Dual Purpose Tyre Choice - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 12Likes

post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Does anyone think the oem were good.i want to feel confident at speed in the wet so am wondering will I change tyres minute I get bike.im from Ireland were the norm is wet.i will mostly be on tar,maybe 85-15%???? Maybe more with a little confidence ?
I am in Canada and like the oem tires ,I only put 400 klms on my oems but they seemed to work great in the twisties ,I did change them out for knobby type tires as I purchased the AT with the intention of heavy dirt riding,but will be keeping the oem"s if I decide on any extended pavement trips in the future,as was mentioned earlier maybe we got a different tire over here because there seems to be quite a few riders from across the pond that are unhappy with them.
Bullseye likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:49 AM

The OEM's aren't that bad. I put 3k miles on them before I changed them out for a TKC80 m&s front and a K60 scout rear. Once I got caught in a monsoon rain (Typical Pacific north west weather)for at least an hour at speeds up to 75 mph with no problems. The only gripe I had was on gravel they were really squirrely.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Guys,

What do these (any make) dual purpose tyres handle like on the road, especially in the wet?

Whenever i speak to anyone about getting some, they always say they suck for road use, which is kind obvious really, but are they really bad?

I will be mainly commuting, and using the bike for a bit of fun when i am off, so dont want it to be awesome off road and then scary as **** on the road.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:57 AM

I am in the same boat as u Burkey.mostly on road with a bit of fun.has anyone found the right combination for say85-15% road/back roads????
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:41 PM

Hi Drum Dog.

So far I only have 3600 km on the set. It may be too early to tell and the rear tire milage will not be a good indication.
Because the AT is a new toy, and I am trying to get the best out of it, there is a lot of sliding into and spinning out of corners.
Drum Dog likes this.

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:47 AM

Garage
I would like to try the TKC80 front / Midas E07 rear combo myself; I have been thinking about at some point getting some alpina rims and keeping a full set of TKC 80s on those and the Midas E07s on the stock rims also, but $$$....

..rb
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Does anyone think the oem were good.i want to feel confident at speed in the wet so am wondering will I change tyres minute I get bike.im from Ireland were the norm is wet.i will mostly be on tar,maybe 85-15%???? Maybe more with a little confidence ?
I wouldn't say they are good, they are nowhere near the Angel GT's that I had on a previous bike. In the dry they are fine, in the wet you have to be careful but don't worry they won't instantly kill you lol

Red M/T, the shinyness didn't last long...
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 02:24 PM

I elected to try the Shinko 804/805's and so far I'm very happy with them. Too soon to tell how long they will last though. My only reservation is on the rear which has no aggressive side knobs for crawling out of ruts or for side hill riding. I have other bikes for that so it may not be an issue. I was quite surprised at how little difference there was in noise and ride quality on pavement compared to the stock tires.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:10 PM

Garage
As stated in a previous thread, if you are riding mainly on the tar, I would seriously suggest the Pirelli range of tyres. My suggestion would be SCORPION MT90/AT. Visit their web page and you can view their full range.
I think that if you are looking at the occasional dirt road, then buying anything with agressive tread is not a good idea. The Mefo explorer is one of them to keep away from. They are just plain dangerous in the wet and in my opinion not worth the efforts. They have serious problems with delamination tear (mine lasted one ride). The company gave me a full refund and you can read about them on line!
Midas are a great tyre for 50/50 EO7's (not the front - useless on the gravel). The rear lasts and lasts. You can expect to get 6-8000km if you are not an agressive rider.
As previously stated, look up Motoz, made for Aussie conditions which means good for almost any condition perhaps the ice and snow! The explorer range is surperb, but in my opinion the front is loose in the sand, but fantastic in the dirt, gravel and rocks.
My suggestion for anyone wanting a great off road (real off road), combination is:
Motoz Tractionator Adventure (Rear), if you can purchase them outside Oz.
TKC 80 front
Yes! you do get what you pay for, don't skimp when it comes to tyre choice.
Bullseye likes this.

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing."
O. W. H.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 07:34 PM

I am really pleased (so far with 500 miles on em) with the TKC80 front with a K60 scout rear. I hope they wear well. Mostly tar/chip seal with the occasional fire/logging road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page