How do you Feel about Tubed Tires? - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 12Likes

post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Maybe Metzeler tires but I can't decide on which one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:20 PM

I'll put on the Heidi K60 Scouts pretty much as soon as I get it home. I've had good luck with them in the past, and I don't plan on using this as a true dirt bike. They've done well on the oil field roads out my way until it gets real wet, then it's even a challenge with four wheel drive. I have a WR when I want to ride where I am going to need real knobbies.

I'd rather be riding.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:09 PM

Tires are the Achilles heel of Adventure bikes. Road and gravel have separate requirements which current wheel/tire technology cannot overcome. And lightweight, small diameter wheels are best for road travel, while more robust, large diameter wheels are preferable for off-road. Riding on both surfaces means making concessions one way or the other.

Unless future technology can literally reinvent the wheel, we must make do with what we have.

post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsten View Post
I'll put on the Heidi K60 Scouts pretty much as soon as I get it home. I've had good luck with them in the past, and I don't plan on using this as a true dirt bike. They've done well on the oil field roads out my way until it gets real wet, then it's even a challenge with four wheel drive. I have a WR when I want to ride where I am going to need real knobbies.
How do they behave (if at all) on the road?
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 06:58 PM

I never had any issues with the way they handled, but I'm also used to riding full knobby tires on pavement. The knobs on the sides of Kenda K760's would move around on you because they were so small when you dropped into a turn and the whole bike would squirm around. After awhile you get used to them. The K60's aren't a sport touring tire, so you can't expect them to handle like one and they aren't a true offroad tire.

I've liked the Karoo 3 and the TKC 80's better off road/gravel road but I just could live with the tire life.

I'd rather be riding.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 PM

My Super Tenere is laced with Excel wheels which means tubed and I've never had any issues. I'm also on TKC80 and can get my lean on in the canyon without feeling too loose. Great tire but as been stated the tread life is a little harsh the rear.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarinsocal View Post
My Super Tenere is laced with Excel wheels which means tubed and I've never had any issues. I'm also on TKC80 and can get my lean on in the canyon without feeling too loose. Great tire but as been stated the tread life is a little harsh the rear.
and how do you find the TK's in the dirt? IIRC you mentioned you ride the S10 fairly often off pavement?
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:08 PM

I find that I can do most of our rides on the Tourance that are on the bike now but when we have a bunch of good riders and I know that we are going to do deep sand or single track the TKC80 does wonders. I've done a few single track in the mountains with the Tourances but I learned my lesson. It's really hard going and the front end tends to lose grip compared with the TKC. Lately I'm getting lazier and keeping the Tourance in the rear and just changing out the front. I'm in the middle of getting another front laced up in a 21" with a dedicated TKC so I don't have to keep changing out tires which gets old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150629_094529.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	450  

XR400R
Tmax
CB750f
CB900f
Super Tenere
Africa Twin Tricolor

Last edited by Solarinsocal; 08-21-2015 at 10:13 PM.
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 08:47 AM

I will use the AT for my daily commute to work and weekend to the woods. I've had several flats over the years and pretty easy to repair a tubeless tire and not be late too work, hence, I would like to find a safe, effective replacement to run tubeless tires.
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:39 AM

You may want to look into Tubliss then.

XR400R
Tmax
CB750f
CB900f
Super Tenere
Africa Twin Tricolor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page