Center stand "trick"? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Question Center stand "trick"?

I'm 5'9" and weigh about 160 lbs, and I find it more difficult than expected to get the AT up on its (OEM) center stand. Sometimes I can do it easily and sometimes I simply can't. It may be down to a slight difference in surface angle but if so I haven't been able to determine what that difference is.

My move sequence is to stand on the left of the bike, put my left hand on the left bar and my right foot on the stand footrest, then push off and turn my body left as I shift my weight onto the footrest.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to better leverage my body weight or whatever, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:08 AM

The one piece I don't see you mention is what do you do with your right hand/arm? The key IMO, is to get momentum going. You do it one quick "explosive" move...

I stand on the left side of my bike facing the bike. Left hand on handlebar to steady it, and right hand on the passenger peg extension used for mounting the OEM panniers.
I put my right foot on the centerstand foot rest. I push the centerstand down till it makes contact with the ground. Then when I'm ready, in a quick motion and with authority, I push down with my right leg on the footrest (using my weight too) while lifting with my right hand/arm on the passenger peg, with a slight motion to the rear.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
The one piece I don't see you mention is what do you do with your right hand/arm? The key IMO, is to get momentum going. You do it one quick "explosive" move...

I stand on the left side of my bike facing the bike. Left hand on handlebar to steady it, and right hand on the passenger peg extension used for mounting the OEM panniers.
I put my right foot on the centerstand foot rest. I push the centerstand down till it makes contact with the ground. Then when I'm ready, in a quick motion and with authority, I push down with my right leg on the footrest (using my weight too) while lifting with my right hand/arm on the passenger peg, with a slight motion to the rear.
Absolutely correct. The key is to lift with your right arm while pushing down with your foot. Actively think about creating distance between your right arm and right foot as you lift and separate. (reminds me of a bra commercial)

I am also 5'6" and 160 and can put the bike on its center stand with relative ease.

Rob
eltel62, SurfsUp and AdvArt like this.

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Interesting. So I put my right hand goes on the pillion grab handle, because I have the OEM panniers in place. I think that means that my hand is farther back than the optimal leverage (as described by you guys) would require.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoPumps View Post
Actively think about creating distance between your right arm and right foot as you lift and separate.
I like that way of thinking about it and will give that a try.

Thanks!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablock View Post
Interesting. So I put my right hand goes on the pillion grab handle, because I have the OEM panniers in place. I think that means that my hand is farther back than the optimal leverage (as described by you guys) would require.

I like that way of thinking about it and will give that a try.

Thanks!
Try grabbing the frame rail in front of the pannier or even the upper part of passenger footpeg hanger. It can help getting a lower grip as you lift.

eltel62, AdvArt and ablock like this.

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM

I think I have discovered the answer folks, and it's simple.
I could never understand people on the NC 750 forum having difficulty raising that bike which is a bit lighter and certainly smaller. But when I switched to the Africa Twin I was straining so much I pulled a muscle in my back Others on here were doing it with apparently little effort.
Then one day it popped on just like the NC750 used to and I realised that I had been trying to do it previously with the handlebars turned. If I straighten them up before pulling up it's almost as easy as the NC750 was. (I think the larger bike had been making me nervous about dropping it away from me so it seemed safer to turn the handlebars so the left grip was nearer to me - but of course the bike was in a 3 point locked position - two stand feet and the contact point of the tyre).
I don't think I have seen this mentioned (getting the front wheel straight) on either forum - probably because it's so obvious - doh.
And yes I use the left side pannier prong to lift with. It's just at the right height for me and I'd rather take the pannier off to put it on the centre stand if I have to.
Mike
AdvArt and ablock like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:16 PM

Garage
Cool

Yes to all points mentioned above. This is my first bike with a center stand. I struggle a bit too, and I'm 6'0" and 180 lbs - should be easy. It doesn't help that I also worry about dropping it on the right side while lifting it, because there's nothing to catch it if it starts to go over.

I learned the hard way that the weight of full panniers of tools/camping gear/clothes and food, make it way harder than it needs to be. Also, the panniers just get in the way. Although mentioned, I think the surface is an overlooked point. If there is even the slightest downhill and especially if there is a raised area under the stand, it will be exponentially more difficult. #physics
ablock likes this.

-motofabio
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:20 AM

With the Honda panniers on the bike, I lift with the right hand holding the pannier handle, my left hand on the handle bar and standing with my right foot on the center Stand. It is a bit more difficult with the panniers on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:54 AM

Garage
Handlebars straight yes, your left hand does very little, is is all in the right boot/hand positioned as all the guys mention above. Right hand on pillion footpeg bracket, the pannier handle is too high with little leverage.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltel62 View Post
Handlebars straight yes, your left hand does very little, is is all in the right boot/hand positioned as all the guys mention above. Right hand on pillion footpeg bracket, the pannier handle is too high with little leverage.
I guess it depends on your body proportions - the pannier prong seems perfectly placed for me
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page