How do you Feel about Tubed Tires? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

How do you Feel about Tubed Tires?

Yes I'm going there... I know many people are kind of upset that the AT doesn't offer tubeless tires. But from what I've been reading tubeless don't do as well with hot pavement as the seals actually start to melt.

I think I trust tubes better on a big ADV...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 03:49 PM

I am trying to focus on the positives and you can get home with a bent wheel with a tube easier than one without. That said I really am disappointed that these are not tubeless. I have had two R/GS's and a Super Tenere and have never had a problem and frankly never heard of one. I believe some of the Italians have individual o-rings which can be problematic. Most big adv bikes the spoke does not penetrate the rim so it is a non-issue. I believe they may be prone to more broken spokes though.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 10:35 AM

I don't know.. tubed tires are better for off road IMO, you can air down without bead issues...

plus tubeless spoked rims are prohibitively expensive...its really not a big deal to change a tube out in the field, if you plan to go miles from civilization and can't change the tube in your own demmed tire, well you deserve to get stuck...

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 11:52 AM

I prefer having tubed. You can run tubeless tires (with a tube inside) on a tubed wheel, but not the other way around. That gives you much better selection. As Nessuno stated, it also allows you to air down which makes a huge difference off road. You can also still ride home if you dent a rim, and the rims are typically cheaper to replace when you do manage to wreck them.

Personally, I think the tubed tires are a plus.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsten View Post
I prefer having tubed. You can run tubeless tires (with a tube inside) on a tubed wheel, but not the other way around. That gives you much better selection. As Nessuno stated, it also allows you to air down which makes a huge difference off road. You can also still ride home if you dent a rim, and the rims are typically cheaper to replace when you do manage to wreck them.

Personally, I think the tubed tires are a plus.
I just wonder/worry about what kind of rubber selection we're going to have at 90/90-R21 and 150/70-R18. What I mean by worry is speed rating... Although I supposed anything is going to be a compromise short of going dedicated knobbies or streets...
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 03:31 PM

The Kenda K784 Big Block and the Continental TKC80 are both Q Rated (100 mph) and the Heidenau K60 Scout (not knobbie, but my long distance tire of choice) is T rated (118 mph). There's a few others out there.

The only issues I see with the tires will be availabilty. The 19/17 combination is easy to find for the big bikes is easy to find while on the road. BMW set that standard a long time ago. 21/18 for big bikes, not so much. It might take a little more planning on long trips.
Adventurer, Nessuno and TypeJ like this.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 05:20 PM

Thanks for making that information clear, for most folks that speed rating will be sufficient, especially for those like me that will be stuck doing suburb to city commutes and some casual rides to escape from the daily grind.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 05:28 PM

Hey, if someone is gonna do over 100 mph on knobbies, I wanna watch
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 AM

The air down point is a good one I had not considered. I ride like an old lady these days so I can go full pressure and not worry about it. I have plugged a couple of tubeless tires and I can tell you it is much easier than replacing a tube.
nose2wind likes this.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBwell View Post
The air down point is a good one I had not considered. I ride like an old lady these days so I can go full pressure and not worry about it. I have plugged a couple of tubeless tires and I can tell you it is much easier than replacing a tube.
For sure and if you're going to ride street there's really no worries. I wonder if honda might offer a mag wheel in more conventional sizes for those looking for a more supermoto-ish feel, look, ride... (highly beyond doubtful)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page