Replacement/Spare Keys - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Replacement/Spare Keys

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the registration process with new keys. I am trying to locate the crankshaft position sensor wire connector. I think it is under the seat, but wondering if anyone else had tried to register a spare key for the African Twin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:36 PM

Hi Salvatore, as I have a w/shop manual, I have now read what needs to be done, my advise is see your local dealer as they should know how to preform this task with their eyes closed. After buying a new spare key from them they should offer this service for free, if not contact me and I'll see if I can help you with instructions from the Manual.
Cheers.

The Burger.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 03:50 AM

After I managed to loose a key just before heading off for a week on the AT I had to have a new key cut at a locksmith then dealer coded it for me, required getting some fairing off to access a plug... not cheap 😭😭

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 04:25 AM

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Are you saying that a key has to be cut to match your original and then "coded" like an automobile electronic key? I did not know any Honda motorcycle keys were like that.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

I managed to loose a key as well in the first month of my purchase and ended up buying a spare blank from a dealer. I had it cut from a reputable locksmith (important if they stuff up the cut, its another AUD$100 bucks). It didn't fit the first time so I had to get the locksmith to take a little bit more metal off the key.

There are a few youtube vids on the registration process (for other Honda motorcycle HISS keys). Its an expensive process to go through. Whatever you do not loose both keys, or it will end up costing you $3K + for a new ECU.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:08 AM

Garage
I too inquired about a spare key for my AT and as far as I have seen its a complicated and expensive procedure. I was at a Home Depot getting a another key cut and just happened to be on the AT. I pulled the key out for the AT and asked the clerk if he could check it to see if it had a chip, he said he could tell just by looking at it that it did but when he plugged it into the chip finder it said no chip. I think that besides being lazer cut the US keys are just that, lazer cut keys. My son has a VTR 1000 Super Hawk and when he bought it used it came with two generic keys and one factory key. I once read that the Super Hawks were equipped with HISS and that if you use a non programed key in it it would disable the ignition. Well my son uses that generic key all the time with no problem. Again I don't think the US bikes are equipped with HISS but use caution I might be wrong.

2016 Silver DCT # 000051
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti04 View Post
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Are you saying that a key has to be cut to match your original and then "coded" like an automobile electronic key? I did not know any Honda motorcycle keys were like that.
Simple, from my understandings if your Ignition Switch has the letters H.I.S.S. stamped on it, than it has "Honda Ignition Security System" and if you loose the spare key, you will have to either live with 1 key or get another spare key cut and have it programed to the Switch/ECU.
If you loose both keys you will need to buy a complete new ECU+Ignition Switch with new keys and have it all fitted at your local HONDA Dealer. $$$$

The Burger.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denburger View Post
Hi Salvatore, as I have a w/shop manual, I have now read what needs to be done, my advise is see your local dealer as they should know how to preform this task with their eyes closed. After buying a new spare key from them they should offer this service for free, if not contact me and I'll see if I can help you with instructions from the Manual.
Cheers.
Howdy Denburger. I made a booking with the dealer to get the key registered next week. It takes about 1/2 hr to register for a small fee. Still curious to know the process with the registration process for future key cuts.

I think I found the red connector (yellow and white wire - CPK sensor) under the seat connected to the main harness, but trying to work out how to get to it. It is firmly secured to the plastic tray base. I managed to remove the main harness wire clip, but not sure how to remove the red connector from the tray.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestiannisalvatore@gmail View Post
Howdy Denburger. I made a booking with the dealer to get the key registered next week. It takes about 1/2 hr to register for a small fee. Still curious to know the process with the registration process for future key cuts.

I think I found the red connector (yellow and white wire - CPK sensor) under the seat connected to the main harness, but trying to work out how to get to it. It is firmly secured to the plastic tray base. I managed to remove the main harness wire clip, but not sure how to remove the red connector from the tray.
Hi Sal, (if I may call you that?) Sorry for the late reply, I left my book at work,
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'll see if that info is in the Book and let you know asap. Cheers.

The Burger.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 10:40 AM

Best video that I've found of the registration process for H.I.S.S (sorry for bastardized link but this forum doesn't yet allow me to post links):

'youtube.com + /watch?v=Sz0m7O9LuV0'

If I understand the owners manual correctly, even without any keys you can still have a key made by Honda if you know the key number or bar code as printed on key tag that should be supplied with motorcycle. I did not receive this tag with bar code when buying bike from dealership, did others ?

Owners manual also says that key number can determined from ignition switch, by removal if necessary so I don't think one ever needs to get another ECU even if you lose everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page