Honda Panniers Don't Come with Locks - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Honda Panniers Don't Come with Locks

Just read that the Honda panniers do not include locks, they must be ordered separately and the dealer will set them up to work with your ignition key...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:10 PM

Aftermarket ones it is. I thought locks came standard on panniers.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 03:42 AM
D_H

I was rather unimpressed with the OEM Honda panniers when I saw them at Motorcycle Live, they seemed pretty flimsy, particularly in how the sides and lid flexed. Has anyone who's handled them elsewhere confirm/dispute this?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Honda sells the locks separately so they can be keyed to the ignition. The bags look fine for the 80% who don't travel around the world, and mount on the nicely integrated mounts. I do wish they styled them to be sleeker and tighter to the bike like the VFR, or FJR1300 bags for example. I don't know why they have to be giant boxes. Makes it wider to lane split here in CA.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 12:49 PM

I agree - I think adventure bike panniers in general look like giant boxes. The sport touring or even adventure sport (whatever the Multistrada category is called these days) all seem to do the OEM panniers a lot better.

The Honda ones really do feel a bit naff though - especially the top-box. They had the Hepco and Becker ones on the Honda stand at the NEC too and they were a lot more substantial feeling IMHO (although sadly they stuck out even further!)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:10 AM

meh. I think many are starting to lean towards the soft route regardless...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:39 AM

Yes, from the other thread on hard or soft luggage I must say the Mosko Moto bags look excellent.

Tricky choice.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 11:40 AM

Locks aren't really needed, just carry everything important in a smaller and portable bag. Soft bags seem to be the better choice right now.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:11 PM

I took a CRF out yesterday which was fitted with the Honda panniers and top boxes. All had locks, but I didn't open them - they don't interest me. Wouldn't surprise me that Honda charge extra for them

A couple of observations:

The bike had zero miles before I got on it, but it looked as if the panniers had been marked even during fitting. The aluminium seems to be stuck on, there's no rigidity to them. The top box aesthetically is a dog. Total afterthought

On the positive side, the panniers are neat - in that they are very close to the bike and are nowhere near as wide as the mirrors / bar ends - so no difference when filtering. The mounting system is very neat requiring no additional scaffolding / rack
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:22 AM

I'd be curious to hear from someone who has actually picked up the bike with the panniers if they would be able to survive a tip over or low speed get-off. It's hard to tell from the photos, and they didn't have them on the bike at the motorcycle show here in Calgary. Are the thicknesses of the plastics thicker than their regular street bike/sport touring panniers?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page