Spokes Update - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Spokes Update

Thank you for your recent contact to our offices regarding your Honda Africa Twin. Firstly, I would like to apologise for the delay in replying to you. I can see that your case was passed to my colleague Richard McGivern but that he has not contacted you since 14 June and I can only apologise for this.

I am sorry to hear of the issue that you have experienced with the spokes on your wheels and that they have shown signs of corrosion. From speaking to Xxxxxxx in the service team at Hunts Motorcycles, who I believe you have also been speaking to, has advised that the matter has currently been pased to our factory and that the matter is under investigation. Please be assured that once we receive a reply/counter-measure for this, all dealers will be contacted to make them aware of the outcome so that any customer who has experienced an issue can be contacted directly.

We value all of the feedback that we receive into our offices as information of this type is used to improve the range of products and services that we provide to our customers and I am sorry that on this occasion your personal expectations have not been met.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to you.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for bringing this matter to our attention.

Kind Regards,
Sarah

Customer Relations
Customer & Aftersales
Honda (UK)

Telephone: 0845 200 8000
Mad Frosty likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:24 PM

So nothing yet .
rider_marc and JasonWD like this.

County Durham cowboy .
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:06 AM

Last Friday, I was discussing with a dealer the possibility of Honda introducing a tubeless rim option and was informed Honda has recognised they have problems with spoke corrosion and in fact he showed me a new bike in the showroom that was already exhibiting this problem on the leading edge of several spokes on the front wheel...

I'm thinking Honda potentially have a big problem on their hands with this issue.

Last edited by Biker Mike; 08-03-2016 at 02:10 AM.

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Mike View Post
Last Friday, I was discussing with a dealer the possibility of Honda introducing a tubeless rim option and was informed Honda has recognised they have problems with spoke corrosion and in fact he showed me a new bike in the showroom that was already exhibiting this problem on the leading edge of several spokes on the front wheel...

I'm thinking Honda potentially have a big problem on their hands with this issue.

They know they have a big problem Mike, It's been a problem for 5 months, some customers have had a replacement, but like for like, that doesn't solve the problem though, I've been told they're working on a long term solution, so I'll wait for that, whatever it is,
My spokes showed corrosion in the first week, and just got blacker, after more than 6,000 miles theyre no worse now than the first month of ownership,
There's no rust it's just the zinc plating thats rubbish,
Mad Frosty likes this.

Adventure before Dementia,
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:18 AM

After searching on corrosion and getting nothing, then finding this thread and posting here, I subsequently found another thread detailing several experiences with bad spokes under the topic 'heated grips'.
All a bit confusing, but no doubt I'll get used to it in time.
lol
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:42 AM

The wheels on mine were changed under warranty at the first service. The new ones do seem ok though as I have put on another 1500 miles in the last month of so ... much of which was in wet weather. Fingers crossed .............. I have not cleaned it obsessively either!
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 03:04 PM

My dealer thinks that there is stainless steel solution in the works from honda as the problem is widely spread . I would take this information with a grain of salt .

County Durham cowboy .
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 03:28 PM
abj

My dealer (Belgium) also told me Honda is looking for stainless steel solution! No idea what I should believe of it but he told me I will definitely get new spokes!
williegunn likes this.
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:10 AM

I have previously posted elsewhere on this topic. My dealer has been informed and has asked me to come back in a little while, he has taken images for the record. I think there is a general acceptance at Honda that they have a major problem, it appears they are seeking a solution which will then sent out to dealers. I sincerely hope they agree to replace with appropriate grade and size of ss and that will be the end of it.

Mike
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:46 PM

Honda uk guy. Richard McGivern seems too not phone anybody back.
It's the worst customer service I have ever had to deal with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page