Where to splice or connect a power supply for GPS. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 17Likes

post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Where to splice or connect a power supply for GPS.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the knowledge on this forum, I'm a newbie and have been reading up on a lot of interesting threads.

I have a question to see if anyone has been successful in splicing into a powered wire to supply the GPS unit with switched power?

I know there is a USB connector on offer from Honda, and it's ridicules amount of money for a plastic tube PLUS, my dealer is saying they'll need to charge 2 hours work shop fees because it'll take that long to take the fairing off.
So therefore, I will be doing it my self. I have done this before on my Bonneville, and it's pretty easy, but I have no idea where to begin on these newer bikes.

Anyone done something similar already?

Also, where is the battery located? I'm guessing it's in a pretty water proof box? Which means it's hard to get a cable connected directly from the battery?

Thanks in advance!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washryc View Post
Also, where is the battery located? I'm guessing it's in a pretty water proof box? Which means it's hard to get a cable connected directly from the battery?
This video is useaful again! Go to time 4:24...
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 04:01 PM

Hi, the battery is located below the fuel tank on the left hand side. It's in a box behind the tool kit box.

If you download the AT accessories brochure you will see a picture of the 12v power socket with a short lead and a connector. This connector I presume just plugs into a socket already located behind the fairing. If you can find that, then you will have your power supply. Just fit a marine grade 12v cigarette type socket.

Gar.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I've seen that video also, but it's unclear to me as to HOW cables are connected to the battery.

I ask this it's because I have a zumo 390 which has a cable in which I can connect directly to the battery. This isn't the best way about it I know, but it's an initial step to get be running before I start stripping off all the fairing.

Can anyone share their experience? Is it possible to run a cable directly from the battery, route it up to the front of the dash?
This is an extremely easy job on what I usually ride, but I have never had a bike with this much fairing before, so thought to ask.

Also, I saw the assessories booklet. The booklet is in German, and my German is terrible. But it seems to read that the power unit is 78eu and I need to pay another 58eu for a cable on top.... Crazy times. Unless I'm misunderstood.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:12 PM

My plan is to alter the cradle of my 590LM and chop off all the unnessary spaghetti as I use Bluetooth for my comms. I'll then just have the black/red power wires which I'll attach the suitable plug too and run the unit off the accessory port now fitted to the dash.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
My plan is to alter the cradle of my 590LM and chop off all the unnessary spaghetti as I use Bluetooth for my comms. I'll then just have the black/red power wires which I'll attach the suitable plug too and run the unit off the accessory port now fitted to the dash.
Are you talking this butcher job? I might gonna do the same thing (just ordered same navigator) and steal power from the original 12V socket wiring.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 07:20 PM

I'm going to need to know where the high beam wire and any other wire that's switched to the ignition is at some point for things I plan to fit.

I mean, I live in the US, so I won't actually get my bike until the year 2037 probably so I'm in no rush to know... but, at some point it'd be useful info!
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Speaking of which - for the factory assessories, the 12v plug. Can anyone confirm there is a connection (with connectors) behind the fairing ready to Plug and play?

If it's just plug and play, I def would buy the factory assessories and splice into that line to keep everything clean. Plus, it's a very close spot to the front screen, which is perfect.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 03:43 AM

I have just finished fitting my Autocom under the seat + a PDM 60 + Optimate cable to the battery. I took the switched live feed from the diagnostic plug (small red connector under seat) using the Black and white wire and a Posi tap very neat, job done!

Rob.
zippysworld likes this.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 04:17 AM

Don't suppose you took any pixies @Drago? Be great to see them if you did...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page