Potentially (probably) daft question regarding lower seat position - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Potentially (probably) daft question regarding lower seat position

I thought I would experiment with putting the seat in the lower position. This is allegedly easy.

So, 10 minutes later I've given up trying. I can't for the life of me get it to go into the lower position.

And before anyone says RTM (or RTFM) I have already done so. Which probably makes me appear even more of a numpty!

Anyone got any tips before I give in (again)? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 07:36 AM

Not near the bike right now to check bit i done it previously (before going off road) and as far as i remember it was a bit of a fiddle placing the seat in to the lower position, hooking it in to the lower mounts at the tank but took about 5 minutes in all.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 09:21 AM
SKY

Garage
For me the trick was to push the seat back under the passenger seat and the attach it to the tank
Dibbs likes this.

"Life is short and the world is wide"

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 10:09 AM

Dealer showed me same trick as Sky mentioned. First push the seat under the passenger seat then click into the lower position near the tank.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 01:04 PM

I gave up as well and took it to the dealer. Took him 30 seconds. Must be a knack. I'm actually thinking about getting the seat foam lowered as I prefer the look of the bike with the seat in the normal position. 2 cm lower would be perfect for me.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 01:43 PM

Yromulus, I agree with the others regarding the method: but it is still a very fiddly and time consuming operation, with lots of failed attempts on the way. After my first servicing the garage refitted the seat at normal height, so I guess even the professionals have trouble with it. Given that they also fitted the panniers etc and my driveway is on a steep slope I was in a potentially dangerous situation when I tried to get off - not amused! My seat is on the low setting again and I will be in no rush to take it off in the future. It doesn't look as good on the low setting, but it makes everything a lot more practical.

Chris
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yromulus View Post
I thought I would experiment with putting the seat in the lower position. This is allegedly easy.

So, 10 minutes later I've given up trying. I can't for the life of me get it to go into the lower position.

And before anyone says RTM (or RTFM) I have already done so. Which probably makes me appear even more of a numpty!

Anyone got any tips before I give in (again)? Thanks.

I wouldnt feel to bad, i can do it in minutes or struggle for ages, not got a technique worked out yet that is consistent.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:07 PM

Removing the tools from under the seat helps too , as i have discovered when i have tried to lower the seat for my verticaly challenged friend .
williegunn likes this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys - thought I was ready to trade for a Zimmer after 10 minutes of no joy. I'll have another bash at it tomorrow.

If I still can't do it I'll buy the lower seat!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yromulus View Post
Thanks guys - thought I was ready to trade for a Zimmer after 10 minutes of no joy. I'll have another bash at it tomorrow.

If I still can't do it I'll buy the lower seat!

I've done a small Vid will link once it's loaded, easy once you have the knack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page