OEM Dunlop Problems - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco10 View Post
I will be seeing my local shop about swapping the OEMs for TA2s with HD tubes tomorrow rain willing. Glad to hear you have good confidence in the bike with better rubber on it. When I lost the rear a couple of days ago on my ride home with my new bike I thought I might have made a mistake getting the AT.
You wont regret the TA2's and you wont regret the AT with them on, i would be very surprised if you didn't think they transformed the bike.

Let us know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:46 PM

Has anyone had any scary moments with different tyres or is it just with the oem,s
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 02:30 PM

With the AT OEM’s I wouldn’t say I had scary moments but definitely moments of concern.
When I took the bike to the Pico’s mountains having changed to Continental TA2's I had no such moments and on a couple of occasions lent the bike far enough to scrape my Pivot Pegz mark 3’s, suffice to say TA2's were confident to the edge…

Have ridden numerous different bikes with different tyres and certainly for road use wouldn’t recommend anything over the TA2’s for the AT

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:11 PM

The response from Dunlop Europe was also the same on the Dunlop stand at the NEC show, one of the guys on the stand said replacing the OEM with standard Trail max tyres would transform the bike on the road.
I have not had any major issues - one minor slide on roundabout in very wet conditions but generally have been OK but not brilliant wet and dry.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 PM

Garage
I've read a lot of negative things about the OEM Dunlops and I'm sure these complaints have there merit but I would like to share one of my experiences with others. I just got my AT and within the first 200 miles I had already lost my chicken strips. I left on a 3 day 1000 mile trip soon after and ended up riding home on the third day in the rain. I was riding at a brisk pace as I usually do when I came upon a truck in my way, as I proceeded to pass I noticed a car coming at me and knew I had to get back in my lane ASAP. I was on a open sweeper and noticed a set of RR tracks crossing the road at an angle in front of me but had to get over to avoid the car coming at me. I was at a lean when I hit the wet tracks and the bike immediately lost traction and slid but then immediately regained traction when the tire touched asphalt. Naturally I was puckered but at the same time I was extremely impressed with the tires performance. This all happened before I read all the negative post about the tires or I probably would have not put myself in that particular situation. I ride with full confidence in the OEM tires and I think that not all these tires were created equal, there must have been something changed during production or these tires are coming from different plants. Please do not take my experience as a guide as how you should ride on these tires, each has to feel out their own handling characteristics. Ride safe guys.

2016 Silver DCT # 000051
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 03:40 AM

Garage
A test in Italy

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

use google to translate ;-)

Not so bad in normal condition - dry (8, 9 / 10)
Bad in wet (3, 4 / 10)

Motociclismo went to Japan to express this. Honda didn't want to change anything

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wouter V. and davidji like this.

Bonne route

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erey View Post
A test in Italy

use google to translate ;-)

Not so bad in normal condition - dry (8, 9 / 10)
Bad in wet (3, 4 / 10)

Motociclismo went to Japan to express this. Honda didn't want to change anything

Interesting read, I would have liked to get a translation of the mag article. Pretty much chimes with what I have experienced in my short time on the AT so far. OK in the dry but not great, very very bad in the wet.

Unless there was a batch problem and Dunlop/Honda are keeping quiet about it, if the 2017 AT has the same tyres I think that shows an unacceptable disregard for rider safety on Hondas part.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old Today, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Anyone else like to add to the thread?
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old Today, 11:45 AM

Yes.
Will be receiving my new Candy red Africa Twin next week.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old Today, 04:19 PM

I got my AT in November last year and was told it's the 2017 model - same tyres no real difference to 2016 model as I can see. I've done 1000 miles so far and am not too keen on the tyres. This time of year the roads in my locale are wet/damp and often salted or the sludge that is left after they've been salted so not the best. I get out most weekends and have not had a ride out without at least one slip usually from the back but today I had both move a little. It is very strange as the tyres will grip after the slip so it is not all that dramatic. I can get the back end to slide a little by just putting the power on out of a damp corner, the traction control has helped keep me upright when I've been messing about.

I contrast this with my 3 sets of Michelin PR4's I had on my Explorer which rarely slipped in the 3 years I had the bike.

I will be changing the tyres probably to Continental Trail Attack 2 but I'm in no rush and will wait to see if any other suppliers come up with tyres for the 18in wheel.

Not sure this helps just confirms what others have said.

Last edited by Davey; Today at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page