Rear suspension replacement - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear suspension replacement

I have to replace my original rear suspension because I usually go to longer trips and need to load more weight then maximum allowed by Honda.
Help me to choose that you write me availables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 11:29 AM

The maximum weight is not just down to the rear suspension. You need to make sure the rear sub frame is strong enough. Start with a much heavier spring, the shock isn't bad. Remember its the spring that supports the weight of the bike not the damping.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:26 PM

I'm going this route:
http://hyperpro.com/hyperpro-for-hon...l-africa-twin/

The standard spring is too short, I only weigh 75 Kg and need 25 pre-load clicks to get 30% sag. That leaves 5 more clicks when I add a small pillion and 2 panniers.

It handles like a pig loaded. Honda recommend 2.0 bar front tyre pressure, it runs wide in mountain turns, enough for my pillion to notice. KTM recommend for their 990 Adventure, 2.4 bar, probably a safer pressure for the road. I ended up increasing the rear pressure to 3 bar otherwise it got very scary on Spanish motorway curves as the tyre ended up steering the bike as it followed imperfections in the surface.

Still a nice bike though.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:11 PM

Garage
I believe replacing the spring on the OEM shock will be a waste of money. I have my suspicions of the OEM shock in its current state. The recommended standard spring preload setting is 7 clicks from minimum. I am 75kg and already I have the preload at 27 clicks from minimum to get a balanced setting with very little extra weight on the bike. The rebound damping setting is recommended at 11 clicks from Maximum. I am already at 8 clicks from Max and setting the rebound at max makes little difference. As such putting on a stronger spring would probably overcome the rebound damping at max setting.

There are two options, either replace the shock fluid with a heavier oil, or replace the shock as a unit. I have a Wilbers shock on my Triumph and imho it is a superior item to the oem Honda unit. It is managing the ride on a much heavier bike and has lots of spare adjustment to use. I will get by for now with my oem but I suspect that I will have to do something about it in the not too distant future.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:11 PM

Does anyone know What are the factory settings on the front forks ? I was messing with it and made it feel rough , but don't remember the original settings .
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Frosty View Post
Does anyone know What are the factory settings on the front forks ? I was messing with it and made it feel rough , but don't remember the original settings .
Owner' manual pg 121: Spring preload - 5 turns from soft (DCT 8.5 turns) / Rebound - 2 1/4 turns from max / Compression damping (bottom of fork) - 8 clicks from max.
Mad Frosty likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 05:35 PM

Alex with Konflict MotorSports just got his AT and will be diving into his own suspension for upgrades. Here is his link. I have used him and he is awesome. He has recently build suspensions for a couple Dakar Rally riders from the states. This bike is his cup of tea. You want better ride, then think about him.

http://www.konflictmotorsports.com/

He is in Kent, WA. He works hand in hand with TouraTec suspensions for GS's, and Super Teneres'. I will have him do my front forks first to suit my riding and weight. YES it makes a huge difference.

Regards,

Jeff
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 05:13 AM

Garage
I see on the ADV forum that Wilbers have a 641 for the AT. That is the route I will take in due course as I have one on my Triumph and it is an excellent shock.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:58 AM

Garage
I like the manaul adjustment on the AT suspension and generally don't have a problem with it. I am at 38% sag at the rear with 125kg load at max preload though. To me this is too soft, even for normal weight riders with gear (mentioned elsewhere on this forum). I thought it would be useful to chart the rear sag settings Vs preload. This might give others, at a more normal weight (!), plus panniers/racks/luggage/tent etc. a view of what their sag might look like. e.g. 75Kg rider and 50Kg pillion/luggage.

I have a HyperPro spring coming today, it should just raise me 20mm across the board and allow me to reach 30% sag on a preload of 35 clicks. I can't fit it for a couple of weeks but I have no doubt as to their claim on the extra 20mm. When further loaded or with pillion I will just have to work on a higher sag % front and back, that is not a disaster in itself unless I am riding aggresively off-road (which I don't). At least the Hyperpro will balance the front and back somewhat which is the main goal.

I initially considered the Touratech +20mm kit which is front and back springs but I never had a problem achieving 30% sag at the front. That kit uses the exact same Hyperpro rear spring so it was a no brainer to just swap the rear spring at a very much lower cost than the whole kit. Rugged Roads obliged in this respect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Africa Twin Rear Shock Sag OEM Spring.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	16578  
nurber3 likes this.

Last edited by eltel62; 02-08-2017 at 12:26 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 AM

Garage
Updated rear sag table for 125Kg load with Hyperpro +20mm spring. Repeated on another post, (Removing the Rear Shock), sorry for duplication.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Africa Twinsagtable2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	18994  
nurber3 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page