Crash Bars - Anyone got any (not Honda ones) - Page 37 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 162Likes

post #361 of 409 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I like the Rumbux because they look like that can do the business. I have also come across the Rockfox bars.

It looks like a either of them will provide adequate protection. I just don't know anyone with experience with the Rockfox.

I am dropping Rockfox a line to enquire if the engine bars will fit with the OEM Honda uppers. Nice looking products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 409 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytco0 View Post
My bike is DCT but Rumbux stuff works on DCT or manual.

Should be some photos here, not great as taken in garage If anyone is interested I can post more later

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think I will drop Rumbux a line to enquire about this product because that lower bar/plate looks like it will protect the Alternator cover in a drop. However I need to know if they will sell the bashplate ensemble separately. Any chance of a closer pic on that side using a flash ? Thanks
post #363 of 409 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:20 AM

When I bought my DCT bike my plan was not to add crash protection. As if it's not heavy enough already. The 1st page of this thread changed my mind. Taking a good look at the bike and how vulnerable the radiators are helped change my mind too.

I'm leaning toward the SW Motech. It affordable, I expect it to be sufficient, and I think their stuff is well made. The other one I'm thinking about is Outback Motortek. Maybe more protective of DCT area? Heavier?

How do either of these interfere with maintenance tasks? Is there another one I should consider that's not too expensive or heavy?

post #364 of 409 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 04:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
When I bought my DCT bike my plan was not to add crash protection. As if it's not heavy enough already. The 1st page of this thread changed my mind. Taking a good look at the bike and how vulnerable the radiators are helped change my mind too.

I'm leaning toward the SW Motech. It affordable, I expect it to be sufficient, and I think their stuff is well made. The other one I'm thinking about is Outback Motortek. Maybe more protective of DCT area? Heavier?

How do either of these interfere with maintenance tasks? Is there another one I should consider that's not too expensive or heavy?
Actually the SW-Motech is heavier than Outback Motortek. I've asked the weight's of different crashbars:

- 7,2 kg ("middle") - 169 eur

- 5,5 kg ("middle") - 210 eur

Both SW-Motech and Outback Motortek crashbars does not to be removed when uninstalling fairings.

- 4,6+4,7 kg (upper + lower) - 199+119 eur<

(aluminium) - 3,9 kg (upper + lower) - 239 eur

- 3,6+1,4 kg + mounting kit (upper + lower) - 169+85 eur

The weight of
, Honda,
and
crashbars I could'nt find.

I quess all those upper crashbars need to be removed when uninstalling fairings, at least partially.

I think I'm going to Outback Motortek's since they seems to have good weight/protect -ratio, maybe with SW Motech bash plate.

In my mind
uses the right term of Honda crasbars, "Dekorrahmen" also decoration. Same can be said about the Boano's aluminium ones.
davidji likes this.

Last edited by -mek-; 11-16-2016 at 04:24 AM.
post #365 of 409 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:00 PM

The touratech bars are mounted to brackets on the frame.
You can actually take them of within a few minutes with two hex keys.

Also, If you buy the upper and lower once both, than you have 2 brackets as spares.
post #366 of 409 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:54 PM

just reading through this thread to get some ideas for what bars to buy. I had decided on the alt riders but they are taking an age, now I've gone for the sw motechs. FWIW the bikes at the Honda Centre in Wales have the standard Honda bars and they get crashed a lot. I mean, a lot, far more than any sane owner would ever manage. They hold up really well and protect the bikes brilliantly. They've only had one crank case holed and that was a direct hit from a rock which nothing other than full armour would stop. So, based on that, I'd say all the bars I've seen here would do the job as most seem better built than the Honda ones. The one item that proved to be rubbish was the standard hand guards, every bike had them held on with zip ties. Good business for BarkBusters et al.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
abj likes this.
post #367 of 409 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:57 PM

I've had my Outback Mortotek bars for a while now and am very happy. I like the size and the look. No real spills yet so no crash test results
Here are a couple videos:

The install wasn't too bad and the package came with Skittles. Oh man that made me smile

I didn't tighten a couple bolts tight enough and they vibrated loose and fell off. Couldn't find matching bolts at the hardware store and had a wrong order from Amazon so decided to contact the company directly. Lorry, the owner, was very quick to respond and kindly sent replacement bolts free of charge. Very happy with the purchase.
post #368 of 409 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:45 AM

Hi,

I eventually fitted the Rockfox crashbars. I must say, it went better than expected. I only had a bit of a problem getting one of the bolts behind the exhaust headers loose.

Attached are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1745.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	10962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1746.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	10970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1748.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	10978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	10986  

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
post #369 of 409 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 11:22 AM

I fitted the SW Motech bars today. 2 hours, pretty straightforward other then the usual 'every nut, bolt and Allen key being different sizes'. You need to drill out a 18mm hole in one of the plastic guards, easy if you have a cone or step drill bit. Liberal use of thread lock, and a dab of grease on the long connecting rod, beyond that it's all in the box and the instructions are clear. I like the look of the bars and will post some photos later. Seem very sturdy although I'm hoping I don't get to test them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wadeo likes this.
post #370 of 409 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:09 AM

Hi Leo / Kingleoj2, in your video you're saying it wasn't as easy as you thought it was going to be. What happened? Just a lot of work or mal fitting or anything ? Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page