Auxiliary harness for 12V socket and USB - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Auxiliary harness for 12V socket and USB

Howdy all, I am interested in making my own harness for the 12V socket to power my Garmin 62S and the USB connector for phones etc. Would like to hook it up to the 4 way OEM connector to the front just behind the light (not direct to battery).

Would anyone know how to source the 4 way or 2 way OEM water proof connectors. Honda dealers should stock these connectors, but not sure if they sell to the general public. Jaycar sell a different 4 way water proof connector, but I would need to remove the existing connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 12:02 AM

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks DEET. Easternbeaver has every possible connector on the bike. I just put an order for the aux harness for the two connections and bought some spare connectors.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 03:04 AM

Garage
Aux. Connector

Hi!

Touratech (at least here in Europe) is offering such connectors (Sumitomo) as well.

Cheers, gerhard
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:56 AM

I'd like to do this mod also, but I'm not much of an electrician.

In addition to the harness, I would need the CRF1000 FPS Accessory Kit and a 12v socket correct?

Anything else?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 AM

This is what I did for my aux ports.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 07:11 AM

Garage
loads of info on this thread 12V power socket retrofit

On my posts with the wiring schematic note I think I have the arrow the wrong way round on the high beam tell, this should be coming out of the connection to switch aux lights on along with high beam, if that is your choice of course. In my schematics that would get rid of the dash switch as it is switched from this tell rather than a manual button. (either with/without a relay depending on what your lighting kit contains). I originally though this high beam tell was like the fog light tell to show your aux lights on if you wanted to light up the high beam indicator on the dash instead of the fog light indicator. I stand to be corrected but I am pretty sure this would be the case. So where I say choose which light you want to light up on the dash this is probably incorrect, you should probably only use the spare fog indicator as this definately will not be connected up to anything else unless the bike already has Honda fog lights of course!

Further down the post you might note that there was actually no OEM cable connected to my high beam tell anyway, so not an option for me to use, must only be certain models or geos maybe, dunno?

Last edited by eltel62; 11-22-2016 at 07:27 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:24 AM

eltel62 the link didn't come through in your post. Would you please post it again?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingleoj2 View Post
This is what I did for my aux ports.
Kingleoj2 - so you simply splice all three power outlets together and feed them into the Sumitomo connector? Did you put a fuse in the harness?

I see a fuse on the Honda part, and I would prefer to do it that way, but I'm not sure how it gets wired into the harness.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:03 PM

Rugged Roads also sell the terminal you need to connect to the aux power supply in the dash. They are a UK company and you will find the exchange rate pretty good at the moment. I received the part (to NZ) in 4 days when I ordered mine BTW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page