Thoughts on the best dual purpose front tyre? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wadeo

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Thoughts on the best dual purpose front tyre?

Now that we've had these Twins for awhile, I'm wondering what every ones collective thoughts are around the best dual sport front tyre.

I have a Mitas E07 and it has been fairly good, although it has a vague feeling on the road in the twisties and when it gets muddy, it struggles as it isn't a knobbie.

My thoughts are next time I'd consider the following rears - Mitas E07, Motoz Tractionator GPS or even a Shinko 805.

With the first two options, you will get heaps of miles out of the rear, the last option gives you more dirt performance, however reports say they are pretty good on the road too. All be it, they don't last as long.

With the aim to have dirt performance and grip on the tar, I know some say the TKC 80 is king. It is often mounted with other combos on the rear.

Has anyone else mixed up tyre combos and what are your thoughts?

Cheers

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!!!
Savas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Just read on another site where this combo is liked because they are both radial tyres.

"I am currently running the Anakee wild up front and the TKC70 on the rear."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:31 AM

TKC80 front with K60 scout rear. I like these but they are a little vibey on tarmac.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 AM

On my expereice, if you want good grip on dirt and confidence on pavement, anlas caprax is doing the job ( knobby ). The front last about 10.000 km. The rear between 5.000 and 7.000 km, depending on riding ( mainly on how much spinning you do on dirt ). I am on my 3rd set of caprax
They have lasted longer than karoo 3 and TKC 80.
If you want something road oriented but with good front grip on dirt, mix a front knobby with a rear like TKC 70. That rear will last about the same as the front. ( my experience with my previous motorcycle )
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:07 AM

I've got Pirelli Scorpion Rally on the front and Dunlop D908RR(140/80-18) on the rear. Good combo for both on and off-road. They have run 1,500km till now and are expected to last 5,000-6,000km.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomorfosis View Post
On my expereice, if you want good grip on dirt and confidence on pavement, anlas caprax is doing the job ( knobby ). The front last about 10.000 km. The rear between 5.000 and 7.000 km, depending on riding ( mainly on how much spinning you do on dirt ). I am on my 3rd set of caprax
They have lasted longer than karoo 3 and TKC 80.
If you want something road oriented but with good front grip on dirt, mix a front knobby with a rear like TKC 70. That rear will last about the same as the front. ( my experience with my previous motorcycle )
"Anlas Caprax????"

Never actually heard of these in Australia. Look like an interesting option. I'll investigate into these further.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:08 PM

I'm running continental TKC 70 front and rear have 2,500 hard miles 70 street 30 dirt still looking new love these tires.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

I have the Shinko 804, 805 combo. My Next set will be a D606 Dunlop front and a TKC80 rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page