very different compared to the OEM tire. But I have to say I installed also 4mm Michelin Ultra Heavy Duty tubes with the new tires, so I could feel the weight of the tubes in the corners. After the first 200 miles you will get used to this. However I got 3 flat tires in 1500 miles with the OEM tire/tubes.... guess this will be much better now.
In the dirt the traction of the Shinko tires is good. Only the grip of the rear tire when when accelerating out of the corners is not on a top level, but I must admit this can also be a lot of fun :-) In the rain they are as good as the OEM tire or even a bit better. This was the proof how bad the OEM tires really are. If a knobby tire is as good or better in the rain as a street tire, you know that Dunlop made a bad job here.
They last very long, are not too loud and are cheap to buy. A very good tire for 50/50 use. I would recomend this to riders who what to do longer tours on and offroad. If you ride mainly on streets I am sure there are better options available, but for the mix of on and offroad tours, the Shinko 804/805 is an amazing tire !!!
Just in case some people see the review about the Shinko 804/805 tires I wrote. There is something I noticed during my tour in the Mojave Desert today. While the rear tire is still doing good the front tire sucks bad in the sand. I know most people hate sand anyways, but I normaly love it and this is the terrain where I am pretty good at. However, today with the Shinko front tire I was really in trouble. I would go as far to say that even the OEM front tire worked better in sand. My buddy has the Dunlop 606 on his Africa Twin and while he was just driving super stable in the sand without any problems my front tire was nearly unridable. A flat front tire on the street feels the same like the Shinko front tire in the sand.

On everything else the Shinko tires are great (the rear tire is really impressive !!!). But don't get the front tire if you ride in sand often.

Last edited by Swen; 03-06-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Swen is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
Just in case some people see the review about the Shinko 804/805 tires I wrote. There is something I noticed during my tour in the Mojave Desert today. While the rear tire is still doing good the front tire sucks bad in the sand. I know most people hate sand anyways, but I normaly love it and this is the terrain where I am pretty good at. However, today with the Shinko front tire I was really in trouble. I would go as far to say that even the OEM front tire worked better in sand. My buddy has the Dunlop 606 on his Africa Twin and while he was just driving super stable in the sand without any problems my front tire was nearly unridable. A flat front tire on the street feels the same like the Shinko front tire in the sand.

On everything else the Shinko tires are great (the rear tire is really impressive !!!). But don't get the front tire if you ride in sand often.
I will be getting these soon so I appreciate your input.
When you say not good in sand are you referring to deep sand or sand covered dirt/paved roads?

Thanks.
Swen likes this.
Drum Dog is online now  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Senior Member
 
High Country's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 123
I've been going back and forth over the Shinko or the Mitas E-07, and you are right the Shinko seem to be a great tire for the price. I appreciated your post on the Shinko's. They seem to get better reviews from owners than the Mitas. Also finding that the Mitas are out of stock whereas the Shinkos are more available. That may say something in itself.
Swen likes this.
High Country is online now  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Member
 
Swen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 31
Yes the Shinkos get better reviews than the Mitas. So switching to Mitas will maybe not improve my situation. Tires are always a compromise, guess I have to look for a softer front tire. Sure it will not last as long, on the other side it's not fun for me when my buddy is flying through the sand like a Dakar Pro and I am riding like a drunken sailor He switched from the Shinko 804/805 front and rear to a Dunlop 606 in the front and the Shinko on the rear. Also I have no problem with having not so much grip on the rear tire, but on the front tire this is much more dangerous. BTW, even to air down the front tire didn't improve the performance in the sand. For most people this doesn't matter so much, but I live in the Nevada desert and I can even see sand dunes from my balcony. So sand performance is for me much much more important than how the tire performs on wet roads. Someone let's say in UK or Germany has much different things on their list what a tire must be good at.
Swen is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Senior Member
 
superfunkomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 265
I really like the Scorpion Trails on my KLR. I went from Heidenau K60s to the Pirellis and it was night and day. They are like a sport touring tire. Surprisingly, they are okay in gravel but do wander more than a knobby - but not dramatically so.

I've purchased the Shinko 804/805 for my trip this summer, so I'll be able to see just how long they will last. The Pirelli MT90 AT were a close second but were so much more money that I thought I'd finally give the Shinko tires a try (hopefully I don't regret it). Can't find the Mitas E07 in stock anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimat View Post
This bike is awesome to ride, I have to say the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 90/10 tubeless tyres on this bike really make it shine, they tip in nicely, grip very well, DO NOT follow or track in grooves in the road, and when your halfway in a corner and want to tighten you line, no problems at all.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson

superfunkomatic is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In defense of the OEM tyres (and tubes) eltel62 Wheels, Tires, and Suspension 60 03-18-2017 11:33 PM
TKC 70 Tyres tredown Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin General Discussion Forum 13 03-17-2017 07:24 AM
Tyre Choices for the road (sports touring tyres) FMB Wheels, Tires, and Suspension 22 02-06-2017 09:05 PM
The OEM Shock, opinions ? 6986 Wheels, Tires, and Suspension 15 07-21-2016 10:57 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
Replace with
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome