Dual Purpose Tyre Choice - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Dual Purpose Tyre Choice

Hello Guys,

New here, so wanted to say Hi first.

My name is James, I live in the south west of rural England and have recently purchased a 2016 Africa Twin.

It currently has a set of on road, Dunlops (ill get the exact make later).

I have been looking to change the tyres to a set of dual purpose tyres, i will be commuting 4 days a week (about 500 miles or so a month) but in my spare time i would be looking to hit a few trails and lanes an such and have found the tyres lacking in grip for obvious reasons.

Where i live is a mixture of normal every day A and B roads but lots of twisty rutted and wet lanes.

My old bike years ago ran Pirelli Scorpio all around and that worked well for a bit of off roading on my old Honda XR 125 as well as commuting.

So here is what i have narrowed it down to in terms of the tyres on the market.

Front
Pirelli SCORPION MT90 A/T FRONT
90/90-21 TT 54S M/C Front wheel DOT2014
50 Apprx

Rear
K60 Scout M+S
150/70 B18 TL 70 T
100 Apprx

My biggest concern is the front tyres, being so tall and fairly narrow, it has its limitations in terms of corning grip, so that is really my focus, the rear from my research suggest the Heidnau tyres are very good.

Any and all opinions welcome, but i also appreciate that tyres is a subjective choice.

Thanks

Burkey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 02:09 PM

I've ridden the Heidenau tires on my KLR and found them a compromise on road and off road - that's my opinion, I know lots of riders love them.

I replaced the Heidenaus mid-trip with Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires and found they were good as a tourer, gravel but not with muck or sticky/wet surfaces offroad.

I have also ridden the TKC80 tires and liked them but I don't think they are as 'magical' as they are made out to be. True to their reputation they are good on the street, good in gravel and offroad, but wore quickly (maybe 6,000 kilometres for the set).

I think the MT90 Pirellis look like a good mix of street and gravel duty for the AT. That's at the top of my list right now, too.

I'm tempted to try the Shinko 804/805 tires as well. I've read mostly good reports of street and offroad riding. They seem to have the benefits of a tire like the K60/TKC80 with good road manners and durability for long distances.

I have a marathon trip planned for the summer. I should be able to use up the stock tires (might as well use them up) and replace them on the second part of my journey.

__
2008 Honda Varadero, 1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Hello Superfunk,

Cheers for the reply.

I agree with you RE the Pirellis, they do look the better of the dual purpose tyres and previous experience with them actually being good tyres, think i will get them for the front.

Looking at those Shinko tyres, my opinion says they are too cheap, I don't want to have to spend money, but if i have to i want to make the right choice and if need be pay for it. However, if i was to put the bike into more heavier off road use than commuting mainly i would go for some cheaper tyres so they can be trashed a little more off road with less concern.

When you say the Heidnau felt like a compromise, could you elaborate more on that?

I still have a fair few thousand miles left on my current ones but tbh, they suck balls in the wet, and in jolly old England it rains as much as it snows in Canada.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkey View Post
Looking at those Shinko tyres, my opinion says they are too cheap, I don't want to have to spend money, but if i have to i want to make the right choice and if need be pay for it
I am the same and normally I belive in "you get what you pay for".... this is the reason why I first didn't want to buy the Shinko 804/805, but I can tell you that this is an amazing tire. No idea how they can offer such a good tire for this low price. But it is really a good choice !!!
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:37 PM

Hi Burkey,I'm in the same boat of thought.Im waiting on my new AT and from Ireland worry about the oem tyres in the wet.My off roading will be little enough,mostly numerous type roads.I want to feel safe in heavy rain.let us no what u choose and what u think.how bad are the factory tyres in wet conditions.any hairy moments.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:16 PM

Hi, I'm really happy with TKC80 front combined with a Mefo super explorer rear.
Good on road and very good on the trails.
See here

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Hi Burkey,I'm in the same boat of thought.Im waiting on my new AT and from Ireland worry about the oem tyres in the wet.My off roading will be little enough,mostly numerous type roads.I want to feel safe in heavy rain.let us no what u choose and what u think.how bad are the factory tyres in wet conditions.any hairy moments.
Due to the traction control being more free it does give the illusion of less grip in the wet.

However, this i feel is not a flaw, it is the "off road" nature of the bike coming out, letting a little slip.

For example my bike before, a Honda VFR 800 Vtec, if the TC kicked in, it would pull all power until you release and back on, this one when on a bend it will hold the power so that it will keep the bike stable but if you want to back off you can.

However, in the mild damp, with full TC it means you can actually drift haha.

About 3 hours ago i drove home in the pissing rain through lanes for about 12 miles and i had one little "skip" from the rear under hard acceleration. However, i reckon simply diving a little more to the conditions i reckon the tyres would be pretty good. However, simply looking at the tyre the tread pattern does seem more aimed at drier conditions with the less rain channels.

I am almost certain those pirellis will be the front, and the Hidenaus for the rear, basically get a good set for the first set of tyres and see how they get on. They are more on the knobbly side other tyres i have seen have just been deeper tread road tyres.
If they do not dazzle, i will shop around for maybe some cheaper ones which are less severe on the pocket to replace like the ones mentioned above
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

[quote=welshgar;125266]Hi, I'm really happy with TKC80 front combined with a Mefo super explorer rear.
See here

Wow, they look good, and the HQ for that company is based not far from me.

You got them on your AT?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:32 AM

Hi guys
I would like to share my experience and opinions on a couple dual sport tires.
I rode Baja and copper canyon Mexico with tkc80s
As mentioned above, the tkc80s are only good for 5-6000 k on the street, but in my opinion they are a good off road tire, yet sticky enough to drag pegs on nice Tarmac.

I rode from Victoria British Columbia to Prudue Bay Alaska with Heidineau scout 60s.
We choose the Heidi's because of the reported durability. The round trip was about 12000k. The tires did indeed make the trip there and back, albeit a bit squared off in the back.
But BEWARE, the Heidineau tire are scarey on wet pavement. Never had tires the squirm around like the Heidineaus. Particularly on the painted lines.
The heidineaus longevity comes from a hard rubber compound. But that comes at the price of decent traction.
I'll be mounting TKC80s in the spring.

More Hondas than others
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgar View Post
Hi, I'm really happy with TKC80 front combined with a Mefo super explorer rear.
See here

I have the same setup as you and I'm impressed with my rear Mefo super explorer. Perfect match.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page