Recommendation for tires? - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 25Likes

post #21 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry for the lateness in replies.
Thanks everyone for their recommendations!
I checked a few of those, I like the Mitas, but they don't have the size for the AT, well not legally for the German roads anyways...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Anyone tried Heidenau K60 Scout?
Opinions? Wet roads? On road? Off road?
post #23 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 05:49 AM

Hi,
I've just returned from Wales doing a 2 day off road course on the AT, all 16 of the brand new AT's had Karoo 3's fitted.The terrain we rode on was very very muddy and well rutted and steep in some places the tyres seemed to handle just about anything you threw at them and they felt good on the road too.....I'm fairly new too off roading but it's pretty amazing what a 1000cc adventure bike can do with the right tyres and some good tuition......
Big thanks to the guys at the Honda Adventure Centre in Wales

post #24 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I read reviews that they are now the longest lasting tyres.
What are they like on road?
post #25 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 07:57 AM

Karoo 3 are brilliant all-round tires. Had them on my Terra as well as the 1150GS. One front lasts 2 rears, or thereabouts.

Heidenau K60 are reasonably good for 3ooo k's and then horrible for as long as you can bear them!! The rear tyre particularly, square off and while there will be plenty of thread remaining, you spend every ride just wishing that the damned things were finished so that you could get your beloved bike back!
post #26 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozav8r View Post
Karoo 3 are brilliant all-round tires. Had them on my Terra as well as the 1150GS. One front lasts 2 rears, or thereabouts.

Heidenau K60 are reasonably good for 3ooo k's and then horrible for as long as you can bear them!! The rear tyre particularly, square off and while there will be plenty of thread remaining, you spend every ride just wishing that the damned things were finished so that you could get your beloved bike back!
Thx for the feed back.
How many km did you get out of the Karoo 3s rear?
I don't plan to go off road every time I'm out. But it's good to know I have tyres that are capable and ready to go. The OEM just doesn't cut it on wet roads or anything beyond gravel I feel.
post #27 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
How many km did you get out of the Karoo 3s rear?
About 4-5.000 k's on the GS before they were toast (had 2 sets) and have run the Terra for about 5.000 k's now, and reckon it'll do another 2 or 3 k's before it's had it time. Just traded in the Terra and picking up the AT in a couple of days. Have bought a Motoz Tractionator Adventure for the rear, but they are sold out on the 21' so will probably just stick with the OEM's while I run the bike in and put the Motoz's on next.

Cheers
post #28 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 09:49 AM

I had karoo 3,s on my old gs800 and found them very good, but will try and fit anakee wilds once my oem tyres need changing too see what they are like! But would be happy to go back to the karoos if no good.
post #29 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:26 PM

Garage
I was running a TKC80 front and K60 rear on my Tiger 800, but an am planning to try a set of Mitas E-07 Dakars on the AT, when I get it.
post #30 of 102 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:07 PM

Garage
I use now Mitas E-09 front and rear for more than 300 kms.
Good tires. 80% off-road oriented.

Rear

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

front

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
abj likes this.

Bonne route

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page