Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:20 AM

hi

just to share what i did ...

trimmed stock seat by abt 2 1/4 inch
sides also trimmed..
manually turned the suspension to low

by doing these, i'm almost flatfoot on the bike..

i'm 166 by the way..
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
i'm 166 by the way..

Great age. Makes me feel humble. I am only 65 !

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:15 AM

hahaha
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 07:24 PM

Hi all, as a new Forum member I thought I would join this thread. I have had the DCT AT since April this year, and wanted to lower it as I am only 5”8” with short legs, but when the AT first came out I could not find anyone who did a lowering kit. Now I have found three – (and I see in this thread a fourth, HyperPro in the Netherlands). Metisse in Germany do a very simple rear spring spacer that they say lowers the bike by 30mm so I purchased this but I reckoned it would only lower the whole bike about 20mm at most, so haven’t fitted it (I see that someone else has tried this and the lowering was only 15mm). Wilbers in Germany and their various agents throughout the world also now do complete replacement rear and front shocks for 30mm and 60mm lowering – probably very good but also very costly. In the end I used Krooztune here in Boronia, Victoria, Australia who fitted a new NC machined rear “dogbone” U link, modified front fork internals but same stock springs for equal lowering front and back, and a shorter side stand. The result is a lowering of 40mm overall with the high quality kit, which suits me perfectly, and does not compromise the ground clearance and lean angles too much. I don’t intend to do really serious offroading but do like to lean on open roads, so lean angle is more important to me than ground clearance and suspension travel.
I am a professional mechanical engineer so a bit anal about design, but for those who are interested in figures here are mine, based on fairly accurate measurements. This is based on the standard DCT AT with the default suspension settings, without any heavy accessories fitted, tank half full, myself as the 95kg rider sitting on the bike, and standard seat in the low position. The slightly rounded figures are mm and degrees before/after lowering. Seat height 840/800, ground clearance 220/180, static lean angle 50/45, front shocks stroke 230/195, rear wheel travel 220/210. If I fully wind up both front and rear springs to max pre-load then the bike height increases by 8mm, and oddly enough if I wind back both the preloads to zero then the bike lowers by 8mm also. The overall vertical bike stiffness is 3 kg/mm, so with a 95kg rider the bike lowers by 33mm. Since the mods done to my bike use the same stock springs, the above differences should be closely the same for the standard bike.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Hi Vaughan, Thanks for you summary of the options and description of your solution which sounds very good.

I have still not accurately measured my seat height but I think it may be nearer 20nn lower rather than 15 that I suggested, with the spring plate.

One thing I have noticed is that the lowest part of the seat (I have a low seat) is further back than it was on my CRF250L, with the CRF250L I got into the habit of sliding right to the front of the seat when I needed to put a foot down and I continued to do that on the CRF1000L however now I don't and it certainly helps me when I put my foot down.

How did you lower your side stand? I still haven't done mine but I need to as the bike is a bit too upright (although I have now fitted a centre stand). How much did you chop of the sidestand and was it easy to get it welded? I think its cast Aluminium so will need a decent TIG welder to weld it.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 03:57 AM

Hi whtco0, yes the standard side stand is made from high strength tempered aluminium so although not impossible cutting and welding up again would be very difficult and I would always be worried about the strength at the weld which would be considerably weaker than the parent metal unless post weld heat-treated and not many could do that correctly. For me Krooztune made a complete new one by NC machining from similar HS aluminium bar stock. They now include that shorter stand as part of the lowering kit. I understand they are doing two lowering kits about 30mm and 50mm so each with a different new side stand, for mine the stand is about 40mm shorter. At my suggestion they may be doing a conversion kit for the welded steel tube centre stand as well so the owner cuts the existing stand himself and Krooztune provide inside joiners and bolts which are inserted into the cut ends of the steel tubes. Not done yet - my bike is their donor bike. I now see it was you who tried that rear spring spacer - this seems to be the Metisse one even if sold by someone else. I have done a lot of work on the AT suspension geometry and I concluded that you would only get about 15mm reduction from that spacer, and then a further 5mm if you raise the front forks by 11mm in the steering head triple clamps as per the Metisse instructions - so a total of 20mm if you do both, but that was not going to be enough for me. Note that with the Honda centre stand fitted the real ground clearance is reduced by about 35mm from the figures quoted by Honda, but that is located closer to the back wheel. In Australia the bike was initially going to be sold without the centre stand but at the last minute for some apparent legal reason they decided to sell it with the centre stand - and that caused some delays for many here while they waited for the stands to arrive and fit them.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 07:03 AM

Garage
I have always maintained that lowering the suspension a good bike is almost like castrating a good dog. Neither are quite the same after it. This would particularly apply to a bike like the Africa Twin whose strongest point is its suspension.

Lowering the front also carries the risk of the fender hitting a crashbar under the headlamp on full compression under braking, or a severe hit, or both.

Personally I would go for the lowest possible seat, suspension on its lowest practical settings, Thicker soles on my boots etc etc.

At the end of the day the height is only an issue when one stops. The enjoyment of the bike is in the riding. My KTM 690 R was waaay to tall for me. When stopping I used to have to find kerbs or suitable slopes to help. Sometimes a couple of laps of petrol station forecourts were necessary before I found the correct spot. However the pleasure of using its suspension to the full in the dirt was well worth it.

Just some thoughts.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
Hi whtco0, yes the standard side stand is made from high strength tempered aluminium so although not impossible cutting and welding up again would be very difficult and I would always be worried about the strength at the weld which would be considerably weaker than the parent metal unless post weld heat-treated and not many could do that correctly. For me Krooztune made a complete new one by NC machining from similar HS aluminium bar stock. They now include that shorter stand as part of the lowering kit. I understand they are doing two lowering kits about 30mm and 50mm so each with a different new side stand, for mine the stand is about 40mm shorter. At my suggestion they may be doing a conversion kit for the welded steel tube centre stand as well so the owner cuts the existing stand himself and Krooztune provide inside joiners and bolts which are inserted into the cut ends of the steel tubes. Not done yet - my bike is their donor bike. I now see it was you who tried that rear spring spacer - this seems to be the Metisse one even if sold by someone else. I have done a lot of work on the AT suspension geometry and I concluded that you would only get about 15mm reduction from that spacer, and then a further 5mm if you raise the front forks by 11mm in the steering head triple clamps as per the Metisse instructions - so a total of 20mm if you do both, but that was not going to be enough for me. Note that with the Honda centre stand fitted the real ground clearance is reduced by about 35mm from the figures quoted by Honda, but that is located closer to the back wheel. In Australia the bike was initially going to be sold without the centre stand but at the last minute for some apparent legal reason they decided to sell it with the centre stand - and that caused some delays for many here while they waited for the stands to arrive and fit them.
Interesting would you be able to post a photo of your new side stand? I wonder if Krooztune will sell the shorter stands separately.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 03:17 AM

Here are a couple of photos of my shorter stand - excellent quality on par with the original and very solid. This was from Krooztune who now do a complete lowering kit for the AT that includes the shorter side stand and an insert for the centre stand that you cut yourself then get welded or could bolt it. Attached is a photo of my bike with the full lowering and stand mods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	7034   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	7042   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	7050  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page