Best Dual Purpose Tire ? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Best Dual Purpose Tire ?

Hi

Any useful feedback / experience on acceptable dual purpose tires ?

The IRC GP stock tires on my 250L were a great compromise of on / off road performance. Of course it will always be a compromise but the stock AT Dunlops are too much road biased.

TCK 80's or ..........

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 02:57 AM

CRF_Simon,

take it you managed to find an Africa Twin then?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

I have a confirmed order for delivery but will ask dealer to change OEM tires

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 03:24 PM

Ummm......good luck with "best" when talking tires, oil, and gas....It's a passionate topic. Anyways, all depends on what you want. What do you mean when you say "Best"? Are you talking grip, traction in corners, over hard packed, sand, long milage, don't hum while at 70mph.....you catching my drift?

Tires I like (I'm NOT a pro) are K-60's, MotoZ, TKC80's. I would even use a combination of these depending on what I think I'll be riding. My personal view is I prefer a balance of milage vs traction. Personally I hate changing tires every 3000miles even if they are considered "the best". A TKC80 front and K-60 rear is what I've used on other big bikes and it's been great.....for me. Others will disagree and thats fine. I think its a personal choice and one you might have to explore yourself.

Not sure how the AT will use tires as some bikes just chew tires up while others seem to be a bit easier on them. Good luck with your choice.

Don't threaten me with a good time!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

The stock tires on the 250L perform well on road and dirt. The stock Dunlops on the AT are clearly road biased. Just putting feelers out for anyone that's found a good compromise. Just want to leave road hit the dirt and back onto road. Probably will try TCK 80's first. Anybody tried TCK 70's?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 12:04 AM

TKC 80's are really the benchmark when it comes to performance off road. Unfortunately, they wear INCREDIBLY quickly if you spend any real time on pavement (ya know, like, touring, or whatever! ). I've heard good things about Heidenau regarding decent dirt performance and about twice the tread life of the Conti's. Definitely waiting to see what the jury has to say about the new Michelin Anakee Wild. Thus far, the off road performance is on the TKC 80 par (according to reviews), and Michelin has stated they were after that level of performance but with a goal of up to triple the Conti's tread life. If they've actually pulled that off, those will be my choice.

"Not all who wander are lost." -- J.R.R. Tolkein

Last edited by Wildcat92; 05-31-2016 at 12:07 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 08:14 AM

even though TKC 80's are crap on tarmac compared to Karoo 3's etc, they dont wear as quick as people seem to be saying.
I did 6000 miles on mine on a 1150GS in africa and spain (tarmac miles mainly) and they lasted every inch of that distance with a fully loaded bike in high temps.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 09:06 AM

Karoo 3

The Metzler Karoo 3 gets my vote. I did a couple of thousand miles on the stock Dunlops but wanted something a bit more off road capable. I went on the 2 day off road riding course at The Honda Adventure Centre in Wales, all the Africa Twins are equipped with Karoo 3s, we spent 2 days in mud, rocks, ditches up and down hill as well as roughly 30 miles on road. The Karoo 3s performed much better than I'd expected so I've now got them on my bike. Obviously you need to be careful in the wet but I've found they are a good match particularly when you factor in the excellent Honda traction control.
I'm off down to the Alps in 2 weeks and plan to take in plenty of off road tracks (Assietta etc). I think as a 50/50 tyre they are as good as you'll get for the Africa Twin.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:01 PM

Garage
I am going to consider Pirelli MT90's. I had them on my KTM Adventure. They were good on the road wet or dry and their performance on that bike offroad was adequate.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:42 PM

How about Mitas E07 . heard good things about them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page