OEM Dunlop Problems - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:48 PM

I just spooned on a K60 rear and a TKC80 front. Only put 30 miles on them so far and my first impression is good. I had them up to 80 mph on a private chipseal road and they were stable and the bike just feels more planted. The front feels a little twitchy at low speeds but I put that down to the aggressive knobby tread. I didn't want to push them before I get them scrubbed in. But the bike feels like a different bike and I need some time to get used to the more precise handling I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:54 PM

Garage
Please let us know more once you get some more miles on the Heidenau K60 scout.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Hi Griff are the Pirelli MT 90 tyres suitable for both on and off road.i will b 85% on road and in wet and windy and this weather icy conditions ?

They are predominantly a road tyre and I first used them on my KTM 950 Adventure. They were just as good on that bike as they are on the AT, and all of my Friends who used them on 950/990's had a good opinion of them. They are fairly decent offroad tyres in reasonably firm going, but like most tyres of this genre they are not so good in muddy conditions.

The only downsides on the roa are a slight tendency to squirm over white lines. They did exactly the same on the KTM 950 but as on that bike, I have become accustomed to that, and the overall excellent grip on the road more than makes up for it. I have thought of trying Pirelli Scorpion Trails but they are even more road oriented and I do occasionally find myself on a track or two.

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mur View Post
I had the same experience as Hemdawg with the stock tyres. Changed to Conti Trail Attack 2's which have totally transformed the bike.
I have had the o/e dunlops let go at high ish speed 80/90 mph in the damp and wet when not leaning over far , scary ,as well as a few low speed slides , I like riding in the wet though. A few people say the contis are great bridgestone will have tyre in the spring, I may try the Pirelli scorpion even though they don't last very long , dealers say its the odd rear wheel size that limits choice and of course the tubeless requirement as well
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:22 PM

The Dunlop Trailmax Tire's where also fit stock on my current bike, the CB500X 2016 model. I had the same experience with riding in the wet..

They where very slippery.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

This is great feedback everyone. Keep it coming.

Just did 1000km on the fresh conti tyres with complete confidence. All dry tarmac though, so a wet test is yet to come.

My dunlop issues were all in the dry, the bike has been transformed
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 01:18 AM

I bought the AT mainly for dirt use, so I fully intended to swap the OEM tyres in any case. But I have to say that those OEM tyres were unpredictable to say the least, and apt to let go without warning in the wet. I couldn't wait to get them off.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 02:28 PM

I have just replaced the original fitment Trailmax after 10,000 miles. Road use, solo or two up, they were excellent. Now fitted the newer Trailsmart. We shall see but first impression is a much harsher ride. The profile of the new front tyre is better for low speed turning but the harsh ride picks up the rougher road surfaces. Am going to try it with reduced preload and see if that calms things down a bit? Grip wise they seem ok but I never had any issues, except for the low speed steering, with the original Trailmax set up.
Dave.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 03:51 PM

Initially I didn't have any problems with the dunlops in the summer.
But once the temperatures started dropping below 10 centigrade and there are more rainy days than dry I started getting quite frustrated with the OEM setup.

The back tire lets go from the slightest acceleration in the wet, and the front gives zero confidence, especially in low speed cornering.
Having done more km's commuting in wet, dark weather and busy traffic over the last weeks, I've had some quite scary moments that I had never had with previous tires.
Mind you, the **** state of roads over here surely don't help...

I've made up my mind to change to a different set in the nearby future, keeping the dunlops for the summer.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 04:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID Corner View Post
I have just replaced the original fitment Trailmax after 10,000 miles. .

I have never, ever managed to get 10,000 miles out of a set of tyres. In fact at 6000kms (about 4000 Miles) when I replaced them, the stock tyres were 75% worn. I ride briskly but not particularly aggressively most of the time. What is your secret ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page