Crash Bars - Anyone got any (not Honda ones) - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 179Likes

post #21 of 472 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 02:53 AM

I ordered the TT bars for DCT.
On my S10 the TT-bars did their job well.
You can't expect the bars to protect your bike in any accident.
But it wil protect your engine and plastics when it falls over or when you make a slide at 50kmh. If they are fixed to strongly, they wil harm more than protect I think.
superfunkomatic likes this.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move."
R.L. Stevenson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 472 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 05:02 AM

An "Adventure Bike" is likely to go down more than once on a longer trip (not necessarily RTW). It would be nice to know that when this happens, all you need to do is put it back on two wheels and continue your journey, rather than call road assistance.

My KTM 990 was like this

Should I be missing my KTM

Let's hope that at some point somebody will come up with proper engine and bodywork protection. This bike is "hot" so third party accessory manufacturers also want a slice of the cake (people are assessing strength / quality on the basis of photographs and ordering on-line). Once owners start using the bike as designated (also off road) they will know what is needed and the market (probably niche players) will respond. So I hope
tjjj2006 likes this.

Resigned from purchase in 2016.
post #23 of 472 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:01 AM

Does anyone know how much AT panels and such like cost? I haven't found any links yet although I believe there are some around...

post #24 of 472 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yromulus View Post
Does anyone know how much AT panels and such like cost? I haven't found any links yet although I believe there are some around...
Did you check this site?
post #25 of 472 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:06 AM

Thanks @Juha - that is very enlightening!

I remember, back in the very distant past, that some mag or paper ran an article that said it would cost 3 - 4 times the price of the original bike if you built it from official spares. Seems things haven't changed much. Sadly.
post #26 of 472 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha View Post
Did you check this site?
Crikey, 1700 for two wheels !
I was thinking of sourcing a spare set to have with off road tyres (and in gold), but that blows that idea
post #27 of 472 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 11:55 AM

Interesting that SW Motech now has 'engineering in progress' on Crash Bars for the AT. Completely different design again that doesn't even go up to the plastics. I guess you pick what you think will work and hope for the best or wait until someone drops their bike to tell you if they worked.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #28 of 472 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 05:31 PM

Now those look really nice! I guess, as you say, the concern would be whether they offer enough coverage to protect the fairing. But on looks alone, these would be my favorites so far! Looking at the install instructions, plenty of mounting points too
post #29 of 472 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 02:12 AM

I like the bash plate better then Honda's
superfunkomatic likes this.

Resigned from purchase in 2016.
post #30 of 472 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 03:36 AM

Had a close look at the 'accessory frame' on a show AT at my Honda dealer (15 minutes on the bicycle from my house). Honda clearly does not mention it a crash bar, but a frame for installing accessories.
The steel tubes may be strong enough, but the mounting to the bike is very flimsy. With moderate force by hand you can push the frame towards the tank. Useless for protection.

The SW-Motech looks better in my opinion, but I think crash protection by any crash bar will be very little. It is more for the looks and for the mounting of accessories of course.
marekm likes this.

rgds, Fred
(CRF1000LAD, CRF Rally Red, Zumo390)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page