Lowering - Whats possible - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Lowering - Whats possible

Although I am happy riding my AT with a low seat, after a few hundred miles I think another 25mm (1 inch) or so off the height would help me a lot.

I am 162cm (5ft 4in) and even with the low seat I am on tip toes, obviously this is not a problem when moving but when I stop I have to be very careful, especially with the current lack of decent crash bars.

I will happily live with it as it is but wondered if anyone has looked into lowering options?

The only thing I have found are these instructions:
http://www.whaccessories.com/PDF%20F...ica%20Twin.jpg

which are for the kit mentioned on their site:
http://www.whaccessories.com/Lowering-Kits-Honda.htm

However I don't really understand how this kit installed or how it works. They claim a reduction of 30mm which would be perfect for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 03:41 PM

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 06:47 PM

How comfortable is the low seat to ride on?

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninghram View Post
Don't know....but I've order one with my bike so I can get both feet on the ground. Was cheapish at AUD243.

I've just stepped off a Hyperstrada and it was high...I purchased the lower seat and only used it for a month till I was comphy with the bike...then went back to the normal seat. I'm thinking that the AT will be the same for me.

My understanding of the AT lower seat is that you get another 20 mm (maybe a little more)....to me this is a better option than lowering the suspension, which will alter handling and ground clearance. Sure it's only a small change but I purchased this bike to get off the tar.
daninghram likes this.

Last edited by AussieTwin; 03-29-2016 at 07:25 PM.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninghram View Post
Hard to say as I have not tried any others and I have not done any really long rides yet, for the rides I have done its fine. Its no less comfortable that any others I have tried on other bikes, but its not exactly an armchair either ;-)

I do also have a standard seat which I have not tried yet however I expect that to be to high for me to use.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Today I have lowered mine using a replacement spring plate, it was a bit of a pain to do as getting the shock/spring assembly out took longer that we thought and then we had to go and buy a motorcycle spring compressor as my car ones were too big.

After reassembly and only very rough measurement it looks as though my AT is about 15mm lower but sitting on it it feels a bit more than that.

I used this [URL="http://www.metisse.de/lowering-kit-honda-crf-1000-l-africa-twin.html"]http://www.metisse.de/lowering-kit-honda-crf-1000-l-africa-twin.html[/URL

Also installed my Garmin Zumo GPS ans connected it to the switched supply in the front of the fairing, again a bit of a pain as a lot of dis-assembly was required.

Last edited by wytco0; 05-07-2016 at 05:41 PM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 04:20 AM

I prefer the seat in the high position because of my bad knees but this puts me on my tip toes with my 30" inseam. I solve the problem by just having one foot on the ground, then I can get most of my foot down. Been doing this for years so it's second nature. Just takes practice.

2016 Tricolor DCT
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 02:52 PM

I'm actually very interested in what route you'll be going with this as well. I'm like 5'3" so you can imagine my struggles
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTrack View Post
I'm actually very interested in what route you'll be going with this as well. I'm like 5'3" so you can imagine my struggles
Yes I am about that as well, pretty happy with the bike now. It was OK with the low seat but the 15mm+ just removed is really useful when I am stopped especially if the ground is not flat. The seat height on mine is now just under 800mm which is the same as my earlier bikes.

The reason I wanted some extra lowering was that this bike is fairly heavy, no problem at anything above walking pace but I wanted to be sure of my footing when stopping especially after a couple of occasions where I ended up on a non flat bit of road and holding a lot of weight and then having to start off from an awkward position.

Obviously this sort of bike is always going to be more tricky for short people like me but I think I have now lowered mine sensibly without losing too much of its clearance. For me its now a better bike.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:39 AM

Nice so replacement spring plate it is then. And that's with stock seat as well correct ??

For some reason I didn't really consider clearance, but glad to hear that there's a sufficient amount, especially in awkward areas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page