Custom Seats??? Anybody making them? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Custom Seats??? Anybody making them?

It's time for me to start looking for a better touring seat for "Nellie" (my AT). The seat is fine for 2 or 3 hours but after that it gets a bit uncomfortable. Off road I can standup enough that it's not a problem but I don't think running down the road at 75+ standing up would be a good idea.

Russell Day Long makes good saddles but nothing yet for the AT. Corbin seats are known to be fairly hard and they say they need about 1000 miles to break-in. But they are expensive and my butt likes a little cushion. I saw one somewhere that has a shape more like a cruiser seat, broad at the back but still thin up front so you could standup and reach the ground when needed. If you know of any please let me know.

PS. Am I just an old fart with a skinny butt or do some of you also find it a little uncomfortable after some hours on the road?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:54 PM

I fitted a Concept seat set.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The wife likes the change because it raises the front section of the seat and it is better shaped.
I did a 900km weekend run recently and it was way more comfortable than stock.
I chose the gripper finish with carbon fibre sides.
It was a bit of a fiddle to fit the cover after bonding on the new foam to the seat base.
I used an air powered staple gun.
This my third Concept seat.
davidji likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 06:16 PM

+1 for seat concepts. I've had three of their seats on three different bikes so far and love them.

I'm not so good with install, so I just take it down to the local upholstery shop and pay them $30 to do it.

PS - if you ride in a textile suit (like my Aerostich) be sure to get the gripper seat material, otherwise your ass slides all over the place!

Last edited by Maybert73; 11-23-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling error!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 11:20 AM

Garage
I too have had good luck with Seat Concepts kits. Have done four of them so far. Planning to do the AT this winter.

I see Sargent is working on a seat for the AT (Can be hard to find as they call it an African Twin. Searches didn't find it at first.

I know the full custom places will do them if you send your pan or ride in. Mayer, Russell, etc.

I am waiting for more first hand reports as the riding season is over hear. Snow and road salt suck...
davidji likes this.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:06 AM

The OEM seat isn't comfortable for me. OK for commuting, but I'd need to fix it to tour.

Interested in Seat Concepts. I have an air stapler, so hopefully I could install it at home.

Love the Sargent seat on my FZ1. It uses a custom pan that has an indent that holds a tool can. Don't know if they could pull that off on an AT seat, but it sure would be welcome there.

MotoPumps, I'm a big fan of the AirShot!

Last edited by davidji; 11-28-2016 at 01:08 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:07 AM

Garage
Sargent is coming next summer:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The seat of Africa Twin is not bad, it's one of the best OEM seats of adventure bikes. In my mind just the KTM 1290 SA seat fits better to my a*. I really loved the heated Sargent seat on my former GS. Next summer will show, if that's also needed to Africa Twin.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:52 AM

Hello...
I dropped by Seat Concepts to get the seat done... $180
Before install
Vegas 560 miles = butt pain within 2 hrs
After install
Benton / Yosemite 700+ miles = no butt pain but a slight lower back pain- the foam is adjusted for more of a cruiser style seating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6832_1480575123574.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	11322  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 04:01 PM

Garage
Corbin just released their "high" seat. There will be a low version coming soon. This is a one piece deal replacing the stock two piece seat.

I have had mixed results with Corbin seats. I have one for my FJR that I love, one for my VStrom 650 that is quite good, but had a total debacle over the one they made for my Super Tenere. They eventually ended up taking it back.

YMMV

Rob

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 04:20 PM

Garage
A little more info from Sargent now. They are still screwing up the spelling of the name of the bike...

Rob

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:02 AM
Yak

Garage
My bike came from the previous owner with a seat concepts so I wasn't able to compare the stock seat, however I do notice that you kinda sit deep into the pan and very upright, especially when sitting back a bit. Not sure if I like it as I prefer a forward lean into the bars (Coming from sport bike world)

Rides:
2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC (sold)
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Yamaha YZ250F
2016 Honda Africa Twin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page