Pannier Rack for soft luggage - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 20Likes

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Pannier Rack for soft luggage

I have been back and forth on luggage for my Africa Twin for some time now. Hard panniers, soft luggage, ect. Well I think I have decided on the Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags as I do plan on doing a lot more off-road riding.

Here is where I am stuck. I cannot decide what pannier rack system to buy. What is everyone using for their soft luggage as far as racks go? Any pics would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:42 AM

Hi,

I have the Barrett pannier racks and ATG soft panniers. Great racks which are solid as ! The bags are very tough also.

http://www.barrettexhausts.com.au/so...nier-bags.html
1MEANGT likes this.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo17 View Post
Hi,

I have the Barrett pannier racks and ATG soft panniers. Great racks which are solid as ! The bags are very tough also.

http://www.barrettexhausts.com.au/so...nier-bags.html
Hi Stevo, thanks for the link,
I too like 1MEANGT, have found it hard to decide which to choose, but this looks like the gear for me.
I like the fact that you say "racks are solid as" and I like the idea of the removable inner.
Thanks mate, now to save up some bicky's

The Burger.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Stevo, I have looked at the Barretts. Look sturdy.

I kind of like the SW-MOTECH evo racks as well. I like that you can easily remove them when not using the bags. Just not sure how they would hold up in a drop. I am not against permanent racks but the option to remove easily is nice.
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:55 PM

The Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags matched with the SW-MOTECH evo racks look like a great combination. The only issue I have with the bags is the price - listed on the US site at $500 dollars but as a UK resident I'm redirected to a distributor here where the exact same bags are 510 or $641! Kinda puts me off.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:30 AM

Hi There
I use Mosko Moto bags on Holan racks, works really well.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

After really researching the SW-MOTECH racks I am not going to go with them. They have a permanent attachment system for off-road use which kind of defeats the purpose of easily removing them. And I don't like how they attach to the plastic rear fender. So I have narrowed it down to the Rockfox or GIVI permanent racks.

Any thoughts on asymmetrical vs symmetrical? Since the bags are the same size on each side.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:29 AM

I've had the SW Motech on a couple of bikes, including the AT.
It's easy to install and remove and sturdy - I've fallen over and crashed at speed on them and they do really well.
The fender mount is for stability, there's a steel bar between the two racks that is the real support. The nice thing about their rack is you could also add hard luggage later if you want from TRAX, GIVI/Kappa, Shad, and others. Pretty versatile and you're soft luggage mounts like it was meant to fit on the frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MEANGT View Post
After really researching the SW-MOTECH racks I am not going to go with them. They have a permanent attachment system for off-road use which kind of defeats the purpose of easily removing them. And I don't like how they attach to the plastic rear fender. So I have narrowed it down to the Rockfox or GIVI permanent racks.

Any thoughts on asymmetrical vs symmetrical? Since the bags are the same size on each side.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 07:29 AM

I just read your thread on panniers, it was very informative thank you. I have ridden street bikes for 37+ years and am now getting ready to purchase an Africa Twin for a ride across Canada. I think I have decided on the mosko moto bags (35 and 25). Looking at their video, it looks like their wedge needs to be installed on a round shaped rack. The SW Motech looks to be more rectangular shaped. Do you know if the mosko moto wedge will mount to the SW Motech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
I've had the SW Motech on a couple of bikes, including the AT.
It's easy to install and remove and sturdy - I've fallen over and crashed at speed on them and they do really well.
The fender mount is for stability, there's a steel bar between the two racks that is the real support. The nice thing about their rack is you could also add hard luggage later if you want from TRAX, GIVI/Kappa, Shad, and others. Pretty versatile and you're soft luggage mounts like it was meant to fit on the frames.
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 10:08 AM

The information on Mosko Moto's website says it'll fit on SW Motech but I'd drop them a line to be sure. They really have a slick mounting system and good quality bags. I'd like to add a set myself.

The SW Motech racks are sort of rectangular and oval shaped - not a perfectly square or round profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playhard714 View Post
I just read your thread on panniers, it was very informative thank you. I have ridden street bikes for 37+ years and am now getting ready to purchase an Africa Twin for a ride across Canada. I think I have decided on the mosko moto bags (35 and 25). Looking at their video, it looks like their wedge needs to be installed on a round shaped rack. The SW Motech looks to be more rectangular shaped. Do you know if the mosko moto wedge will mount to the SW Motech?
Playhard714 likes this.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page