LED Signal Lights - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 110
LED Signal Lights

Hello,


Apparently all the North American bikes in Canada and the U.S. will come with incandescent bulb signal lights,. I want to change mine to the much brighter LED version they get in the rest of the world. I know that LED's use far less power and I was wondering if they would just connect directly to the original wiring for the incandescent signal lights or would they need any type of modification. Do they just draw what they need or do you have to reduce the current. I know next to nothing about electrical but the LED lights I installed in my house just run off the regular house current, so I was hoping the same would apply to the motorcycle. Help!


EZ

Last edited by EZStreet; 05-16-2016 at 01:54 AM.
EZStreet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 40
Garage
When I put a led tail light set up on my crf 250l I had to replace the flasher unit. Other wise it will flash really fast. I got it from here.
http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/index.php

Last edited by paulwb99; 05-16-2016 at 02:11 AM.
paulwb99 is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwb99 View Post
When I put a led tail light set up on my crf 250l I had to replace the flasher unit. Other wise it will flash really fast. I got it from here.
http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/index.php




Hi Paul,


I did put an LED combination Tail Light, Brake Light and Signal Light on my CBR, as well. Maybe that's why it blinks like a demon....I didn't change anything.


EZ
EZStreet is offline  
 
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:54 AM
Junior Member
 
Skyhigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Australia, NSW & VIC
Posts: 18
Most LED kits come with a resistor.
I got a quote on genuine LED ones that come on the up spec bikes, as my Aussie base spec only has the ugly orange ones... Over $100 each!!

I'm currently looking at good aftermarket rears, and going with SW motec Kobra hand guards with integrated LEDs.

Good chance the factory relay is different between bikes as I haven't noticesed a factory resistor in the diagrams I've seen.
Steve
1litre likes this.
Skyhigh is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Most LED kits come with a resistor.
I got a quote on genuine LED ones that come on the up spec bikes, as my Aussie base spec only has the ugly orange ones... Over $100 each!!

I'm currently looking at good aftermarket rears, and going with SW motec Kobra hand guards with integrated LEDs.

Good chance the factory relay is different between bikes as I haven't noticesed a factory resistor in the diagrams I've seen.
Steve




Hi Skyhigh,


Do the LED signal lights just have two wires coming out of them or a harness
type of connection with a plug in. You might ask your dealer service what you will need to change them to the LED lights, they should be able to tell you what you need to order. We don't even have the parts online here yet and our first bikes are due in May, so basically in a few weeks. They should be able to look up what the need to do the job.....worth a try.


EZ/Paul.
EZStreet is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Junior Member
 
Skyhigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Australia, NSW & VIC
Posts: 18
Hi Paul
I just pulled my bike apart to have a look - up front there are three wires:
Earth (green both sides)
Positive ON (DRL) (orange with white line LHS, blue with white line RHS)
Positive Blinker (solid orange LHS, solid blue)

The rears just have two wires. (Earth and positive) same colours as above minus the DRL wires.

Have got lost of photos, will try to put a thread up soon. PM if you want any advice/photos.

I'm guessing a resistor will be needed but haven't played with resistance yet apart from a flash test with the rears out (which caused the flash rate to increase).
Steve
Skyhigh is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 110
Hi Steve,


I've found LED signal lights for the front and rear at much cheaper prices from China, where I'm sure they all come from. Can you tell me the length
of your signal lights so I can find the proper length LED replacements. If you
would like any info on what I've found just PM me. Thanks for your help Steve. BTW where are you?
EZ






Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Hi Paul
I just pulled my bike apart to have a look - up front there are three wires:
Earth (green both sides)
Positive ON (DRL) (orange with white line LHS, blue with white line RHS)
Positive Blinker (solid orange LHS, solid blue)

The rears just have two wires. (Earth and positive) same colours as above minus the DRL wires.

Have got lost of photos, will try to put a thread up soon. PM if you want any advice/photos.

I'm guessing a resistor will be needed but haven't played with resistance yet apart from a flash test with the rears out (which caused the flash rate to increase).
Steve
EZStreet is offline  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 06:01 AM
Junior Member
 
Skyhigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Australia, NSW & VIC
Posts: 18
Hey,
Stem to start of the 'display' is about 50mm
Overall length is about 120mm
Wiring, from tip of plug to the end of the wire is about 220mm

I've seen quite a few Chinese ones - I really want a high quality SMD, I'm actually considering OEM. Getting a little frustrated actually. Mind you, the SW Motech Kobra looks like a good way to run DRLs or an LED indicator right out on the bar ends.

I'm in Sydney/Melbourne - I usually get over to Halifax once a year.
S
Skyhigh is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 110
Hi Sky,


Seeing as 99.9% of LED lights are made in China chances are that
most of the ones you're looking at come from China too. The ones
I found sound like they are 120 mm long from where they attach to
the tip, same basic design with 5 LED .....2 pcs for $11.29 U.S. at that
price I'll probably buy 6 so I have 2 spares. They have a flexible rubber
shaft so they can take a bump too! They measure 11 x 2 x 2 cm which
isn't far off your stock flashers. They are 12V and I'm not sure if they need
any extra resistor or flasher but I will probably order a flasher with them just in case. Both items show free shipping but if that free shipping is China Post I'll pay for DHS or one of those carriers because China Post takes way to long
and they loose almost everything....
Motorcycle Speed LED Flasher Relay 2-Pin Turn Signal Relay 12V Fix Motorcycle Turn Si...
FREE shipping CAD$2.86
add To favorite (300) (3)
Add to Cart





2pcs 12V 5 LEDs Motorcycle Turn Signal Indicator Light for Suzuki GSXR 600 1000 SV Bandit - Amber Light

CAD $11.29 Discount:55% OFF FREE shipping



2pcs 12V 5 LEDs Motorcycle Turn Signal Indicator Light for Suzuki GSXR 600 1000 SV Bandit - Amber Light


Upgrade your old, bulky looking turn signals to these 5 LEDs Motorcycle Lights, which feature a sleek, slender design. They will not only make your motorbike look more modern, but are designed with flexible rubber studs which will minimize damage to them in case they are hit.











Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Hey,
Stem to start of the 'display' is about 50mm
Overall length is about 120mm
Wiring, from tip of plug to the end of the wire is about 220mm

I've seen quite a few Chinese ones - I really want a high quality SMD, I'm actually considering OEM. Getting a little frustrated actually. Mind you, the SW Motech Kobra looks like a good way to run DRLs or an LED indicator right out on the bar ends.

I'm in Sydney/Melbourne - I usually get over to Halifax once a year.
S
EZStreet is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 01:11 AM
Junior Member
 
Skyhigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Australia, NSW & VIC
Posts: 18
Thanks, good find.
Agreed that all if. Or most are made in China, I should have articulated that it's the unbranded and low quality ones I'm trying to avoid. Some of the cheap soldering I see on LEDs would shake apart pretty quickly. Rubber mounts certainly help though.

I've actually settled on Oxford Jupiters as they are the closest in Length (108mm). They are made in China, but are decent quality. Few other nice options in their range as well.

FYI, globes are marked at 21watt - so they are the resistors you'd likely need.
Ps, you'll also need blanks for the mounts as the holes is ovalish in shape and quite large. You can potentially reuse the factory base mounts with little modifying.
Skyhigh is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No LED turn signals on the US models Honda Dan Appearance & Body 5 12-31-2016 10:47 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome