A question about tires and tubes - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

A question about tires and tubes

Went to do my pre-ride inspection this morning and found what appears to be a roofing nail embedded in my OEM Dunlop. Weird thing is, the tire is holding pressure.

I wanted to upgrade to Mitas E-07's anyway, so I will take the opportunity to buy new tires and tubes. My question is; which tubes? I don't have any experience with tube tires and I want to know if there is any advantage to buying a heavier tube. I have read that a heavier tube can cause handling problems during high speed road riding. Is this the case? Am I less likely to have a puncture if I have a heavier tube?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:45 PM

From what I read, the heavy duty tubes prevent pinch flats. My dealer told me all they could get was the "Dakar" version of the tire, which has thicker sidewalls that guard against pinch flats anyway. I don't have much experience with tubes, but that is what I have inferred from reading.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:24 AM

Hi pavnryn, there is lots of information on tube types in Forum's and on the web.
One thing I have learnt, is if you carry a spare tube to replace a punctured one, then brand and type don't matter that much.
But if you want to repair a punctured tube with a patch kit, then make sure you fit a 100% Natural Rubber tube,
the other type Butal Rubber will most likely split or tear once punctured making it useless to repair.
I have also learnt to do both, fit a carry spare Natural Rubber tubes as well as a patch repair kit.
Be prepared
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Burger.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Morgan View Post
From what I read, the heavy duty tubes prevent pinch flats. My dealer told me all they could get was the "Dakar" version of the tire, which has thicker sidewalls that guard against pinch flats anyway.
There was another poster on this board that mentioned the Dakar version is difficult to mount on your own - particularly out in the field - because of the very stiff sidewall. I am not riding any single track, mostly fire roads and hunting roads so I think I am going to try the standard version. I want to be self sufficient when I am riding alone, so I'm going to mount them at home and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denburger View Post
if you carry a spare tube to replace a punctured one, then brand and type don't matter that much. But if you want to repair a punctured tube with a patch kit, then make sure you fit a 100% Natural Rubber tube
From what I have been reading in the various forums, natural rubber definitely looks like the way to go, most riders seem to think natural rubber deflates slower in the event of a puncture. That makes sense in light of your comment that butyl tubes tend to tear or split. But I also read that natural rubber loses air faster on a day to day basis - have you noticed that? I check my tires every ride, so it shouldn't be an issue.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanryn View Post

From what I have been reading in the various forums, natural rubber definitely looks like the way to go, most riders seem to think natural rubber deflates slower in the event of a puncture. That makes sense in light of your comment that butyl tubes tend to tear or split. But I also read that natural rubber loses air faster on a day to day basis - have you noticed that? I check my tires every ride, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Yea, I have heard and been told this many times as well, that Rubber Tubes loose pressure, guess what, it's true, I checked my pressures and after 2 weeks the rear lost 2psi, wow big deal!
I think, (for people who ride frequently) if anyone doesn't check their M/C tire pressures at least every week as well as other components, than you shouldn't be allowed to ride one of these wonderful machines, part of the riding experience is making sure your equipment is up to scratch. Am I right ?

The Burger.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:59 AM

On my trip to Portugal (aug 2016) I did 8000 Km and I had to check every week. Lost about 0.2 bar every week so you have to check many times. On my VFR1200F (Tubeless) have to check every month and most of the time the stay at there pressure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page