SWEGOTECH Forkshield deflector -- reduce helmet vibrations !!! - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 41Likes

post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Arrow SWEGOTECH Forkshield deflector -- reduce helmet vibrations !!!

Hello my friends,
with my new Africa Twin I nearly bought the perfect bike, something I was dreaming of for a long time .

Sadly on my first ride on the interstate, I suffered from a problem many of you already knew about. The helmet vibration problems on my Adventure/Dual Sport helmet were driving me crazy. My vison got so blurry at higher speed, that I had problems to read street signs and even got a headache and neck pain after a while. I first tried some different helmets and a bigger windshield, but this wasn't the solution I was looking for.

The more I researched this topic in the internet, the more I realized, that many of you have similar problems. And there was no real solution to fix this available on the market - to stop the updraft coming from the fork tunnel which is the reason for these annoying helmet vibrations.

I heard stories of creative people trying to fix this with plumber foam pieces, rubber mats and other things into the fork tunnel. As much as I love to be creative, but MacGyver-like sticking an old sock with a bubble gum into the fork tunnel wasn't my preferred solution for a $15,000 motorcycle Also I wanted the best possible result without any danger of blocking the steering when doing sharp turns riding offroad.

Luckily I've gained a lot of experience in my life in designing and developing products. Just for myself I wanted a functional solution to fix my Africa Twin helmet vibration problem. One of my companies is operating a very nice CNC-Laser for a few years now. And I used it to build a prototype for me. I showed the prototype to my friend and fellow Africa Twin owner and he loved it so much, that he also wanted one for his bike. Only then I thought about producing the perfect solution also for other riders with the same helmet vibration problems.

Building something for yourself is quite different than offering a finished product for sale. So, I spent much more time and money in developing the perfect, good looking and affordabe "Forkshield" then. After in total about 30 different prototypes and a lot of testing, I finally found the most optimized solution in every aspect

I filmed the following video that quickly explains & demonstrates the effect of the Swegotech Forkshield updraft deflector on an Africa Twin CRF1000L:

Here you can read more about the product:
http://www.swegotech.com/Forkshield-...ibrations.html

For me it is a night and day difference to ride my Africa Twin with my new SWEGOTECH FORKSHIELD updraft deflector and I am sure you will be as happy with it as I am

Swen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-stop-helmet-vibration-windshield-010.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	14114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-stop-helmet-vibration-windshield-008.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	14122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-stop-helmet-vibration-windshield-006.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	14130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-stop-helmet-vibration-windshield-004.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	14138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-stop-helmet-vibration-windshield-003.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	14146  

Name:	Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-stop-helmet-vibration-windshield-001.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	14154  
Mcridr and TypeJ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

This is how the SWEGOTECH Forkshield looks on a silver DCT version
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-stop-helmet-vibration-windshield-017.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	14210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-stop-helmet-vibration-windshield-015.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	14218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-stop-helmet-vibration-windshield-014.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	14226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-stop-helmet-vibration-windshield-012.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	14234  
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 02:02 AM

Garage
Interesting. For international owners it will be 70$. Too expensive.

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erey View Post
Interesting. For international owners it will be 70$. Too expensive.
I really tried my best to reduce the shipping costs as much as possible, but just for the tracking of the package I have to pay additional $14 (plus the regular shipping cost). If we ship without tracking and the package is lost the customers will always blame us. This is the reason why I don't think it is a good idea to send it without tracking. All other shipping options I found were even more expensive ($60-$90 just for the shipping).

You can check if Ebay can give you a cheaper shipping rate to your location. They calculate the shipping costs by themself and we just print out their shipping lable for the package (and they also have tracking included):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forkshield-u...p=mtr#shpCntId

If you have an other idea how to ship the item to you, please let us know.

EDIT: I checked with Ebay and for some countries like Germany for example it is a bit cheaper if you order on Ebay ($20 shipping).... the shipping costs to most other countries are $27-$29, so the same what we have on our website.

Last edited by Swen; 01-14-2017 at 02:49 AM.
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:01 AM

It looks a neat idea Swen, nice job,
I bought a Schuberth E1 Adventure helmet a few months ago, this is the one with the peak, I tried with 3 different screens to stop the vibration of the peak , and nothing worked, so Ive been using it without the peak,
Just wondering if your device will still work with my Micro tank bag in place,

Adventure before Dementia,
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:17 AM

Should have watched the video first But that's exactly what my helmet peak was doing , it was vibrating so much at 45 mph I was getting double vision through my Spectacles , I had to stop and remove the peak,
It's a good price, but with the postage it makes it too expensive in the UK etc, Thats a shame

Adventure before Dementia,
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisto View Post
It looks a neat idea Swen, nice job,
I bought a Schuberth E1 Adventure helmet a few months ago, this is the one with the peak, I tried with 3 different screens to stop the vibration of the peak , and nothing worked, so Ive been using it without the peak,
Just wondering if your device will still work with my Micro tank bag in place,
Thank you Elvisto !!!
I tested the Forkshield also with the Schuberth E1 (see video on the Autobahn). From all the helmets I tried the E1 has by far the weakest peak. At speeds up to around 80mph (130Km/h) the Forkshield will reduce the peak vibrations on the E1 helmet. When you ride faster than that the turbulences, caused by the front windshield are getting stronger than the wind from the fork tunnel. At this point the E1 peak starts to vibrate a bit more again. During our product testing I drove the Africa Twin at Top Speed for more than an hour with the Schuberth E1 helmet. At this speed you simply can't expect Goldwing Comfort on the Africa Twin, but I am sure that at normal travel speeds you would enjoy the improvements a lot.

As long as the Tank bag will still fit onto the bike I don't see any problem here. I have the Givi xs320 tankbad and have no problems to use it in combination with the Forkshield.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisto View Post
Should have watched the video first But that's exactly what my helmet peak was doing , it was vibrating so much at 45 mph I was getting double vision through my Spectacles , I had to stop and remove the peak,
It's a good price, but with the postage it makes it too expensive in the UK etc, Thats a shame
You were faster than my answer
Yes I also got this double vision, this was the reason why I started to design the Forkshield.

Well, I am so sorry about the shipping but for such a big part (it doesn't fit into a standart flatrate envelop) there is not much I can do.
And I think to ship it without tracking screams trouble in the long run. Packages will get lost, customer complains at PayPal about us. We on the other side can't check if the customer got the package or not.... all this drama to safe $14. Not sure if this would be a good idea.
True Ad Venture likes this.

Last edited by Swen; 01-14-2017 at 06:58 AM.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 07:06 AM

Tracking is a joke in my opinion, several items I have ordered and tracked have arrived whilst the tracking details stated it was in transit, long after the arrival date.
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:09 AM

Garage
Thumbs up

Swen.....great idea but as others have said it needs a UK supplier to reduce the delivery costs.

Elvisto.....i ride with a Schuberth e1 and had same problem. I fitted a touratech bar bag, had one lying around, and this has totally cured the peak vibrations at all speeds.

Adrian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page